Onkyo ht-s650 vs. Denon dht-682xp vs. kenwood htb-505

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Onkyo ht-s650 vs. Denon dht-682xp vs. kenwood htb-505 (Page 1)Anonymous50
Onkyo ht-s650 vs. Denon dht-682xp vs. kenwood htb-505 (Page 2)Alan50
Onkyo ht-s650 vs. Denon dht-682xp vs. kenwood htb-505 (Page 3)k50
Onkyo ht-s650 vs. Denon dht-682xp vs. kenwood htb-505 (Page 4)po50
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Sorry, but the new htb-505 is what I wanted an opinion about. Not the hard to find 544.

TF
Just wanted to say thanks for all the input on the Onkyo. My husband and I just ordered the HT S650 and can hardly wait to experience it!

Peter Klose
PO:
I am getting Dolby digital but not DTS. I think I have just not played a source coded in DTS. Thansk for the info. Is there a way to get rid of the artifacts? HDTV?

Nick
I just bought the HT-S650 and hooked it up today. How do you get surround sound when watching ordinary tv? when watching movies and stuff, its great, i think i can tell a difference in sound. However, how do you get the same effects for TV? Another stupid question, in order to play a DVD in Dolby Digital, you have to connect the audio using coaxial or optical right? So far, only the ProLogic II light has come on, Dolby Digital has not. Anyone wanna give me some tips for any of my stupidity problems?

Anonymous
Whenever the input source is Dolby Digital, no sound comes out of the surround speakers of my HT-S650. I've tried using both Stereo and Dolby D listening modes. With Dolby D, i don't get sound out of the Front speakers either, only the center. With Stereo, i get sound from the front speakers and the center. Can anyone help? Oh, the surrounds do work. I've tried playing movies in PL II and they work just fine.

Anonymous
I purchased the unit on Monday from soundcity.com for $434 with free shipping. It was delivered to a warehouse in KY on Wednesday. Picked it up from warehouse Wednesday, Installed yesterday. Everything works and souds great! Very pleased with sound. Great Value for the money.
Thanks for all the tips and advise on this board from all who have contributed. Made the install simple, and had no problems with unit getting hot.

Nate
I'm in the market for the HT-S650 but have a sort list of questions I thought someone could help me with.

1) Seeing as devices uses different connections for video (component for DVD, S-Video for my laptop, RCA for VCR), how does the TV know what to use as its input? Seems like it would be a pain to always have to select the audio input for the receiver and the video input for the TV seperately.

2) I'm confused on the actual wattage supplied by the receiver in the HT-S650. I've seen this system advertised as 100W per channel. But I've also read that the receiver only puts out about 70W. Is the 100W the speakers' limit, but the receiver is just not utilizing all of it by outputing a lower wattage?

3) If DVD players' audio output can be set to Dolby Digital or DTS how do you know when to use which output type.

4) Is the original Pro-logic I decoding needed if you have Pro-logic II? I've noticed some receivers have Dolby Digital, DTS and Pro-logic II but not the basic Pro-logic I (HT-S650 has all 4 though).

5) I'd like to hear some comments on the reliability and return/exchangeability of online stores. I'm hesitant to purchase online, despite the better price, for fear of getting stuck with something defective and getting the run-around from online companies.

6) What are the best settings for listening to music?

Thanks for any help,

Nate

Nate
I'm also weighing the possibility of buying a factory refurbished unit directly from Onkyo. Although these systems are cheaper, I am concerned about the over-heating/shut down that some users have experienced. Its my guess that these are the units that have been refurbished. Any thoughts?

Nate

docwarri
For the coaxial connection on the Onkyo S600, what kind of cable should be used?

Peter Klose
docwarri:
You have to get a digital coax cable. Radio shack has em.

Peter Klose
Nick:
You asked:
How do you get surround sound when watching ordinary tv?
You change the audio mode to PLII. That will simulate surround sound for regular TV programs. It works pretty well. Unless the source is recorded and broadcast in Digital Suround, you will have to settle for PLII. The reciever should sense what the source is and switch automatically. I have directv and notice that some movie channels (Action) say they are broadcasting in dolby digital but the reciever stays in PLII mode but the main movie channels work fine (HBO, CINEMAX, Showtime ect.)

You also wrote:
Another stupid question, in order to play a DVD in Dolby Digital, you have to connect the audio using coaxial or optical right?

Yes..and you must assign that component (DVD, Video1, video2 ect) to the correct digital input.

Peter k
Nate:
Question 1: You have to switch, it is a pain. Whatever the video input is to he reciever...it uses the same output (eg. svideo in/svideo out) (RCA in/RCA out). I have everything using s-video (satellite tuner & DVD player) execept my VCR which is RCA. So when I use the VCR i have to switch the input on the TV.

Question 2:
I believe it is 100 wattes per chanel and 150 watt powered subwoffer. It is plenty..it cranks. Much better than the Kenwood or sony.

Question3:
Turn both modes (Dolby and DTS) on in your your DVD player. The tuner should sense which code it is being sent and switch automajically. (just make sure you have that input mapped to the correct digital input.)

Question4:
I think PLII is just an improved version of PLI. I have not seen a PLI option on my reciever.

Question5:
I bought mine from soundcity.com for $434 including shipping. Great deal. I havent had to return anything but they seem very good. Can always get a human on the phone quickly. Trust them. I think that there proice is better than the refurbished unit direct from ONKYO.

Question 6:
Depends on you preference. But there are 2 different PLII settings. PLII movies and PLII Music. Plus a bunc of other preset listening modes...like studio, concert ect...

Anonymous
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on picking up 2 HT-650s (1 for me and 1 for my parents), but have some questions. My Dad's into name brands and would prob. appreciate the Bose Lifestyle. I know most people think the Bose 3-2-1 system is overpriced and not all that good, but how does the HT-650 compare to the Lifestyle line (I know the prices run from $1500-3500)? Is there any comparison? Does the Bose live up to it's price and blow the HT-650 out of the water? Any help/advice greatly appreciated!Thanks in advance!

Nate
Thanks Peter.

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm looking to buy a 27" TV. I don't want anything fancy, just something 27" with component video in. I want good picture quality but sound is unimportant because I'll be putting it through the Onkyo HT-S650 anyway. I don't know if getting a flat tube TV is worth the extra expense or not. Does anyone have tips for a brand/model of TV I should get?

Nate

Hi guys
I have a very nice sound card ( sound blaster Audigy2 platinum ) , Do you have any idea which one would do a better job for me, Buying a high end pc speaker set ( like Logiteck Z-680 THX ) or hooking up my sound card with HT-S650/kenwood htb-505 ? My sound card has an optical out put.
PLZ guid me ....

Anonymous
Question for you experts out there...
I can get the HT-S650 for the Circuit City employee price, which is a GREAT price. However, would I be any happier with the receiver that is the next model up, as opposed to the one that comes with this system? Also, would you recommend going with the DVCP500 DVD/CD player (I have an RCA DVD player now, but no progressive scan), or a straight CD player? And should I stick with Onkyo? Thanks!

Go to www.onkyousa.com for the best price

HTS650
HTS650 HOME THEATER IN-A-BOX
$329.25 ea.

HTS650 with 2 year extended warranty
$379.25

intro features specs

We've just made your life easier by taking the guesswork out of matching the correct speakers with the correct receiver. Starting at the center of your home theater system, we offer you the HT-R500 surround sound receiver. Your movies are brought to new levels of enjoyment with DTS, Dolby Digital and Dolby ProLogic II from high-quality parts that have no equal in this class.

Surround yourself with the six piece sonically matched SKS-HT500 speaker system's enveloping soundfield for your movies or music. Hook up your DVD player, CD player, VCR...the possibilities seem endless with the plentiful amount of A/V inputs and outputs on the back of the HT-R500. Peace of mind, incredible performance, and a great price! What more could you ask for.

Matt
Nate,

I just received the KV-36FV300 Sony tv. It's 36", but I'm pretty sure they make a 27" model. It's a very VERY nice television set. Although it weighs a ton, it has alot of hookups in the back including s-video, component and all the other necessary stuff. Check it out in the stores before you purchase. I'm sure it would compliment any home theater system.

Nick M
As far as returning any defective parts if you ordered online, couldn't you just take it to a local Onkyo dealer and have them exchange it for you? Also, how hot is too hot. I have become paranoid now after reading about other peoples problems with these getting really hot. If it doesn't shut off do you think it matters how hot it gets? Mine seems to get pretty hot when I play music for extended periods at above sane levels (80+). I expect it to get hot but it is really hot. What do you all think?

Graben
Thanks for the advice everyone!! Just got it yesterday, holy crap does it sound nice. Even my cd's sound great. Oh yeah talking about the 650

Anonymous
What mode should i use for listening to music? Dolby Pro Logic 2 Music or All Channel Stereo? Also, when i change my individual speaker settings, they change back to whatever they were before as soon as i shut off the receiver.

Anonymous
I use All Channel Stereo mode for listening to music on my Onkyo HTS650.

Blue King
I wonder how much is the difference between HT-R500 and TX-SR500? A CircuitCity rep told me that the TX-SR500 has better current and better sound. But he said you can barely feel the difference. Any one knows what exactly is the difference? BTW, the manual said that all channel stereo is for listening to background music.

Anonymous
Are you ready to give up your warranty to save a few bucks? Read on my friends.

Onkyo USA Limited Warranty

PLEASE RETAIN YOUR ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE AS YOU WILL NEED TO PRESENT IT SHOULD YOU REQUIRE SERVICE UNDER THIS WARRANTY.

Onkyo USA Corporation (hereinafter referred to as Onkyo) hereby warrants all Onkyo products PURCHASED DIRECTLY FROM ONKYO OR AN ONKYO AUTHORIZED DEALER, in accordance with the following terms and conditions:

WARRANTY PERIOD (from date of purchase):

New Products:
Receivers & Amplifiers 2 years Parts & labor
Tuners, Equalizers & Processors 2 years Parts & labor
Cassette Decks & Mini Disc 1 year Parts & labor
CD, DVD Players & Turntables 1 year Parts & labor
Speakers 2 years Parts & labor
Multimedia Products 1 year Parts & labor
Mini systems 1 year Parts & labor

Refurbished Products:
Receivers & Amplifiers 1 year Parts & labor
Tuners, Equalizers & Processors 1 year Parts & labor
Cassette Decks & Mini Disc 1 year Parts & labor
CD, DVD Players & Turntables 1 year Parts & labor
Speakers 1 year Parts & labor
Mini systems 1 year Parts & labor

SCOPE OF WARRANTY:

From the date of original purchase and for the respective periods specified above, Onkyo agrees to repair, at its sole expense, all Onkyo products purchased directly from Onkyo or an Onkyo Authorized Dealer, which are defective in material and/or workmanship.

EXCLUSIONS:
This Warranty does not apply with respect to the following:

1. Defects or damage caused by accident, fire, flood, lightning or other acts of God.
2. Defects or damage caused by abuse, misuse, negligence or failure to observe the instructions contained in the manual furnished at the time of original purchase.
3. Damage caused during shipment or handling.
4. Products purchased from anyone other than Onkyo or an Onkyo Authorized Dealer. If you are uncertain as to whether a dealer is authorized, please contact Onkyo's Customer Relations Department or check the Dealer and Service Locator at our web site: http:\www.onkyousa.com.
5. Products that have had their serial numbers altered or removed.
6. Products purchased in "AS IS" condition.
7. Products that have been altered or repaired by anyone other than Onkyo or an Onkyo authorized service station in a manner that has affected their performance, stability or reliability.
8. Accessories attached to or to be used with Onkyo products, such as antennas, batteries, cables, etc.
9. Packing materials and cosmetic items.
10. Parts which have prescribed useful lives dependent upon the degree of their use, such as styli, cassette heads, idler wheels, etc.
11. Installation and removal of Onkyo products.
12. Maintenance, cleaning or periodic check-ups.
13. Adjustments or alterations required for compatibility with conditions pertaining to foreign countries.
14. Products used continuously or for commercial applications. Onkyo products are intended for consumer use and are not designed for continuous or commercial use. In the event that the products concerned have been used commercially or continuously, the warranty period is limited to 90 days from the date of purchase.

OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE:
To obtain warranty service, take or ship your Onkyo product to an Onkyo Authorized Service Center, together with a note describing your complaint and your copy of the dated purchase receipt. Please also include in any mailing a contact name, address and telephone number. If you choose to ship your Onkyo product to an Onkyo Authorized Service Center, all shipping arrangements must be made by you and all shipping charges and insurance must be fully prepaid. Any Onkyo product shipped in its entirety must be shipped in its original carton. Onkyo will pay all return shipping charges for Onkyo products that have been serviced under this warranty.
Any service or repair for items not covered by this limited warranty shall be at the Authorized Service Center's rates and terms then in effect. Contact an Onkyo Authorized Service Center for details.

LIMITATIONS:
Onkyo makes this warranty subject to the following limitations:

1. This Warranty is valid only within the territory of the United States of America. To be covered by this warranty the Onkyo product concerned must have been purchased directly from Onkyo or an Onkyo Authorized Dealer and the person seeking warranty service must reside in one of the states of the United States of America or in the District of Colombia. This warranty extends only to the original purchaser and cannot be transferred to anyone.
2. ONKYO SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. THE RESPONSIBILITY OF ONKYO UNDER THIS WARRANTY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE REPAIR OF DEFECTIVE ONKYO PRODUCTS BY ONKYO OR ITS AUTHORIZED SERVICE STATIONS.
3. This warranty is valid only with respect to repairs effected by Onkyo or an Onkyo authorized service station.
4. ALL WARRANTIES OTHER THAN THE EXPRESS WARRANTY HEREIN CONTAINED INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD SET FORTH ABOVE.

Anonymous
The HT-S650 will equal or exceed any system costing $3000.00 or less. Get the Monster Home Theater Kit 100 and you will never have a problem with overheating.

Anonymous
You can purchase the Onkyo HT-S650 straight from the Onkyo website for $329.00 + $50.00 for a 24 month warranty + no tax and no charge for shipping.

ATTENTION ALL KENWOOD HTB-505 AND ONKOYO HT-S650 OWNERS OF MORE THAN 30 DAYS.

PLEASE SEND IN REVIEWS NOW TO SETTLE THIS LONG RUNNING DEBATE.

WHICH SYSTEM IS THE BEST FOR AN AVERAGE SIZED LIVING ROOM, SAY 12 X 16, WHEN LISTENING TO BROADTCAST TV 60% OF THE TIME, DVD MOVIES 20% OF THE TIME AND VCR MOVIES (TAPED FROM TV) 20% OF THE TIME.

LAY IT ON THE LINE, TELL IT LIKE IT IS, DO NOT PULL ANY PUNCHES. LET'S SETTLE THIS DEBATE RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

Anonymous
Opinions will still be subjective unless people have actually set up & tried both systems in their home and used them in the manner which you specified--which is pretty unlikely

Anonymous
Can someone post the link to the $329 deal for HTS650. I don't see anything at shoponkyo.com Thanks

Anonymous
I have never heard the HTS650 system. I was just about to take my Panasonic HE70 Receiver and Sony SAVE335 speakers back to get the Onkyo TXSR500 Receiver and a Jamo sub Satt speaker system. Found out about the HTS650 and now want that but it has to be special ordered in Vancouver Canada and I can't give it back if I don't like it. By the way also have a Pair of Polk audio R30 speakers for my 2 channel cd listening which is important for me.
My hesitation is that I don't know what the Receiver is that comes with this package. Is it a good quality Receiver like the TXSR500 or TXSR600 Receiver from Onkyo. It is definitely neither of these 2. It seems to have more power that both but the specs available are conflicting and misleading.
Does anyone out there know exactly what this receiver is and does it have the same quality of build and more important the same quality of sound as the other 2 Onkyo's.
Can someone give me some real technical, knowledgeable info so that I can buy this unseen and unheard and still enjoy my music through my PolkAudo speakers if need be.

Bruce
I have been looking into getting a Home Theater system (receiver and speakers) and am debating many possibilities. I want to keep it under $600 and had pretty much written off the HTIB until reading about the HTS650 the other day. I saw it at CC and was impressed. How do you think this would compare with buying a separate receiver (I can get the Yamaha HTR5560 or Denon AVR1802 for $299 open box at a local store) and combining with a $200-$300 speaker system. If separate is better, any suggestions for speaker systems. I'm not sure I like the size of the Onkyo speakers in this package, but it is not a show-stopper. Any advice would be appreciated, but obviously this is a very pro-Onkyo group :)

Anonymous
Which is the better receiver for 2 channel listening to music, the TXSR500 or the HTR500 that comes with the 650 system. Also will the TXSR500 drive the SKS-HT500 speakers which on paper are very inefficient. Room is 20" x 14".

Thanks

Nate
I'm curious what settings other Onkyo (HT-S650) owners are using for their base setup. How high do you have the bass adjustment turned up on the subwoofer itself? What bass level do you use on the receiver (+2, +4, +6, etc.)? And, what is everyone using for a crossover?

Also, is it just me, or just Pro-Logic II sound quiter than the other stereo settings? Playing music with All Channel Stereo sounds much louder and fuller than using Pro-Logic II Music. Any comments?

Nate

Anonymous
Thanks all for the great posts!

I went to CC yesterday to listen to, and compare, the Sony and Onkyo HTS650 systems. Many of you have posted, and I agree, that the Onkyo delivers superior sound fidelity than the smaller Sony satelite speakers. Also, the Subwoofer is indeed quite powerful!

CC, however, wouldn't reduce their $499 price on the HTS650 (they told me it that this was a sale price that ends Sunday evening?).

So I went to the Sound City web site (soundcity.com) and sure enough, they are having one of their 13% off sales (they are calling it a New Year's sale) that some of you have mentioned that they run from time to time. Total cost for the $499 system with no sales tax and free shipping is $436.08 (they charge $1.95 for insurance).

Btw - I verified that Sound City is an authorized Onkyo dealer as they are listed on the Onkyo USA site.

I can't wait to receive the system and set it up. Thanks again all for the great info!

PS I may be back if I have problems with the set up!

PPS I hope the receiver doesn't overheat!

trek_mudcat
Went to CC yesterday and after 20 minutes of waiting and no demo, I'm going to purchase the HTS650 from SoundCity via last post and all the + notes on the unit

I still may be in market for a 5 dvd/cd unit. I saw the Sony at CC for 179 but do I need to get a unit with Progressive scan?

Again Great Feedback.....

Anonymous
I believe progressive scan is useless unless you have HDTV. I may be wrong, but when I was looking into DVD players some time back I thought I read that.

cmrbreno13
I just bought the HTB505 (picking it up at the UPS office tonight) and I got it for less than $440. I am upgrading from just stereo TV speakers so I figured this buy was best for me. I mean, I couldn't beat that price anywhere which was $428 with shipping. I am not an audio fanatic so I can't see myself buying a $2,000 system at this time. I have a small apartment where I watch DVD's and I play Xbox and Gamecube most of the time I'm at my apartment. I bought my system from Camera Club, which you can visit their site at www.cameraclub.com . I can't wait till I get it setup....also, I found some speaker wire at Bestbuy which says it will improve the sound. But by how much will it improve the sound? I don't want to have to buy something extra if I don't have to so any help would be much appreciated.

I bought the HTS-650 from Circuit City in Columbus, Ohio for $400.10 . A competitor (HH Gregg) had them on sale for $410.00 and CC beat their price. I was considering the Sony HDW840 but I didn't like the sub-woofer in the sony. The Onyko takes up more space but delivers a broader spectrum of sound. I originally bought the Sony SAC 450 Dream system, but returned it after reading poor reviews about reliablity. Also this system was not very load at all.

Anonymous
I have not been able to find a $329.25 price from Onyko, it is $439.00 and the Sound City web site shows it for $434, BUT if you call them they tell you it is on backorder and may take 2 months. Sounds like a great deal from the Circuit City in Columbus, but when I called a store in Columbus, it was $499.00. HH Gregg does not have it in stock, but their price is $449.00. So, seems like this puppy is hard to find and changes prices quite regularly. Can anyone get the prices mentioned in the recent postings, and more importantly get it from a place that has it in stock?

Chris
Recently bought the Onkyo HTS-650 after much deliberation. Though it isn't quite as loud as I'd like (vaulted ceilings probably don't help), overall I am very happy with this system. Setup was easier than I expected and it sounds great.

Has anyone else out there had any difficulty setting up a cable box w/ S-Video and digital out (coax)??? I'm having a nightmare trying to get this done.

Chris

greg esb
Just got off the phone with soundcity.com (800-370-3156). I ordered the Onkyo 650 for $434 about 2 weeks ago. It has been on backorder since then, but they are getting them in today! He said they have 37 of the 49 units that are coming in sold already. BETTER HURRY.

Chris - I will have the same issue as you do with the digital cable box setup (s-video, coax digital connections). Will you please let me know if you get it figured out?

Thanks,
Greg

Anonymous
Thought I would add my 2cents...Went to Circuit City in Northern CA last weekend to look at the Onkyo HTS-650 one last time before ordering it from soundcity.com and the sales guy asks if I want to buy the system. I explain that soundcity has a much better price and I don't expect him to match. He comes back 10 minutes later and matches the price. I still have to pay sales tax but I did get to take it home that day and can take it back to CC if something goes wrong. I am very happy with the purchase. It seems all Circuit Citys are different.

Anonymous
Thought you might like to know...Sound city is back ordered on the Onkyo 650 for 30 orders. About a ten day wait. Well worth the wait for the money I think.

Anonymous
I called SoundCity today and they said they are expecting a shipment of the HTS-650's tomorrow (Jan-14). Not sure where you heard about the 2 month backlog.

Anonymous
Its not a 2 month backlog. They have 30 on back order. They told me it would be about a 10 day waiting period before they ship it. No big deal, I'll wait a few days to save $100.

Anonymous
Heres the email I received from sound city..

"We will get 18 in by the end of this week,,but we have 30 backorders so it
will probably take 10 days more to fill any new orders"

I don't know much about home surround sound and how to hook it up. I do know I want the Onkyo 650 and monster cable. I will be buying it sometime this month. Can someone tell me what gauge of monster cable to get? Also I noticed in the reviews someone hooked up PS/2 with it. If anyone has done this can you please e-mail me a photo of how you did hook it up? I want highly appreciate it.
mrouse@insightbb.com is my e-mail address.
Thanks

Jay
Help!!! for setting up digital input from the DVD.
Has anyone successfully set up DTS or Dolby Digital sound for HT-S650? When I set up DTS or Dolby Digital as an input signal from DVD, I don't get any sound at all, even though the LCD screen of the receiver shows (and sometimes blinks) DTS sign (however, no digital Dolby sign appeared ever).
I've tried both an optical cable and the coaxial cable. Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
Hi, Jay. I'll take a crack at helping you out. This requires two messages. This message includes the first two steps. The next message includes two more steps.

I just set up my Sony DVD with the HTS650 last night. I used an digital optical cable (and not the digital coaxial cable). It took some time and there are several steps. If you followed the Onkyo directions correctly, it sounds like your problem could be with the DVD audio setup.

1. The Onkyo receiver has a DTS decoder and so does your DVD player (I would suspect). Look at your DVD manual and set up the audio output so that the receiver - and not the DVD - decodes the sound. You'll have to go through the "Audio Setup" routine and follow the directions in you DVD manual. Make sure you set the DVD audio output to "Dolby Digital" and make sure the DVD audio is set up to allow the HTS650 - and not the receiver - to do the DTS decoding.

2. Make sure your connections correct, e.g. check that you've attached the optical cable to the HTS650 optical 1 or optical 2 slot.

Anonymous
3. Check the HST650 manual to properly set up the digital audio inputs. (see page 22 of the manual). Make sure the audio input you select is the same as the wire input you selected in step 1 above (e.g. "DVD Opt1").

4. Select the proper input signal format. (I think the info is on page 28 of the manual). To fix the digital signal to DTS or PCM, (i) Press AUDIO SELECTOR on the main unit (or AUDIO SEL on the remote controller) to select "Auto"; (ii) While "Auto" is displayed, press the "Preset Adjust" arrow keys. Each press of the button switches the display between Auto/PCM/DTS. Select DTS.

That's how I got Dolby Digital.

PLEASE HELP I'm confussed. I'm buying the Onkyo 650 Tuesday 1/28/03 with Monster cable. Is there anything I should know about hooking it up that the manual doesn't let me know? What gauge Monster cable should I get? I keep reading that it sounds great once you get it set up right. I'm new to the surround sound world. I have a P/S 2, Philips 50" TV and a old Panasonic VCR. I'm buying a new DVD player soon. Not sure what brand, but if anyone as a suggestion for a DVD player(around $120.00) that would be great also. TV has a S-Video hook up. I see things like banana plugs, digital coaxial cables and optical cables also the rear speakers should be a certain height. What I really need to know is what do I need to do to get the best sound. My TV isn't HD or Digital. I would highly apperciate any help that some could give.
Thanks
mrouse@insightbb.com

Anonymous
Well, check out the onkyousa.com for your solution.

Anonymous
Folks can anybody out there let me know where can I get a good deal on HST650.
Thanks

Anonymous
yeah thats easy www.soundcity.com they run 13% deal regularly. Keep an eye on their site. $434 Free shipping and no tax. Got mine worked out great...

Anonymous
I have Onkyo HST650 which I bought from www.soundcity.com, now I am moving over to Stockholm where in I need to use 240V.
1. So can I use a step down transformer(240V to 110V)
2. Will the 50Hz frequency that is used in Stockholm create any problems for HST650 which requires 60Hz.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Anonymous
I have these speakers that came with my computer polk audio and they donot work, and I have been trying to get in touch with the company on how to download the driver. No luck, all I keep getting is purchasing speakers. What is the contact number?

Anonymous
I have the Onkyo 650 HTIB, could someone explain to me how I can't get the surround sound to come out of my tv shows, everthing works fine when I watch a dvd movie, but not the regular tv, u can email me with subject Onkyo 650 to stardust484us@yahoo.com any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous
For the move to Stockholm, go ahead and spend the extra money to purchase a true tranformer that goes from 110v50 to 200-240v50. I bought a set in Houston in the late 80s and have lived all over the world with my ever changing hifi collection - I just recently brought my 939 back from Australia where it worked just fine w/a transformer on 230v50.

Hey, I don't know if anyone pays attention to this thread anymore, but I just purchased the Onkyo HTS650 from CircuitCity with my college graduation money and wanted to say a HUGE thanx to the people who posted in this thread.

i am incredibly happy with my invenstment and fortunately got one w/o the LFE problem! not only that, but CC was out of stock the day i purchased it and told me to come back the next day (when they were receiving a new shipment). when i came to pick it up, the sales lady said it just went on sale that day, and told me to ask for a refund of the difference. without a question, i got somewhere around $50 back in cash!

i have yet to replace the speaker cables with higher grade cable, but damn, it blows my old AIWA surround system AWAY! bass response is amazing and the surround sounds so much better! right now, i've got a fibre optic cable running from my SBLive! add-on card (Hoontech DB-III Digital I/O add-on) and get wonderful surround sound with DVDs and DivX ripped with AC3 audio. I've got my S-Video out on my nVidia GeForce2 MX sent to a converter and then to the system (my current tv only has rca-style video).

i am incredibly impressed and pleased with the system. the only complaint that i have is that i wish the remote could control subwoofer mode and the Onkyo label on my subwoofer is ever-so-slightly crooked. other than that? nothing. this is an amazing system at an amazing price. thanks again to everyone who posted reccommendations for this beast!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us