Help educate me please!

Username: Koalagurl

Post Number: 1
Hi all! A newbie to this forum, I was hoping to get some direction.

We currently have a very basic home theater system about 6 years old (tuner, DirecTv, DVD, 6 speaker plus sub, and toys...Wii, XBox 360). Our current home was prewired for the speakers, and all of our components are located by the TV.

We are moving...new place is prewired for speakers throughout the house (looks like it was a Niles system?) and I saw what I assume is some sort of infrared remote wire? There is a closet towards the back of the media room that has many cables (speaker wire?) running into it.

I am very familiar with our current set up (all straightforward) but the infrared I am not so familiar with.

So, my questions are...

1. Is the infrared control mainly for audio? (I assume the previous owners weren't running 50' HDMI cables or anything through the walls, if that even exists.)

2. Is there a place I can get some general reading on HT setups where components aren't necessarily right next to the TV?

I hope those questions make sense! I think our immediate plan is to keep our existing equipment, with plans in a year to upgrade to HDMI. That actually leads me to question number:

3. My DH really wants to upgrade our tuner, but as of now none of our other components is new (as I said, all about 6 years old.) I am thinking as I type that we should probably wait and buy all new components at the same time (same technology?)

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 326
By "infrared wire" I believe you must be referring to CAT 5 which will look like 4 twisted, multi-colored telephone wire. Is this correct?
It would also be helpful to know exactly how many wires of what type you have in the new house's closet also to confirm the brand name of the system. Niles would definitely make a system like this but to have that confirmed prior to digging into what is needed to get this system up and running would be very helpful.

Some information you may find useful can be located on my websites FAQ page.

www.customconnectionsonline.com

Username: Koalagurl

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info! Off to do more reading (and I can't answer the question about the infrared wire until I can get back into the house again...we are only in escrow.) :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us