Need Help Please

Username: Anglr200

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am trying to set up my home theater but I am continuing to have issues. Mostly because the coax-in on my tv is busted and I cant get a signal to it. I was also hoping to run audio from my cable through my sound system somehow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here are my components:

TV: s-video, 2 sets of RCA connections (red, yellow, white), coax in (BROKEN!)

DVD player: digital audio out (orange), RCA out, hi def RCA? (blue, red, green) out, S-video

Sony Surround Sound System:
Digital SA/CD CD in, DVD in (orange), 4 sets of audio RCA ports (red and white)

X-box 360: RCA (red, yellow, white), and (blue, red, green)

RF Modulator: Coax RF to TV, Coax Ant in.
Output: RCA (red, yellow,white),s-video
Input: 4 sets of RCA (R,Y,W) and S-vid

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 535
Greetings Nick,

No cable box?

Post Number: 2
Correct. I dont have a cable box. The coax previously went directly into my old tv.

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
OK, then next question:

If you plug your cable coax into the RF Ant. In on the RF modulator and RCA composite video (yellow) out to your TV can you get a signal? If not then the easiest way to solve your problem would be to get a cable box, that would open up a few more options for you.

Post Number: 3
I tried that but couldn't get a signal (contrary to what best buy and circuit city told me). Ill take a look at some cable boxes also. Do you think an old vcr would work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
An old VCR should work (just like the modulator is supposed to). RF in to component video out.

Does the Sony receiver switch composite video and/or S-Video?

Post Number: 4
No, the Sony receiver is pretty basic. No s-video input or ouput.

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
Because I suspect that the S video in on your TV will cancel out one of the composite video inputs here is one possible way to hook all of this up:

Coax cable from the wall to the VCR RF in.
Composite video/audio (R/W/Y) out to modulator (should actually be called a switch from your description).

DVD S-video out to modulator (best available video signal) digital coax (orange) audio out to receiver.

X-Box composite video/audio to modulator.

The modulator then needs an S video and a composite video out to the TV. It also needs audio out to the receiver.

The input settings for all of your devices will take some getting used to but hopefully, given what we have here, this will work.

Post Number: 5
I hooked everything up as you suggested and it works perfectly. I had to go buy a couple extra cables to make all the connections, but that was no big deal. Thanks so much for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
Happy to!!!

Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us