Any decent floor standing speakers in my budget? or should I buy cheap and save?

Username: Joey_link

Post Number: 1
After searching and reading for two hours, I feel confident posting this. I hope you guys will agree

I just purchased an Onkyo SR606 receiver on eBay for $399 with $100 cash back (so $299 total). I'm pretty damn poor, and it was a total impulse buy, but I setup a home theater PC and I can't stand listening to music through the cheap TV speakers. The girlfriend is pissed that I didn't get a larger TV first (currently a 27" Olevia 1080i LCD), but we all know the heart of an entertainment system is the receiver, right?

Anyway, I need some speakers. I have a couple options, and I'd like some input on what you guys would do if you were me. I live in an apartment with odd dimensions, so between that and the cost, I don't need surround sound right now. I'd like to buy a set of floor standing speakers, because I like the way they look, then later on add a powered subwoofer when I have the money.

Option 1: Buy cheap and save for decent speakers

Fry's has the Polk Audio R50's on sale for $59 each. I could purchase these and be into the setup for $118, then save for better speakers. The problem with this is if I buy these, the GF will no doubt say they sound fine then I won't be able to upgrade the speakers until I get a new TV (quite a while).

Option 2: Spend a bit more and get decent speakers

I've been reading around and it looks like maybe if I can afford $200-$300 I could get a pair that others (you guys) would consider 'good' speakers. I could probably swing this, but I need to know it's really going to be worth it and that I won't be needing to upgrade until I can afford a much more expensive pair. Are there any speakers in this range that are such a good value that I'd have to spend three times the amount to actually 'upgrade'? I hope you guys understand what I'm asking

Researching option 2, BIC Acoustech HT-88's caught my eye. I think I could get a set for $299+$59 shipping. The only others that seemed decent were made by Polk.

So, what do you guys think?

Username: Joey_link

Post Number: 2
Another option I *may* be able to afford due to their sale are the AV123 x-ls Encore's, but that depends largely on shipping. How do these compare with the Polk's and the BIC's?

Bronze Member
Username: Kableguy

Post Number: 11
Find the guys in the white van they will steer you in the right direction. just kidding! How big is the room. Do you book shelf or floor standing. Buy once and you will have them forever. Option 2: Spend a bit more and get decent speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us