Newb: Need Help

Username: Makaveli_187

Post Number: 1
I recently just purchased a 40 inch Samsung LCD TV.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010 099644&catid=24558

I am thinking about purchasing a home theatre system. However, all of the In box packages generally don't sound that great. I was hoping to build my own, but I lack experience in this field. So I was hoping someone here can help me out.

I am looking to connect the following to my home theatre:

Digital Cable HDPVR - Has HDMI Output

Xbox 360 - Component HD outputs

Samsung BD1500 Blu Ray Player - Has HDMI Output

I am looking for something that sounds amazing for a cheap cost. If someone can advise me of what kind of speakers/how many I need. A good affordable subwoofer and ofcourse a receiver where I can connect all of these too.

All the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post Number: 2
^^Looking for something with good tight bass. Quality sound! Best bang for the buck! Thanks!

Post Number: 3
Also note, the room that it is in, is not very big. Need something with some clarity, some thump, not super loud. It's in an apartment building, can't have the neighbours complaining!

Post Number: 4
How is the Onkyo TX-SR506 receiver? and what speakers would be best suited for this? 3 HDMI inputs should be enough for me. As i'd still have one extra, cause my xbox is component. }

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2410
­
"I am looking for something that sounds amazing for a cheap cost."

"^^Looking for something with good tight bass. Quality sound! Best bang for the buck! Thanks!"

"How is the Onkyo TX-SR506 receiver? and what speakers would be best suited for this?"

Makaveli, your questions are too general for a coherent, short answer. You haven't defined "cheap cost" or "quality sound" or "good tight bass."

The Onkyo 506 is a good entry level receiver which should do well with any modest speaker system. Personally, I would wait, save up some money and jump to the Onk 606, which is a better deal with its HDMI 1.3 inputs.

Quality sound is in the ear of the beholder, so go out and listen to some speakers and buy the ones you like and can afford.
­

Post Number: 5
^^I have the Onkyo TX-SR606. How do I hook up my xbox360 via component cables? I also would like to use the optical sound..?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 655
Are you having some problem? The connections should be very straight forward.

Post Number: 6
So far I have the optical sound connected to the receiver from the xbox. The xbox video cables to the tv. But I can't seem to figure out how to also plug the video cables into the receiver. I plugged it in one of the hd rca inputs, but I couldn't get any video on the screen?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 656
Ah ha! I see, OK then connect the XBox according to page 29 of your manual which says to use component 2 in and optical 1.

It also says: "If you use connection A, you must connect the AV receiver to your TV with the same type of connection."

This means that you must run component video out of your receiver to your TV which may explain your concern.

Hope this helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us