So I just ordered the onkyo HTS760

Warder45
Being my cheap self I ordered it refurbished from Onkyos webstore.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_detail.cfm?id=HTS760&type=3&p=i&ext_war=1

At the bottom it says, no cables, batteries, or labels. I'm not sure how bad not having labels is, and I believe the only thing that needs batteries is the remote, so that leaves cables. I did research on all this stuff a while ago but I've sort of forgotten. Anyways what cabling should I get, I remember someone saying you can go to home depot and get oxygen free copper wire for alot cheaper than name brands but I can't rememeber the gauge. It we'll be around 18-20ft of cable for one surround and 15-16ft of cable for the other, I'd assume that it'll be about 20ft for the rear as well if that helps any. Also where can I get a good/cheap subwoofer cable, since I guess I'll need one of those as well. Should I get one of those SPL things from radio shack or is that overkill for this thing?

This doesn't really relate to to above but it's another question. We have built in shelfs about 1 foot above our heads when sitting, and our couch is not more than 1/2 a foot away from the wall with the shelf, so will it be ok to set the surrounds on those shelves facing out? or will I have to tip them down some? Maybe even move them more behind our heads angled at us? Thanks for any input.

-------- _S_ My really bad drawing but hopefully you get the idea.
__o__o__|

Tim Harty
I just bought the 760 about a week ago and love it so far. I didn't use the labels myself but the speaker wires that come with it are all color coded so there wasn't really a need. It would be nice to have some labels if all the speaker wires are look the same. Everything I have read suggests using 14 gage wire for the speakers. Yes, the only batteries are for the remote. The height of your surrounds if probably close enough. I'm not sure how critical it is that they be angled directly at you. Maybe someone else will know. Not sure about sub cable.

One other feature I love on the receiver is the A/B speaker selection. I have ran a pair of speaker wires from the B terminals out to my back porch and installed a couple of outdoor speakers so we can enjoy music in our backyard as well.

Tim Harty
I forgot to ask, how much did you pay for the refurbished unit??

Warder45
I paid $449 for the set and then got a $50 2-year warrenty, so I paid $499 in the end, but got an longer warrenty. So far all the things I have that are refurb have worked great for me, like my 21' viewsonic moniter I got 6 years ago for $300 refurb, it only died on me last year.

I also forgot to ask, which type of connection is cheaper, composite or optical? I've read the very long debates and to me I think price will be the overall factor.

Lastly, has anyone tried useing a computer battery back-up device to plug your TV and stuff into? I'm not sure if there are compatiblity issues or not, I don't know much about voltages and stuff. The monster cable surge protector I saw seemed like it was over $100 and didn't have any back-up power. This way if the power spikes or goes out I can still save my game(consoles). Thanks again.

oh and thanks tim, I'll go to HD today and look for 14g wire. I guess the color coding is to help newer people like me, but if I'm not wrong they all should be the same wire anyways except for the sub cable?

MrHorspwer
My best advice for any interconnects you need... AC4L.com. They have good quality, name-brand interconnects for about the price you'd pay for the cheap stuff at Radio Shack. I think I paid $60 for 1 sub cable, 2 s-video, 2 composit video, 2 audio RCA, and 1 coax digital. That's less than $10 apiece... and the sub was a 25' cable. All cables were AR Pro Series.

You won't have to tip the speakers towards you. Personally, I believe pointing surrounds in your general direction, but not actually at you, is the way to go. You should be able to realize surround effects are happening to your left and right (and behind if 6.1), but you shouldn't be able to pinpoint their exact location. My surrounds are 3 feet above my head, pointing level and it sounds fine. An SPL meter from Radio Shack will definatly help you set each speaker level. Good investment for $35, but not nessicary.

Optical or Coax digital is your choice. Performace should be about the same if the cables are of equal quality. AC4L.com has both optical and coax for the same price... I chose coax.

Kevin Collins
Not to rub it in but I just ordered a REFURB from J&R for $372 shipped.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us