Upscaling dvd player and audio question

Username: Tpattgeek

Post Number: 4
I just got the Samsung 46" LCD 650 series with 120Hz and blah blah blah. Anyway, when I connect my HD receiver through HDMI, the audio cuts out every few seconds. Come to find out, it's an HDMI compatibility issue between my box and TV. Nothing really "broken", just bad luck I guess. So, I also have the Logitech z-680 speakers with coax and optical in. My goal is to have the dvd player, tv, and wii hooked up to these speakers and not lose picture quality.

My first issue is the dvd player. I went and bought the upscaling dvd player, but the when set on 1080p, no matter what dvd I put in, it looks grainy and pixelated. That's using HDMI. The only reason I bought this player was to have digital audio output. That's where my second issue comes in...

My wii is hooked up component to my TV, my TV is hooked up optical to my speaker receiver so I acheive DD using Pro Logic II for the Wii. I have my cable box hooked up coax to my speaker receiver "better than the analog to optical I would get going through the TV". My DVD player is HDMI to the TV, but has to go through optical to the speakers. Usually my speakers say Digital when the dvd player is hooked directly to my speakers. Since it's not now, it just says DD PL2 Music, but sounds great. I guess my questions is, Do I lose sounds quality by going HDMI to TV, then optical to speakers?

I'd like to return my upscaling dvd player "since it sucks and provides a horrible image except on 480p" (I think that means my TV has better scaling than the player, a progressive dvd player looked great) and get a normal progressive scanning one again. But then I'll have to use coax out to my receiver (unless new dvd player has optical, but will take the wii off of surround). That leaves my cable box going through HDMI and the sound cutting out....

My cable box can use component audio and video, and use optical from the TV, but digital straight from the box just sounds better... I don't want to move cables every time I want to watch a dvd so.... any suggestions?????

BTW, my pc uses the 6ch direct connection on my speakers. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 348
Troy,

Can you bullet point a list of your questions you want answered stating breifly what the specific problem is in each?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 519
Upscaling DVD are hit and miss these days everyone makes one.Having HDMI out on the DVD can help clean up the wire mess. Its possible all you need to do for your audio problems is to activate the digital out puts on your DVD and cable box. You can use digital cables and HDMI, you dont have to go component video.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us