The $10 CircuitCity/BestBuy Challenge

KidA
I would like to have the option of testing and returning equipment and I live in an area with no local Audiophile shops. So my challenge is to come up with the best Receiver plus 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker system that can be purchased at Best Buy or Circuit City. Price of system should be less than $2000 with bonus points for lower priced systems.

Prize will be $10 deposited into your Paypal account. Winner will be the person coming closest to my actual purchase.

I would like a 7.1 receiver and floor standing front towers. I am leaning towards an HK AVR-525 open box for $599. Here is a list of some equipment carried by these stores:

Receivers:
Harmon Kardon
Onkyo
Pioneer
Sony
Yamaha
Kenwood

Speakers:
Polk
Infinity
Velodyne
Wharfedale
JBL
Klipsch
KLH
Celestion
Cerwin Vega

Thanks and good luck.

KidA
Apparently this isnt worth trying. I guess I will be doing some driving to get my new system.

qdog
Integra DTR 6.3,$650.....Integra DPC 5.3 $410(dvd/cd 5 disc changer)...RBH speakers mm-4 $350 for 4,center channnel c4 $135, and a ms8.1 sub $300...Total $1850 for package, however NOT vavilable at big box retailers, only audio shops...good luck

Forget about CC and Best Buy. Overpriced. Most of it is mediocre. Testing and returning stuff is a MAJOR pain in the butt with these places, too. Best bet: Go with lots of great reviews and order off the web and wait for the UPS guy to arrive. If you REALLY don't like something, you can always return it.

Here's the system:

Refurbed Marantz SR-7300, $680.00
(Absolutely KILLER.) www.accessories4less.com
(An authorized internet Marantz dealer)

POLK AUDIO R50 Floorstanding Speakers $400/pair
(www.jandr.com, but possibly less $$$ elsewhere)

POLK AUDIO CSI20 Center $150

POLK AUDIO RTI-28 Surrounds (pair) $160

VELODYNE ACOUSTICS CHT-12BV Subwoofer $500

All Shipping: $100 or less

Total: $1990

I know you're interested in testing and auditioning different things, but trust me, for your budget, this will sound AMAZING.

MrHorspwer
Harmon Kardon AVR-525 $599 (open-box special)
or
Harmon Kardon AVR-325 $539 (Circuit City)
Klipsch SF-2 front $325 (Best Buy)
Klipsch SC-1 center $280 (Best Buy)
Klipsch KSW-12 sub $500 (Best Buy)
Klipsch SS-5 surround $280 (Best Buy)

Total $1984 or less

This doesn't include tax or interconnects, which you made no mention of. If you need extra cash, you could drop the fronts down to Klipsch SF-1 and save $75 or drop the sub down to Klipsch KSW-10, which would save $100.

If you plan on using this system mainly for movies, I wouldn't go to a lesser center channel. If you're playing alot of music, try to keep the better fronts.

The surrounds are your choice... the SS-5's are odd shaped, almost 12" long. If you don't have the space for them, the Klipsch SB-1 is a bookshelf and can be had for around the same price, maybe a bit cheaper too.

When can I expect my $10? :-)

With absolutely no disrespect to MrHrsepwer, who unquestionably followed the rules better than I did, a truth remains: The stuff I spec'd (above) will still sound better. :)

Also: I think the price listed above for the SF-2 front speaker is for ONE, not two.

KidA
Did some more reading and it looks like I wont be purchasing locally. I will be spending some time in Pittsburgh and will be looking at systems at some actual hifi stores. See my new thread and thanks for the help.

KidA
What abou this:

After doing some research how about this:

Circuit City
H/K 525 Open Box - $599
Veldoyne CHT10 - $399
Best Buy
Athena ASF2 fronts - $599
Athena ASC1 center - $179
Athena ASB1 rears - $179

Total - about $1960

Anonymous
Please offer your opinion or suggestion
on the following setup. Wharfedale 8.1 or
Polk RTI38s. The reason I am considering the Polks because they are heavily discounted right now. I am using an HK 525 to drive them.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
Best Buy

Klipsch Speakers
SF-1 $500/pair
SS-5 $280/pair
SC.5 $180
KSW-10 $400

Subtotal $1360

Circuit City

Onkyo Receiver
TX-SR601 $500

$1860
+spkr cable $60
TOTAL $1920 (w/o tax)

Anonymous
You may want to get all the speakers from the same company. So that they are better voice matched, with a even matched sound all around. Also always buy seperate speaker wire and connections.

A really good sounding system for the price (even though the specs. on it are not the greatest) and not to mention doesn't have floorstanding speakers is the Onkyo HTS760. It usually goes for around $500. But for the price, nothing else sounds like it. Effenciency isnt the best, but listen to it yourself.

Also look into a little known company called Fluance. They have direct sales, great deals on some really good sounding speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us