Subwoofer signal Needs Coax. I ran copper. Now what

Username: Craig2000

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. I just finished rehabbing my place and I ran all of my speaker wire through a central location which is a pain to get back into through the walls.

The mistake I made is I ran 14 gauge speaker wire where I wanted to put my subwoofer. I was told that im basically screwed if im looking for true 5.1, because true 5.1 separates the subwoofer to a coax signal.

I know i can use the subwoofer like a regular speaker off the copper, but I would prefer to have true 5.1.

Is there any way to convert the signal from coax, to copper then back to coax?

Im pretty close to drilling holes. If there is a way to convert as I describe above Ill take it.

thanks a ton.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 369
The good news: yes, it is possible to make the conversion.

The bad news: Noise!

Coax is basically highly shielded 2 conductor wire. The shielding is important in the transfer of line level (low level) signals such as LFE or Sub Out signals (as well as signals passed between various components such as DVD players, CD players, etc.).

I would highly recommend you start drilling!!!

Username: Craig2000

Post Number: 2
thanks a lot man... i just wanted to confirm it.

now is it really that hard to run coax to achieve this?

i have a ton of cable rg-6 left.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 370
So what is the room layout?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 511
Craig would it be possible to connect the speaker wire to the new coaxil and use the speaker wire to pull the new coaxil through the wall. I know if there are bend and turns it may not be possible. Is it possible to go under the floor through a basement or over the ceiling in an attic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us