No Sound Through Optical 2 on Onkyo 800s w/PS3

Username: Sarienanj

Post Number: 2
Hi All, I have a Toshiba A35 plugged into the Optical 1. Since the receiver is older and the sound is better via Optical cables, it is set on input CD.

I am trying to plug in my PS3, to Optical 2, for the same sound benefit, as I don't plan to update my receiver in the bedroom a the moment.

I got a second Optical cable, and ran it from the Optical on the PS3, to the Optical 2 output, and get no sound.

When I plug the same cable into Optical 1, I do get sound.

I am guessing there is some issue assigning inputs?

I tried following the instructions on the quick start sheet, where it says to press "Digital Input, or Output" on the front of the receiver until sound is heard. However, I did that, and no matter how many times I press it, I hear no sound from the PS3.

Do I need to change something in the PS3 settings, or what is happening here?

Makes me want to buy a new receiver,LOL. In the Livingroom, I have a 605 Onkyo, Onkyo 805 HD DVD, Panasonic BD30K, and Toshiba XDE. Since the receiver passes audio via HDMI, everything works fine and is easier.

Your help is appreciated!:-)

Sariena

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2348
­
Sariena, the factory default on your receiver for the OPT2 input is CD. But because you are using CD for the OPT1 input, you do have to assign OPT2 to another input designation...such as "DVD" for example. Just select DVD on the front of the receiver and press the INPUT SELECTOR button until the display reads DVD : OPT2. You would then select DVD when you want to hear the PS3's optical audio output.

Username: Sarienanj

Post Number: 3
Hi John, thanks! I knew it was something with the inputs-it works now, thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us