Speaker placement in a bedroom ???

Username: Mtbmtb

Post Number: 7
i just bought a Lot of 12) INFINITY SPEAKERS TSS- CENTER1200/ SAT1200 there are 3 centers and 9 sats. these speakers are the exact same except the center is meant to be mounted horzontal and is rounded on both ends while the sats are mounted vertical with rounding only on top.
[url]http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-1200CH R&cat=HTS&ser=TSS&Language=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US[/url]

hadn't seen them yet, but if all are functioning and in good shape the use, what would be better? the tv (sammy ln52a750 - on the way now) and speakers will all be wall mounted. we watch from the bed and the bedroom is 16' x 16' with the tv on the south wall and your head on the pillow on the north wall. the ear level is 44" with the current center mounted at 55" and the left and right mounted at 63". i'm thinking the new tv will allow placement close to the same height.

i could mount the 3 centers (using them for left, center and right channels) across the bottom of the tv so they would be all at the same height. if so, what would be a good spacing between them? the tv is 52" wide and the speakers are about 13" long. i was thinking of centering the left and right on the edge of the tv.

should i just mount the sats for left and right and put them just above the center which would be directly below the tv. this is how i have the current setup with my 40" lcd and sammy htib.

i was thinking about mounting the back sat either from the ceiling or high on the wall (9' ceilings) on the east-west walls almost in the corner of the north wall pointed towards your head. would these be better at ear level or closer or is it better to have the back sats up above your ears - 5' above if ceiling mounted?

if i went to a 7.1 system later would i just mount the mids about 1/2 half between the front and the back?

i guess this is a problem with the bed, because my listening position is almost always going to be right against the north wall.

these are 8 ohms, what would happen if i mounted 2 speakers side by side for each center, left and right sat channels using the same output from the head unit?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 692
Greetings Mike,

Please see if this helps you at all:

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

Username: Mtbmtb

Post Number: 8
been getting mixed messages from what i've read and things people post. seems some think everything should be at ear level including the backs while some say the back surrounds should be higher and not at ear level. guess i could try both when i install, but it would be easier to figure it out now. any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 694
I am of the above the ear level crowd because listening to the diffused sound from a rear or back speaker directly at ear level can be very distracting.

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of trying both scenarios, if you can figure out a way to temporarily place the speaker, perhaps on some sort of table or even some stacked boxes and see how it goes. Of course it would also be great if you let us know how your experiment works out for you.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2088
If you have your rear speakers at ear level, simply adjust the levels on your receiver till you get the desired results.

The key is to get the level on the rears to where they are just ambient sounds, not distracting, unless the scene calls for it (like when you want to hear ricochets whizzing behind you!).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us