Best Speaker Match for Denon 1804

john d
I have a Denon 1804, and a Denon DVD-900 dvd player. I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good 6.1 speaker setup that would complement the sound of this particular receiver. All I know is I would like floorstanding fronts and a 10 or 12" sub. My room is 13 feet wide by 19 feet long. I dont really have a set budget but obviously I would like to keep it in perspective with the quality of my receiver and dvd player.

Anonymous
Nice equipment. Obivously, you WON'T buying any KLH (Best Buy), nor RCA (radio shack) speakers. I would stay away from Bose, Klipsh (sp?) and Sony speakers. Otherwise, you should be o.k. If, you buy a sub woofer, get a 200 watt sub, starting at about $200.00. A good 10 inch, 200 watt sub will suffice.

Derek
Have a listen to Paradigms, Now Hear This and Energy.

Monitor Audio, Athena and Mission aren't bad either.

I highly recommend Athena and Paradigm. They should be able to give you a 6.1 system from $500 to $5000.

john d
Thanks for the tips guys.

Derek, keeping the 1804 Denon receiver in mind which do you personally prefer, between Paradigm and Energy. So far, my ears are telling me Paradigm Phantoms, however the Energy Connoisseur series (C-5 fronts) sound pretty good too. Am I in the general area or do you think these models are too much speaker for this receiver? You mentioned Athena as well, which models did you have in mind?
thks

Derek
I have and Athena Point 5 system I paid $240 for (a return). They are normally about $600. I also have a Denon 1801 and an 1803. The 1801 is running the Energy Take 5s - so I know what you are listening to.

Paradigms are better, though.

john d
Thanks Derek,

I think I agree, after much listening its decided, Paradigm Phantoms it is.

John Doe
Anonymous' review is correct.
John, have you thought about Dynaudio's Audience or Evidence series

YOUR DADDY
dyna audio is crap, stick to Paradise Paradigm, or if you want to save MONEY then get ATHENAS, I mean why spend all that money for speakers when you have a MEDIOCRE receiver?? When you get a 5804 then get PARADIGMS, until then you are wasting money, get ATHENA

john d.
John Doe,

Ive never heard of Dynaudio, I live in Canada and have never seen them up here. Is it a brand youve seen in the US?

Your Daddy,

The Athenas are excellent sounding for the money but after much listening, even with my "mediocre" receiver as you put it, I found the Paradigms much more neutral sounding than the Athenas. In an ideal world everyone would be able to afford 5804's but in the real world, we all have bills to pay and mouths to feed.
Besides, Ive already purchased and set up my new Paradigm Phantoms and Im extremely satisfied with them, even if I did "waste money" as you say.

Hawk
john d.:

I wouldn't worry about those comments about your receiver--if it sounds good to you, then it is the right product for you and it is no one else's business.

You have asked a very realistic question and one that you should be able to get a good answer. In response to your last question, Dynaudio is a rather famous maker of raw speakers, based in Denmark, and were so successful, they branched out into making full speakers. They are very good speakers that I prefer over Paradigms, but they can be on the pricey side. I know their lowest priced speaker is the Dynaudio Audience 42, which cost $699/pair here in the USA. I am aware that they are distributed in Canada.

I also like several other speakers with the Denon receiver (I have the larger 3803). I have had my best luck with Mission speakers, a British brand that makes some excellent speakers, even in the lowest price range. I have a pair of Mission M71s, which cost only $250/pr.(US), and which I use for stereo sound in my study. Now, they have changed some of their product line, so I can't suggest a specific model for you, but check them out if you can.

Also, look at PSB speakers (a Csnadian brand similar to Paradigm) and NHT (aka Now Hear This). The NHT SB-3 speaker is really nice.

Good luck!

john d
Hawk,

Thanks for the tips and good advice!
I have to say, you are certainly a worthy asset to this BBS and Im sure I speak for everyone here when I say that your patient, and informative answers are truly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

-John

Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 2
Can anyone recomend a good receiver match for my Klipsch speakers? I have two Forte IIs up front, two KG-1s for my rear, and a KV-3 center channel. I was looking at Yamaha but was told that since Yamaha is already bright, it would be a bad combo with my Klipsch. Another recommendation was Marantz or Denon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brent

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 25
Brent,
You were told correctly about a Yamaha/Klipsch match. That would be a terrible combination. Look at units from Marantz,Elite, H/K and NAD as best match's with Klipsch. I have heard Klipsch/Denon together several times at one of my local stores and have always thought that combo was way to bright also. As of today my first choice would be to find the H/K 7200 from a mail order site as it has been mentioned here that it can be had for $899. I can't remember where, sorry. J&R has it for $999 but I know someone posted here that they bought one for $899. For that money it's a real steal. Very large, powerful receiver that will drive the heck out of your Klipsch and be a great match sonically. Try a search engine for H/K dealers and see what you come up with. I think I'll do the same just for reference purposes. The other choices will work well but for the money I'd go with the 7200 assuming it's got the number of inputs you need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us