Speaker Selection Help

Username: Tampapi

Post Number: 1
I am new to home theater and need a little help with selecting some floor speakers. My setup consists of:

58" Samsung Plasma

Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Receiver

Sony BDP-S550 1080p Blu-ray Player

My surround speakers consist of four ceiling mounted speakers because of the layout of our living room. We were not able to run rear speakers because of our tiled floor, etc. So we went with:

2 Proficient C650 6.5-Inch Polypropylene Lcr Angled Ceiling Speakers between TV and sitting area.

2 Proficient C620 Stereo Ceiling Speakers just over the sitting area.

Currently, I have our old Onyko front speakers that came in our original package years ago (about a foot tall) and the original subwoofer.

I would like to upgrade to a pair of floor speakers for my front channel. This is where I am lost. My budget will allow for up to $500 for a pair of speakers. I would prefer black.

I'm confused with the selection that is out there - some have a subwoofer built in, etc. I don't know if I just need plain old speakers or if these expensive speakers will add another realm to my audio.

Could someone please make a recommendation?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 708
The best suggestion is for you to go out and audition as many sets of speakers as you can in your area stores. Is this possible for you?

You will be able to make a much better choice after listening rather than simply taking someones word for it. A place to start may be with the Proficient dealer that you may have purchased your in-walls from. They should be able to tell you what would sound good with what you already have (besides Proficient in-wall fronts and center)

Hope this helps,

Username: Tampapi

Post Number: 2
Unfortunately, I am not much of an audiophile that I can actually tell the difference when listening to them in the store. My only option is Best Buy, which I tried, and the clerks have no knowledge - they are only interested in selling you something vs caring about your needs.

I purchased the ceiling speakers after a recommendation from a friend and I am happy with them - got them on Amazon.

I'm more of an online shopper and don't mind going off a recommendation.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 709
If that is truly the case then you could check out Flaunce (probably advertised on this page somewhere). Check their return policy carefully before you buy but I have been very curious as to how they sound:
You could try these:

http://www.fluance.com/fluanes1higf.html

With your current subwoofer and please let us know how happy you are!

Other brands to consider:
Polk
Paradigm
Klipsch
JBL
Infinity
The list is nearly endless!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us