Controlling audio video devices through PC

Username: Dmehling

Post Number: 7
I have a quite limiting disability which prevents me from independently controlling audio and video devices. I can adequately control my computer so I am looking for a way to use it to operate these devices. I have found many products that can do this, but it's hard to determine how well they work. It's especially difficult to know because these are very unique products so you can't really try before you buy. I would appreciate any recommendations on such devices, or suggestions of other websites or discussion forums where I can get additional opinions.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 683
Forgive me if I am mistaken Douglas and I may well be but I am thinking of approaching this from another direction. Is it at all feasible to look into your computer being the media center rather than your computer controlling the external devices? Put another way a computer can be built that has a TV tuner and a DVD player so with a large monitor and multimedia sound you should be all set.

Does this make any sense or am I way off base?

Username: Dmehling

Post Number: 8
Well, that is a possibility but is not exactly the best plan. I am often watching TV while I am working on my computer. I just bought a new 40 inch TV, and I don't exactly like the idea of routing the TV signal to a USB tuner, and then using the TV as a second monitor. I think this is a rather complicated solution and I won't be getting the best picture possible. The PC tuners that I have researched are not exactly the best quality. I have seen many USB IR devices that can be controlled by software and send the appropriate signals to the audio/video devices. It's just difficult to find the right one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us