I bought a BR player and my reciever won't play Dolby Digital

Username: Kb6110

Post Number: 1
So i just bought a new (my first) Blu-ray player (The Sylvania NB500SL9). I was very excited to hook everything up, HDMI to my JVC 61" DLP and my Digital audio to my (old, yes i know) Sony STR-DE975. I replaced my 2006ish Panasonic upconverting DVD player with my blu ray player.

The issue is, when i had my old player hooked up, Dolby Digital would immediately be recognized and start playing through the speakers, but now that Ive hooked up the BR player, the only audio output that comes up is Dolby Prologic. There is no way for me to change it to Dolby Digital on the receiver, it recognizes it automatically and tells me the signal on the display. Just to be sure, i unplugged the new BR player, and plugged in my DVD palyer, and sure enough, Dolby Digital started working immediately. I dont know what to do.

I messed around with the settings on the BR player, and did everything i could, but there was just no way i could get Dolby Digital to output from the new BR player.

Also, Ive tried both fiber optic and coaxial audio, and the old player does DD perfectly, and the new one only does PL.

Am I approaching the problem wrong? Is my BR player somehow incompatible with playing Dolby Digital? Is my BR player somehow damaged or something?(though i dont think its damaged.)
Could the receiver be playing the proper audio (DolbyDigital), but not recognizing the right signal or something, and therefore being read as PL?

Sorry for all the questions, Im new to the forum, and in quite a distress over this issue, especially since i just spent all this money on the new BR player and Im not receiving optimal results.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 670
Greetings Kyle,

I hate to tell you this but your Sony receiver cannot handle the digital audio signal put out by your new BD player (even though Sony invented the technology). The solution as recommended by Sony (number 4):

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc &externalId=C82624&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&dialogID=2544449 8&stateId=1%200%2025446161

The bottom line is that the Sony's solution is to use the analog RCA (red/white) connectors.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2430
­
Kyle, your Sony receiver should definitely handle the DD 5.1 bitstream that your Funai-made Sylvania BD player can output on its coax digital out jack. The Sylvania owner's manual isn't available, but it should be the same as the Magnavox MB500MG9, which can be read here:

http://funai-corp.com/6pdf/om/NB500MG9.pdf

Somewhere in the "FUNCTION SETUP MENU" there's a solution to your problem. If I read the manual right, you go to quick audio setup and progress through this sequence:

QUICK®HDMI AUDIO OUT®AUDIO MUTE®DIGITAL OUT®BITSTREAM

Your receiver should then recognize the DD 5.1 signal, just like with the old Panasonic DVD player.
­

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 672
This is what I was looking for:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc &externalId=C549452&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&dialogID=670874 &stateId=1%200%20678695

Post Number: 2
Thank you both very much for your responses. Im working now to test John S' theory. I have the manual if that makes a difference, but your instructions sound pretty good.

To Jim Bay, I'm hoping your report isn't true, but I fear it is. My only confusion is, when I put a DVD in the BR player, wouldn't it be able to output Dolby Digital sound? Ill get back to you guys when i try the suggestions. Thank you again.

Post Number: 3
Thank you both for your help, but John S, you've fixed my problem! You're a real life saver. It seems like a really roundabout way for a company to program a BR player, where it doesn't recognize the audio out of the box, but thank you again!
You dont know how much of a help you've been.
Now, on to sampling my new BR Dolby Digital Setup!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us