Bose volume control install help

Username: Smc

Atlanta, Ga Us

Post Number: 1
We bought a house with bose volume controls (one red/one black wire) already installed. How do you wire to the receiver (Yamaha V 659) then connect to each speaker for that particular room

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 312
Susan, I am no expert on this and I probably should not be giving advice on it but I thought I would offer my 2 cents for what its worth.

There is probably a system that was being used by the previous owners that was designed specifically to work with the wiring that is in your home. I have thought about it and I really don't think you are going to be able to wire the Yamaha you have to work with the wiring that you inherited the way that you want to. Again the system they were using was probably designed specifically to do this. I don't have a clue what it was but again I don't think your Yamaha is going to do it. What you have is probably just the skeleton that is left over from what they were using and it probably involved a lot more than some simple wiring. My guess is you would have to make some further investments to make this work and I do not think it will involve the receiver you have.

There you go, hope I am not totally off but this is the impression I get.

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
John, Hows it goin?

If you are looking at this thread what are your thoughts on this? Am I on the right track?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 320
Jeff,

My two cents:

You are not off track at all. The Bose volume controls are custom installs as described below:

Bose® VCA Volume Control Details
Product Rating
0 Stars
(0 ratings)

Bose VCA Volume controls allow the designer/installer to provide customized volume control solutions for customers wishing to have a fixed, wall-mounted volume control solution in some rooms. This special volume control can be used to enhance the installation of any SA amplifier solution.

Uses Voltage Control Amplifier technology

* Does not connect to speaker level signal
* Clean, linear volume control
* Not compatible with conventional "Autoformer" volume control applications

When used with SA-2/SA-3 amplifiers you can adjust volume in that room using:

* VCA volume control
* Bose® link remote control
* Both

The two conductor wire connected to this plate would be connected to the "VCA" inputs on the SA amplifier. Once connected, the user will be able to control that room's volume from this wall--mounted volume control, the Bose® link remote assigned to this room or use a blended solutions.

(From the Electronic Warehouse website) This means that if the previous owners would have left an amplifier:

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/bose/sa3.html

The system would be set up using line level out puts from anything.

Susan, is you have one of these weird looking amplifiers in your house or can speak with the previous owners then you may be able to use this system. if not there are several options including buying an amplifier or even buying different controllers knowing that the speakers (assuming there are in wall speakers still there) are wired.

Hope this helps a bit

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
Thanks Jim, Where ya been? :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 322
I am in Traverse City on "vacation" and had a few "issues" getting internet access.

Username: Smc

Atlanta, Ga Us

Post Number: 2
will the ZS5300 work with the two wire (red/black)bose volume controls? do you have to use a speaker selector or ?
I am trying to wire each volume control with the pair of spkrs for each room..any solution besides using bose systems?

http://us.marantz.com/DFU_ZS5300U_final_all.pdfor
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us