Does a receiver lose power if you run 7 channels instead of 5

Username: Scott_o

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a Denon 3802 receiver, it has up 6.1 surround (basically 7 speakers with the rear two in mono). It's rated 110 watts x 7
My speakers are all paradigm:
Monitor 5 (front)
CC-370 (Center)
ADP-170 (Side/Surround)
Then I purchased a pair of Paradigm Cinema speakers (small) for right behind my couch) (the mono "6th" Channel)
and a have a PW-2200 sub for the low end.

I have a few questions about my set-up:

First, from a power point of view, does the 2 rear speakers cause the other speakers to lose power? Would each speaker in a 5.1 channel system have more power per channel then with using the additional 2 speakers (the cinemas)

Second, Do you think the cinemas add vlaue to the sound? or should i just leave it 5.1?

Lastly, do you think the ADP-170's are good for this system? It seems like the ADp-370's match my other speakers better, but the guy in my stereo store said the 170's were good. Just curious? I purchased the cinemas after the fact so he didn't weigh in on those. I basically have the 170's mounted basically perpendicular to the couch on the side walls and cinemas directly behind.

I know my system is a few years old but I'd love some opinions before I start disonnecting things or upgrading surrounds.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 573
Greetings Scott,

Your receiver is a 7.1 system with 7 110 watt amplifiers so adding the additional speakers will not cause the other speakers to lose power unless they are severely mismatched impedance-wise.

Your second question can best be answered by listening yourself. What do you think it sounds like with or without the additional speakers? One would think that more is better but no one can truly say what you prefer. That pretty much answers your last question as well, I would suspect that you would have a difficult time distinguishing the difference between the 170's and the 370's for the rears but it sure would be fun to try!!!

Quite frankly though it sounds to me like equipment wise you are all set. Perhaps what is needed is speaker placement "tweaking" that could make major sound quality differences simply by moving or rotating the speakers themselves.

A beginners guide for such things:

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

Username: Scott_o

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jim,

I appreciate that guide.
I will work on tweaking the speakers next. (I should've already tried that)

Thanks again.

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 36
hey scott I would replace a few wires if I were you,,
go with audioquest a buck a foot 14/2 or type 4 for your paradigm spks and vsd 1 coaxial for cable and dvd if not using hdmi for a lossless audio etc,,
I prefer 5.1 so placement really matters for me ,,your dipoles should be fine about 4 or 5 feet high.,,
remember rears are ambiance,
I've rewired many systems just by upgrading these and I haven't heard anyone not loving it.
theaudioguy.ca
vince

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 560
Vince I'm not convinced that more expensive cables are anything more than snake oil. Yes heavier gage wires are more robust than thinner wires but thing get to a certain point where the improvement in sound is just not there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us