What receiver to buy Onkyo vs Harmon Kardon

Username: Rgall

Pittsburgh, Pa

Post Number: 1
I was looking into AV receivers to replace an older Onkyo 939. I was looking into Onkyo SR805, SR706, or Harmon Kardon AVR 354. Any thoughts? Any better choices in this price range? Which of these would your choose?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 394
Any chance to go listen to any of these units you are interested in?

If not, my guess would be that you would be happier with the Onkyo as you will be more comfortable with the controls and how they function (the HK will be substantially different).

If you can go out and "test drive" AVR's I would also look into the comparable Denon (1909) and/or Yamaha. While shopping ask to see the remotes and make sure whatever you choose is easy to understand and operate. There is also the minor issue of how it sounds to you.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 527
I think a fair comparision between the Onkyo's and Denon would be the SR706 VS the Denon AVR2309. That older Onkyo 939 was some machine in its day (2003) that list for $4000. If money is an issue the Onkyo 606 is a very popular model these days.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 371
I would do some research on the Onkyo 805 before purchasing. As far as I know the 805 exhibits some problems that are not found with the Onkyo 706. How big is the room you will be using the AVR in. I ask because the 805 could be overkill for your application. I have an Onkyo 705 and I am very happy with it. It pretty much does everything and is THX certified and is also very affordable. If you can afford it I would choose the 706 over the 606 or the 805.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us