Designing my new home Theater-Where to put stuff

Username: Wesmon

Post Number: 1
I'm building a new home theater in my basement. The room will be about 23x15.

Here are the components that I expect to have:
-HMPC (DVR + Music)
-XBox 360
-Wii
-DLP Projector
-6 or 7' wide screen

The DLP will be mounted from the ceiling.

Where would you put all of the other components?

In my mind the ideal location is in the back of the room. That way no one sees the components. If they are in the back, in a closet, does that make sense?

thanks
Wes

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 342
The only problem with having the components in the back of the room is the functionality of the remote control(s). This can be easily solved by RF (either as purchased or converted from IR). Ideally your closet will have a door on either side (front and back) one in the theater for access to the front panel controls and the back door, outside of the theater for wiring.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 324
There is another problem with doing it this way. You will not be able to see the display on your devices so you won't know what you have selected. If you change something on the reciever for example you will not be able to see what you have selected. There will be a number of situations where you will want to know what is displayed on your devices in order to use them properly. I really do not understand the whole out of sight aproach to this. To me there is nothing unbecoming about being able to see your gear. It really enhances the apearance of your setup not the other way around. The other obvious problem with this will be with the running of cables. You are going to need a rather long cable at least going to the TV and assuming this will be HDMI you are probably going to have to spend a lot more on the cable to do this depending on how far away you will be. You will also have to find a way to hide the cable. This is really more trouble than its worth and overall is not a good way of doing it.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
What is desired in many cases is a true "theater" and as such the components are hidden. Besides in a big enough room the display cannot be read anyway and can detract form the presentation.

The other issue is that with the "TV" or projector being at the back of the room the wire runs are actually quite a bit shorter except for the front speaker array.

Post Number: 3
Sure - I can solve most of the issues with an RF remote. Xbox 360 has RF controllers. I think most likely we'll hide the components in the back.

How would you solve for dveices that are hardwired - let's say old game console? Install some component jacks under the screen and wheel the old hardware out?

With hidden/recessed speakers in a "theater" looking room, where would you hide the woofer?

thanks
Wes

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
The woofer question is answered on your new thread:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 326
Still don't agree. I guess it makes me an electronics geek :-) but I like the way my gear looks. To me doing this is like going out and buying something nice for your room and then hiding it in a closet somewhere but whatever makes you happy! :-) Enjoy!

Post Number: 4
Hmmph- now I'm leaning to putting everything up front. Some nice glass doors covering the components. With Wii and Xbox 360 coming out with some new components it'll be too hard to have them in the back.

Next question: screen size. I've seen that 1.5 X the distance to the viewer is a good estimate.

Our room is 17 x 12. The screen will be on one of the "short walls". Two rows of seating.

The front edge of the first row will be 6' from the screen. The front edge of the 2nd row will be 11' from the screen.

We'll be watching movies from both rows. Playing video games from the first row.

How big of a screen???? (Drop screen & ceiling mounted projector)

THANKS!

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
The best way to tell screen size is to not buy a screen right away and watch on the wall for a while. What you don't want is a screen so big that you have to swing your head back and forth like you are at a tennis match. You should also worry more about the front roe than the back.

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
Oops, I meant row not roe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us