Setting up Blu-ray, HDTV, Cable, Wii, Mac mini to Receiver

Username: Almostfamous84

Post Number: 1
Ok... I will mail you cash/check for 20+ bucks if you can help me get up and running...

I just bought a Yamaha HTR-6130 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver and Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Disc Player. I currently have Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC HDTV Time Warner Cable Box, Wii, and Mac Mini. My TV is a Samsung HL-R4266W 42 in Rear projection TV.

My goal is to have someone help me decide where to plug in what to each device while still using the max resolution and best quality sound possible with my 5.1 speakers.

Here is what is available:

Yamaha HTR-6130 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver
Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Digital Surround (New), HDMI, 6 Ch Ext Input, Silent Cinema and Virtual Cinema DSP, Compressed Music Enhancer, Scene.
Component Video:
DVD: Pr Bb Y
DTV/CBL: Pr Bb Y
DVR: Pr Bb Y
Monitor Out: Pr Bb Y
Multi Ch Input:
Front: L R
Surround: L R
Center
Subwoofer
Digital Input:
Optical CD
Optical DTV/CBL
Coaxial DVD
HDMI:
Out
DVD
DTV/CBL
Video:
DVD
DTV/CLB
DVR: In Out
Monitor Out
Audio:
DVD: L R
DTV/CBL: L R
DVR In: L R
DVR Out: L R
CD: L R
MD/CD-R: In (Play): L R
MD/CD-R: Out (Rec): L R

Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Disc Player
Full HD 1080p, DVD Upscaling, 7.1 channel analog output, Dolby® TrueHD internal decoding, Ethernet port, BD-Live2, Bonus View, 24p True Cinema, BRAVIA® Sync for Theatre5, Precision Cinema, BD/DVD/CD and AVCHD playback, xvYCC color, Precision Drive system, xross media bar, USB Port
Component Video Out: Y Pb Pr
Line Out: S Video
Line Out: Audio L R
Multi Channel Output: Front L R, Surround L R, Sur Back L R, Center, Sub Woofer
Digital Out: Optical, Coaxial
Line Out: Video
HDMI: Out

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC HDTV Time Warner Cable Box
Cable In
Cable Out
Pr Pb Y/V
Digital Audio Out
Out 2 (Secondary Video and Audio Out)
Audio Out (L R)
Optical Audio Out
S-Video Out
HDMI

Samsung HL-R4266W 42 in Rear projection TV
2 x Component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear
2 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - Rear
1 x Composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear
2 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear
3 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear
1 x HDMI ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - Rear
2 x RF input ( F connector ) - Rear
1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - Side
1 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Side
1 x SPDIF output ( TOSLINK ) - Rear

Nintendo Wii: Component Out (L R V)

Mac Mini: DVI out, Audio Out (stereo)

Thank you oh so very much in advanced as I greatly appreciate any help what so ever!

Thanks again,
Confused Blake

Silver Member
Username: Ecoustics

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 240
Ideally you want to connect everything through your receiver via HDMI, but the Yamaha HTR-6130 only has two HDMI inputs.

Connect the Blu-ray player and Cable box to the receiver's HDMI inputs labeled DVD & DTV/CBL respectively.

Connect the HDMI out from the receiver to the HDMI input on the TV.

If you're just using sound through your TV's speakers you'll be OK, but if you have speakers connected to your receiver you'll need to connect audio cables to the digital inputs from each component.

See note from the manual:

quote:

Audio signals input at the HDMI jack are not output from any speaker terminals but output from the connected video monitor.

To enjoy the sound from speakers connected to this unit,
- make an analog or digital connection besides the HDMI connection (see page 16).
- mute the volume of the connected video monitor.

The Mac mini creates a further complication because of its DVI output. You might look for a DVI to HDMI cable/adapter and connect the red/white audio cables into the receiver.

For the Wii, use the (red/white/yellow) rca cables from the Wii into the receiver.

Since your receiver doesn't have enough HDMI inputs you'll either have to manually re-connect the desired component, or use component video (Pr Pb Y/V) for one item (probably the cable box).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us