How do i hook up speakers to go through my Stereo and play on my TV for surround sound?

DespirateCollegeStudent
I have a Sanyo 3 disc CD changer with a video function and in the back of the component there are AV hook-up (red and white input).I want to hook the speakers in my dorm room to the TV and the stereo. the thing is is that my TV is old and it doesnt have AV hookups only a cable input. but im not sure how to hook this up if you can give me some help it would be greatly appreciated.

cchowa
The only way I would know to do it is adding a stereo VCR. You would put the cable from the wall into the VCR and then run cable from the VCR to the television. Then run RCA cables from the stereo outputs of the VCR into the Sanyo component. This should give you the cable audio signal through your speakers attached to the Sanyo unit.

Anonymous
I have the same problem as the "DespirateCollegeStudent". That is I want to hook my old decrepid tv to my stereo w/out any audio outs on my tv(just the coax out). Oh, by the way, I have a mono vcr! What to do? I've tried to hook up rca's from stereo out to vcr except there is one audio out. well i just want to know if there is any adapters out there that would be able to take the place of the stereo vcr.

Anonymous
i need to know if i can hook my guitar amp up to my computer..if so...how can i do it, what do i need....WRITE BACK

Anonymous
i need to learn how to hook up speakers to my computer!!! HELP

i need to know how to hook up speakers to my computer!!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Matt D
There is a cord that you can buy at stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, ect. ($6-10$)It allows you to run the computer speaker sounds through your stereo. On the back or side depending on the computer, you have a port for regular speakers, on a lap top, there is one for headphones. This special cord has an end that will go into the speaker port on the computer and it has two (2) RCA Plugs on the other end. (Red and White) Those go into the back of your stereo receiver. Then turn the stereo on and have at it. Hope this helps!

Anonymous
We have a General Electric Television and we would like to hook up two more speakers to the T.V
tried coming out of jacks on back of T.V to speakers, won't work. please help

I just bough some new speakers for my tv. But I only have inputs on my tv no outputs. Please help me, I i want to add my speakers to my tv..... SOS

Unregistered guest
I have regular speakers that hook up to a stereo.and i want to hook them up to my tv. how do I hook up speaker wire to my tv

Unregistered guest
I just recently bought a sony surround sound model #dav-c450 the problem I have is that I can get the sound through the speakers comming from the system itself but I cannot get the sound to come from my tv and my vcr, I also have a satalite system does anyone out there know how I can get the sound to come from my tv and when I play my vcr the sound will not come through the speakers how do I fix it I need help!!!!1

Anonymous

I bought Cyber acoustic computer speakers CA 2.2. I plugged them into the back of my Gateway computer. They don't work..Help..

Unregistered guest
how can i hook my computer to my vcr or t.v.

Rob Molnar
Unregistered guest
"There is a cord that you can buy at stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, ect. ($6-10$)It allows you to run the computer speaker sounds through your stereo. On the back or side depending on the computer, you have a port for regular speakers, on a lap top, there is one for headphones. This special cord has an end that will go into the speaker port on the computer and it has two (2) RCA Plugs on the other end. (Red and White) Those go into the back of your stereo receiver. Then turn the stereo on and have at it. Hope this helps!"

What would this kind of cord be called? I have the exact same problem in that I want to play my computer sound through my cd player speakers, but my computer only has a headphone jack so it won't accomodate my cd player cables. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I have a Gateway PC and want to hook it up to my Philips Surround Sound Reciever. I tried this before but was getting what sounded to be like feedback...most of which came out of my sub and the volume that came out of my speakers was low. What am I doing wrong? And which hole should I use on the back of my computer, the green or black?

Philip r
Unregistered guest
I have a receiver with inputs in the back and two big speakers how do i hook them up 2gether

Brian5514
Unregistered guest
I have very nice computer speakers, but crappy speakers for my stereo. How can I set up my receiver to use the speakers on my computer, and still be able to use them for the computer?

Marcy
Unregistered guest
I love listening to music off of my computer. I have a set of computer speakers and I also want to hook up wireless speakers (in order to have multiple speakers for my house). Can I hook more than one set of speakers up to my computer? Do they make an adapter that can handle two sets of speakers?

Capn3885
Unregistered guest
Is there any way for me to hook my computer speakers up to my stereo? I have regular speakers wired into the stereo. I also have an RCA adaptor for my computer speakers. The problem is that on my stereo, there arent any outputs, only inputs. Basically what I want to do is to be able to control the volume of both of them at once to make things a little easier.
thanks

Cec
Unregistered guest
I have just bought a RCA Demencia amp, tuner, tape deck and graphic equaliser. My problem is I can't figure out how to wire it so I can use the volume control from my tv. I have it hooked up so the sound goes through the amp but I have to control the volume from the amp and there is no remote for the amp. Does anyone have experience with the RCA Dimensia amp model #MSA200
Thank you in advance from Canada

Unregistered guest
I want to hook up my computer to my stereo speakers. BUT my stereo is a dumb one with no aux setting and no sound in, i guess, only a place to plug headphones into it. So basically I only have a computer with a cable that can have a single end or I have an extension that gives it a double end. And these speakers that only have the bare wires coming out of them.

Is there any way that I can hook them together with an adapter or do I need an amp in the middle?

Unregistered guest
I am playing around and I found an old, small speaker unit from a child toy. I would like to see if it works elsewhere.

It has 8 horseshoes, and is 0.25W (watts? could it be 25?), positive & negative wires are marked. Serial # 220RB326, Manuf. by SAMMI for a VTech toy.

Does it also need a separate power source or can it be wired to a small radio (i.e. dollar-store radio)? Is there a way to wire this to a standard earphone jack?

Please, no messages telling me it's not worth it.
---<jfurchak@student.lssu.edu>---

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 19
I want some speakers that will blow me away.

Literally...

Just blow me A W A Y

So far out of this thread - You people just don't know.

Unregistered guest
I would like to know how I can hook up a receiver
to my computer to then be able to connect an external DVD, MP3 or any other additional Aux and have them sound through the computer.

lynn
Unregistered guest
i have a RCA 38 inch tv. the tv is encased into this wooden shelf. anyhoo, my problem is i think that my speakers have gone out. can i go out and buy a home theater system or can i get some speakers from like a stereo to restore sound?

Anonymous

If you've ever heard of the show "Pimp_ my Ride" then you know what i am talking about, becuase I want to "Pimp_ my Backpack" I have several old headphone and I have removed the speakers from them how can I hook up an audio jack (cd player kind)to the speakers. Please help me "Pimp_ my Backpack"

Kruz
Unregistered guest
solution guys........modulator......10 bucks at walmart convert and connect all these

Kruz
Unregistered guest
and also to the "Pimp_ my backpack......(ashamed dissin mtv)" use regular speaker wire....and parralell them together....first find the ohms of your speakers.......then.....most home theaters are 8 ohm outputs wit 4 ohm outputs for subs....now if u have say 2 16 ohm headphone speakers parrelell=divide ohms....series=multiply ohms.......your welcome from the <---audio technitian

Unregistered guest
I have a fiarly new tv, and it has surround sound capabilities, and I found some stereo speakers I want to hook up to my tv, but my tv has RCA inputs(at least that's what i think they are), and the speakers need, well, speaker wire. how could I hook them together? Please E-Mail me the answer.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 83
The rca's on the back may be inputs, so they are not meant to be connected to a surround receiver, speakers, etc. There are other ways to connect to a stereo, surround receiver, etc. if you don't have audio outputs.

Audio Phreak
Unregistered guest
ok im going to help, because i think everyone should have some basic knowlage of how a stereo TV VCR DVD player hooks into a reciver and the to your speakers.

First and foremost, you cant hookup speakers to a tv without an intermedium, hence a reciver. A reciver is that rectangle box that has all the buttons and knobs on it. The big knob controls the volume or loudness of it. (I apoligize to those of you that know what components and DAC's are but there are some out there that will benifit from this.)
In order to connect a TV to a Reciver you need wires. The most common type of wire as of about the year 2000 is the RCA cables.
You really cant mess up putting in RCA cables because they are COLOR CODED to suit anyones needs, and no they dont come in that cute pink color that matches your new purse ladys. Typically they are Red and White for a stereo setup.
Simply locate the 2 rca OUTPUTS on the back of your TV labled "out" or "to reciver" place the red with the red and the white with the white. place the other end of the rca cord into the reciver labled TV in or Video "In". To hook up your speakers do the same thing put the black part of the wire into the black plug in the back of the reciver and the black end into the black part of the speaker. Do the same with the red part of the wire. NOTE: Do all of this with the power turned off of your equipment.
Hopefully that helps.

Audio Phreak
Unregistered guest
As far as speakers "Blowing you away" all you need is a speaker setup with a reciver that have close to the same Wattage.
For a room thats around 100-130 square feet 10feetX10feet - 10feet-13feet. All you need is about 50Watts of total power. its all realitive. Or you can be like me and want to shake things off the wall in your room and hook up a 600Watt reciver to 5 100Watt speakers and a 150 Watt subwoofer. However you definatly dont need this much power... The system is in the basment of my house and you can hear it quite clearly outside the house(which is one floor up).
Heres an idea for those of you that want to make a system that dominates.
Start with your speakers, they are the mainstay of your system, if you spend 100$ on your speakers for a 5.1 surround system you only want to spend around 50-75$ for your reciver.
If you spend 1000$ on your speakers spend 5-600$ on your reciver.
Get a DVD player with the optical out or coaxial out digital DTS or Dobly Digital outputs and get a reciver that has DTS and Dobly Digital decodeing. Get any TV you want because its all a matter of opinion when it comes to TVs, I run a 27" monitor with S-Video and Component In features. A 5 disk CD player comes in handy and cheap at around 50-80$ for a good one. Then get a VCR, come on people if you dont have one yet get one its only 80$ for a top of the line SONY model now.
Have fun planning away.

Unregistered guest
I have regular speakers that hook up to a stereo.and i want to hook them up to my tv. how do I hook up speaker wire to my tv
wnbstar@yahoo.com

Anonymous

For the people asking how to hook up an old TV with just a cable jack, there is a modulator you can buy from radio shack or places like it that converts your cable jack into rca jacks. Red, white and yello plugs.

Unregistered guest
This tech-challenged granny needs HELP! My TV is old with just coax for cable. I hooked cable from wall into VCR then into TV and this step works fine. Today I hooked up DVD player with surround sound by using red and white audio plugs and the DVD plays great with sound coming from speakers. QUESTION: can sound from VCR and TV be routed through surround sound speakers? Husband is heard-of-hearing and I need some relief! These surround sound speakers do the trick - I just need TV to work through this system. I appreciate any help in advance.

Unregistered guest
How do i hook up speakers to my tv to get more sound becuase my ear are not that good any more. What type of speakers should I get and how do i go about putting them on . Thank u

Unregistered guest
I would like to know how I can take music off a cassette tape and put in on a disk and put it in my pc thank u

Unregistered guest
I would like to know how I can take music off a cassette tape and put in on a disk and put it in my pc thank u

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2076
you need an audio capture card.
With the purchase of this capture card, you will get instructions on how to get a source audio and put it on your hard drive.

Unregistered guest
i have a surround sound system hooked up to my tv and i want to play the sounds from my computer in the same speakers i know i need that special cord but then what do i do, do i go to the speakers or trought the surround sound system

Username: Scudster

Post Number: 1
Simple Qusetion!
Can you get a TV with only RCA inputs ( no Outputs!! ) to connect to a Receiver for surround sound?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2294
DJ,
Simple answer...No!

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 43
How many audio inputs do you have in this surround sound system. If you only have the one you'll need audio switch box to add more audio inputs if your present system doesn't have the inputs.

The PC you'll need what is called in the business a Y connector - 1/8 male connector and two male RCA white and red connectors.

Username: Scudster

Post Number: 2
Receiver has all the inputs. The TV only has inputs ( RCA, S Video, Composite).. no audio outputs

trebor
Unregistered guest
i need instructions to hook a guitar amp to a computer

Unregistered guest
I have an Audiovox stereo system (all in one - cd, tape, radio), which came with speakers. However I just found an old (1997) Sony portable stereo/boombox (almost a combination). I only have 1 set (4) of speaker wire ports. When I tried hooking two pairs of speakers to what was supposed to only hold one (probably a bad idea) the stereo blew out. I really want the power and want to pay less then $10. Is there any adapter or splitter or anything?

THANKS!!

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 283
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Username: Bob_evens

Loganville, GA United States

I, like others on this forum, have an older TV with a video/audio-left/audio-right inputs and outputs. I have Sat. dish and (per instructions) run the 3 RCA's from the sat reciever output to the input of the TV. I get good sound. I want to add (2) extension speakers to the system. When I plug the RCA's in and connect them to the speakers. NOTHIN'. I know the speakers work. Do I need and additional amplifier? Will a pre-amp work? Please help because as soon as I sell a blasted ice machine, I'm going to buy a Flat Screen...then I will really need help.

Anonymous

i have a gateway puter w/speakers. the puter is a ev700. recently ive moved and dont have the floor plan to rehook up the sound through the speakers. i believe i have all the stuff to rehook them up but cant figure out how to do this. any help would be greatly appreciated. ty

Anonymous

i have a gateway puter w/speakers. the puter is a ev700. recently ive moved and dont have the floor plan to rehook up the sound through the speakers. i believe i have all the stuff to rehook them up but cant figure out how to do this. any help would be greatly appreciated. ty

VolumeIsTooLow
Unregistered guest
I am looking to build my own speakers for my hifi. My hifi's input is a normal set of speaker inputs (2 black and 2 red). What I was wondering is, do car speakers use this type of connection? And if they do, is there any way to connect more than one speaker to each pair of inputs (1 red and 1 black)? This is so I could have two or three separate speakers inside one shell, and create a superspeaker. Obviously, I would be making two of these.

Terry5
Unregistered guest
Is there a device availble to hook to your surround sound system to make the back speakers become wireless? I have a sony system.

shaunsmith
Unregistered guest
i need to hook my guitar up to my computer so i can record music i play.. i have no idea how to do so.. my amp has functions such as input. aux in and out and headphone jack.. help?

Username: Maroon

i have a RCA 14" TV which did not come with a builtin earphone jack. i want to hookup a earphone for private listening. TV has one speaker with a + and a - and the earphone has 3 leads. How can I hook up the spker to phone jack.

Thanks for the help

Anonymous

i have 4 speakers hooked from the tuner and vcr to the t v which is new. I have had no problems up to now. there is feedback coming through 2 of the speakers from the t v programs. Please help
Thanks

Unregistered guest
How do I get my PC sound to come out of my HI-FI speakers????? My AV red and white sockets are already in use with my MD attachment. Please help me!!! thankyou

Ron714
Unregistered guest
I want to know how to hook my VCR to My PC so I can download my VCR Home Movies to DVD. Is this possible? and if so what do I need to do this??

Username: Maroon

Post Number: 2
Hi Ron714
There are few ways of doing it. send your an e-mail adress and i will suggest a few ways of doing it. who knows, it may help

amber
Unregistered guest
Hi!!I want to hook up my computer to a set of speakers which are already hooked up to an amp.I know nothing about this, but from what I can tell, I need a cable with a line-out connector at one end, and the RCA connectors at the other. Is that right??

Also, which port on the amplifier do i connect the the computer to?? We have ports called tuner, cd/video/aux, tape 1, tape 2, phono etc. Will any of these do??

NEED ADVICE!! THanks

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 60
What type of output does your computer's soundcard have? If it's just a single plug you'll need the adapter to output it into stereo that the amp can use. If it has stereo output, then you just need to use a stereo audio cable. If you have a high end soundcard, you might be able to hook up with digital coaxial cable, or even fiber optic cable, provided your amp has those types of inputs too.

paul bartos
Unregistered guest
I have a stageworks amp and want to run my laptop throught it. On the back of the amp there is a spot for an rca plug that says in, is this where I go from the laptop to the amp. Do i have to a special sound card in my laptop?

Unregistered guest
Also under the rca ports it says cd/tape. Another question, there is a spot onthe back that says loop effect return and send.whats this used for.
Alittle background i bought the amp used with no instructions to use on christmas caroling hayrides and am novice. Thank you to all who answer.

Unregistered guest
I have a set of Logitech multimedia speakers that I would like use for surround sound. Right now I just have them hooked into the headphone jack of my TV but this obviously leaves me with no sound coming from the actual TV speakers, but the multimedia/computer speakers work great. Would sound come out of the TV speakers as well if I hooked the 1/8" plug into an RCA converter and plugged that into the A/V output? Thanks a lot!

Unregistered guest
i would like to know how to hook up a Bose Subwoofer up to a 0 watt cd player that has detachable speakers with the red and white things. i have the speaker wires , but it wont work

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1203
Subs are connected to receivers, not CD players.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 321
No I don't think so Paul keep dreaming!!!!!

Username: Aaronred34

What does the picture look like for ordanary computer speakers

Pure*MACHINE
Unregistered guest
You need a Stereo adapter
And a stereo patch cable
The gold plated ones might sound alittle bit better but get whatever this was in regards too the people who need help with the stereo/COmPUTER issue Hope I HELPEEDDDDDLK

needing-help!
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Can I connect sound output of my computer directly to TV AV input and use tv as speakers? I tried connecting a phonejack-to-RCA adapter cable but tv speakers do not play any sound on any of the two available av modes...
Thank you for any help in advance...
BR//needing-help!

needing-help!
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Can I connect sound output of my computer directly to TV AV input and use tv as speakers? I tried connecting a phonejack-to-RCA adapter cable but tv speakers do not play any sound on any of the two available av modes...
Thank you for any help in advance...
BR//needing-help!

Unregistered guest
I have audio recording software on my PC. I have a stereo w/ cassette and turntable that I'd like to record some legacy stuff over to the PC via .wav or MP3....what all do I need to complete this bridge? Any help is appreciated.

yo177
Unregistered guest
ok i have a pair of speakers from an older stereo there prolly cool but i really wanna hook them up to my computer, the only problem is that they have a direct hook up just for the wire how do i hook it up to my computer??

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2193
You'll need a power supply(receiver) to use those, and you'll probably barely be able to hear anything out of them. The cheapo computer speakers(i think)have a power source built in, and that's the only reason they play.

Somebody might want to add to my comment, because I never paid attention to my computer speakers before, but external speakers that arent powered wont work.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony 50 watt powered subwoofer and two JBL 2-way control monitors (unpowered speakers).
I would like to hook them up to my computer. I think it would sound great if I could figure out how to connect them. The subwoofer has In and Out connections for the 2-ways and one RCA connection for power out of an amplifier. Of course none of this makes any sense to me when trying to apply this to computer hook-up. Help me if you can.

spawr
Unregistered guest
im getin a sweet electric guitar for chrismas, i havea pioneer 1000watt reciever, it doesnt have a mic input, what i want to know is, is there a way to plug my guitar into my reciever?

Anonymous

I have a Phillips Quadrasurf TV and I have a n64 Dreamcast and Gamecube and surround sound hooked up to it how can i hook it to the tv?

Unregistered guest
how do I hook up rca wireless speakers to my rca television???

Unregistered guest
hey does anyone know if a laptop (dell) can hook up to a amplifier or some DJ speakers? if so how do I go about doing that. Will it sound good and/or should i run it through a program (software) to make it sound good (which one). Any help would be great thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 34
Start a new thread guys. there are like 30 diff questions here... lol

Username: Pjuketant

Portsmouth, Virginia USA

I have a Sony STR-DE835 stereo amp. The output for the sub woofer is an RCA type and my existing sub has bare wire connections. Is it possible to convert from the RCA to bare wire or is there some type of adapter?

marchnaha
Unregistered guest
i want to know if i can hook up a 10" HOME not Car sub to a normal home cd player if i can how?

newy
Unregistered guest
can some one give me "easy to understand" instructions on wiring a car amp. and subs (10's) to a home cd player

Unregistered guest
hi i bought a dvd surround sound system and it doesnt have any audio inputs on it so if i want to here my tv through it i have to change the wires around take the wire out of the dvi box and put the speaker jacks in is the any converter box or something i can buy so i dont have to keep switching the wires around when i want to here dvd surround or t.v.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us