Home Theatre Help

Username: Svengoli123

Post Number: 1
This is my current setup:

I currently have a DVD player and cable box connected to a HDMI switch that connects to my TV (All through HDMI cables). I have a small speaker system that connects to my cable box through the audio/video cables. The speakers on my tv are shut off and all audio comes from the speaker system. (The speaker system is pretty cheap and it did not come w/ a remote) While watching cable, the cable remote allows me to adjust the volume since the speaker system is plugged into the back of the cable box. With the new addition of my DVD player, I don't know how I can watch DVD's with the audio coming out of speaker system apposed to the crappy TV speakers. If i plug the speaker system directly to the DVD player, I can't control the volume. Is there any hope?

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 356
You have no choice but to connect the DVD directly to the audio system preferable a digital audio connection. What kind of audio system is it (make and model) Can you get a universal remote and program it to control the audio system? Can your cable remote be programmed for an auxilliary device such as the audio system? If not you would have to manually control the sound when using the DVD player...

Username: Svengoli123

Post Number: 2
Jeff,

I have a 2.1 ch. JWIN. It is a cheap unit, but better than the speakers on my Vizio. Yesterday, I tried a new idea. Since everything is connected to my HDMI switch then the switch to the TV, I plugged the speakers directly into the TV. For some reason, no sound. I can only get sound when the speakers are connected to the cable box. Would you happen to know why? There must be a way to connect the speakers directly into the TV. Is it possible since I have a HDMI coming in from the switch, I can't input another source of audio?

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 357
Can you answer the questions in my last post? Even if it worked I do not think you are going to be happy with connecting the speakers to the TV. It most likely does not have a subwoofer output. The best thing to do would be to route all sound to the 2.1 ch JWIN and have the speakers connected to it. If I were you I would be trying to find a way to control the audio system with a remote. The audio system must be at least capable of being controlled by a remote even if it did not come with one. I would try to find a universal remote that you can program to control the audio system. Doing this any other way would be a shotty and undesirable setup! If I were you and ended up not being able to control the audio system volume remotely I would still route all sound to the audio system and just control it manually. Controlling it manually would be a much better trade off than trying to go through the back door the way you are suggesting..... I would invest the trouble that you are going to try and do this the wrong way into just controlling the audio system volume manually and again this is only if you cannot find a remote that can be programmed to control the audio system volume. Trust me what you are suggesting is not sound in a logical sense. To do this correctly all sound should be routed to the audio system and the audio system should process the sound and output the sound to the speakers.

Controlling the volume manually if you cannot find a remote is just going to be something you have to do if you want to stick with the audio system you have. Unfortunately this is just a drawback of sticking with the cheap audio system. If you absolutely have to control the volume remotely and cannot find a remote for it then I would suggest a new audio system -You cannot do any worse than what you have so you shoud be able to find a replacement fairly cheaply...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us