Advice needed upgrading a 2-channel system for 5.1

Username: Doug_vt

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I am finishing my basement, and am trying to figure out how to outfit the space with home theater equipment. I currently have a nice 2-channel system that I am considering moving to the basement because I think it might get more use down there once the home theater is set up. I also think that I might save some money and end up with a better system if I try to incorporate my 2-channel system into the HT setup.

Here's what I currently have:

Paradigm Studio 40 speakers
Acurus A200 amp
Acurus preamp
Rega Planet CD player

I was originally thinking that I'd buy a home theater receiver and all new speakers, and leave the 2-channel system upstairs for serious music listening. But if I move my existing equipment downstairs, then I'm wondering if perhaps I should keep with the separates philosophy that I went with for the 2-channel system. I know very little about separates with regards to home theater equipment. The only piece I've got for the HT is a Sharp Aquos 52". I'd like to set up a 5.1 system. (I'm a bit skeptical about the need for 6 or 7 channels for surround sound, but if I'm wrong, please correct me.)

So here are my questions:
1. What would you recommend that I consider adding to my existing system to make it a decent HT setup?
2. Are my Paradigm Studio 40s good as front speakers for a 5.1 setup? (The basement is about 30' x 24', but the TV viewing area is only about 15' x 15', and the back half of the room will have a pool table.)
3. Would the Acurus amp and preamp have any place in the 5.1 setup? I assume if I wanted to use the Paradigm speakers as my front speakers for the 5.12 setup, I'd need to have some kind of A/B switch so the 2-channel system used the Acurus amp and the 5.1 system used the amp for the 5.1.

I clearly don't have much of a clue about the details of connecting this all up, and whether it makes any sense to use my existing equipment in my 5.1 setup.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Doug

Username: Doug_vt

Post Number: 2
Sorry, I posted this to the wrong subforum.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigwatchhe

Post Number: 17
good forum, come on.

Bronze Member
Username: Lion_cing

Post Number: 41
This my suggestion: if you are finishing the basement then run the wires through the wall to look like wireless and use the ceiling speakers (small) and have a base in the middle of the room.
You can use the 2 channel sytem that you have. Or buy 5.1 set . If you don't have out put on your receiver for base then you may purchase the one which uses speaker wires... then from the base to the speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us