Looking for suggestions

Username: Finndog

Post Number: 6
I have a pretty good system that I put together, but am wondering if any is overkill or any speakers/product suggestions out there?

I have, a 52" JVC DLP seems o.k. seems to have a lag on the refresh rate...but great picture.

2 Bose 701 fronts that sound solidabout 7' apart

1 Bose VCS-10 center that seems fair, no complaints

2 Bose 601 series III L/R surround sides

2 Bose single cubes w/6 1/2 sub-bass mod. Accoustimass series III for rear surround

1 Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer Speaker

All hooked up with a Onkyo 605 receiver/PS3 HDMI

Everything seems great, however I'm wondering if this system could use any adjustment or tweaking to really sound best. I know my ears truly give me the answer I seek, but I haven't kept up on latest and greatest products. I pieced this system together for around $900 so not spending a lot I wasn't expecting a lot. However with as much as I saved I feel I received a pretty good bang for the buck. Again if anyone has any suggestions, like replacing the rears, or any feedback on any of the products that may be positive or negative. I'd be open to listen. My main concern and things that I've noticed is...

52" JVC DLP has a bit of a lag on re-fresh rate

Side speakers are a bit big Bose 601's Could I get a better speaker that is a bit smaller? Or leave as is cause I do have the room.

Sub? Is this sub that bad I know it's a Sony... Any thoughts?

Bose single cubes for rear? I like the size other then that they are o.k. the bass mod. is really not needed, any suggestions?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 532
Greetings Brian,

A few options:

Other than changing the entire speaker array to some (non Bose) up scale matched set (and potentially ruining all of the FUN you are having with this) your next move, as you suspect, might be to replace the Sony sub. Along with moving the speakers to optimize their sound (tweaking) that would make the biggest difference.

Rear and back speakers ideally are matched so perhaps that could be something to work on as well, however I would be looking for another pair of 601's rather than cubes if possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 32
wow another bose lover..
since you don't want to start over I would consider
changing sub to the pdr8 or 10 from paradigm about 230
under 300

then if you don't want to change speakers at least try your best to get the best out of them,,
audioquest speaker wire 14-2 or type4
and
audioquest vsd 1 coaxial for cable box dvd and sub
if you can.

I've replaced plenty of systems out there by just upgrading cables all around to these
they sound
incredible best bang for a buck

theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us