How to Set Speaker Levels

jef
Unregistered guest
hey yall,
i havent really got much help from other forums in here so ill give this one a try......

reciver-yamaha htr-5750 +
speakers front-athena towers +
speakers surround-dennon (small) +
also dennon sub +
= not bad (but)
i cant seam to get my speaker settings correct.my front's drown out my center i have adjusted the settings to make the center as close to a match to the front's same with the rear's but it seems like im getting no where i have poked tweaked twisted and every thing else in the book till i went MAD !!! i seem to have an echo in the room i have asked my wife to hang some of the 200 pictuers we have on the walls and she is yet to do so,also my bass sounds like its dying it's almost like a low muffle drowning sound again i have adjusted till im blue in the face i want the crisp clear punch when bullets fly not a horable rumbleing sound so is it my speakers or am i just paying to much attention to detail how do i get to that crisp clear sound also i have my settings all the way up for my surrond and still can barley hear them help

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 668
what center speaker are you using?
Try using a sound meter from Radio Shack to properly calibrate your speakers.

You need to experiment with your subwoofer placement. Check the settings and cutoff frequency if it is equipped with one.

The thing with surround speakers is that they are built for ambient sounds and sometimes the mix is not that aggressive in the movies. Try playing with DVD-Audio, they are mixed differently than movies.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 680
and also, if your center is woefully mismatched with your mains, no amount of calibrating will help. Your center will be drowned out. The Athenas are fairly dynamic and bright to some listeners, so if your center speaker is pretty mild mannered, it will be drowned out. Check those first before spending money on the sound meter, because you will probably just use them once. Better yet, save the money to get a matching Athena ASC-1 for only $120 more, probably less if they go on sale.
cheers

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you're expecting champagne sound on a beer budget. You don't say what center, but, the rears and sub probably need work. Take the sub into a store and ask to compare it to some they sell. Probably best to just assume the rear surrounds can get better for not a lot of money. Set your likely budget so you don't listen to $1,500 subs and can only afford $300. You don't want to buy new only to be disappointed because you didn't get the sound you heard in the store that cost a lot more. Try this site for set up help, http://www.axiomaudio.com/sub_setup.html.
And hang the pictures for your wive so she'll be happier with you when you want to spend money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us