Need an amp for my passive subwoofer

Username: Huberttyip

Post Number: 1
I recently installed a in wall subwoofer, which I recently discovered is a passive subwoofer (only has connections for left/right speaker wire). My reciever has a single female RCA jack on the back. So it looks like I'll be needing an amplifier for the sub. Is there a special amp that I need to buy? I was looking on ebay for something inexpensive and the majority of the results were for car subwoofer amplifiers. Will these work for my home theater setup?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2308
You could use a subwoofer plate amplifier, which are usually sold to people building their own.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=50 5

Username: Kableguy

Post Number: 3
Parts Express was my guess.

Username: Andreotti60

I have the same problem. It was great to find out that by buying a plate amp for my passive SW I could solve this dilemma. I will definitely buy an amp from Parts Express. I presume a 100W amp is sufficient. My receiver puts out 100W (Onkyo TX-SR706).

HOWEVER, I would appreciate any help on how to connect the SW power amp (red and black connectors) to the receiver (single purple RCA connector). Is there a special cable for that? Thanks for your help.

Gianluca

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 547
If you but something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bash-300W-Digital-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B000CCS440

Then you hook your purple RCA sub out from your Onkyo to the right in (red)on the plate amp.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your response. I was actually thinking of buying this unit from Parts Express.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-Subwoofer-Amplifier-300-802/dp/B01LZNKCUP

In this case, which red input of the amp should I use? I chose this amp because it offers the easiest way to connect my subwoofer which has two pairs of red/black connectors. This amp is also 100W which matches the subwoofer's 100W RMS and is close to the max peak power my SW is rated for (130W).

Thanks again. Gianluca

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
Fair enough, with this choice you would still use the red (or white or both with a splitter it really does not matter) "low level" RCA "input".

Post Number: 3
That's great. Thanks so much for your help. Out of pure curiosity, I see that the amp I'm interested in allows one to also have the option to connect directly to another amp (presumably a receiver) with red/black cable connectors. Under what scenario, if any, would that be a preferable way to hook up a passive subwoofer like mine?

I will of course follow your advice. I'm just curious now about the various ways I could potentially use this subwoofer amp.

Thanks again for your assistance. I'm off to Parts Express to get that amp. :-)

Gianluca

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
The simple answer is that the set of connectors you will be using are for un-amplified signals and the other inputs you are asking about are for amplified signals.

The RCA connectors that you will be using are for line level, or as it is called on this particular amp "low level" signals. These signals are un-amplified such as those coming out of a CD or DVD player or, in your case the output of a newer receiver designated to low frequency AKA "subwoofer", "LFE", or the .1 of a 5.1 system.

The other connectors are for speaker level, or again as is called here "hi-level" signals that are amplified and intended to power a speaker. Older receivers do not have an un-powered sub output so therefore the left and right speaker wires are run to the subwoofer first then out to the speakers.

There is more information that you may be interested in here:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq5.html

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq6.html

Post Number: 4
I totally get it. Thanks again Jim.

Happy holidays.

Gianluca

Username: Trebort

Turnersville, New Jersey USA

Hello: I recently replaced my old Harman Kardon receiver with a new AVR 254 home theater receiver from H-K. Now I find out I need a preamp to power my unpowered Bose Accoustimass-5 subwoofer. 1-Can anyone recommend a preamp and 2-how do I connect it? My Bose sub is wired to the speaker cubes, not to the receiver.
Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 560
Greetings Bob,

If I am not mistaken aren't there 2 inputs and 2 outputs on you bass module (please do not call it a subwoofer). If so then you wire the inputs from your new receiver's front left and right and the outputs to the speakers. Your receiver will power the "woofers" in the bass module. The problem I see you having is not being able to enjoy any surround sound with just the 2 front speakers.

Username: Uk_nige

Uk

Hi folks! UK Here.

Here's my dilemma:

I bought a Pyle PDIWS12 in-wall subwoofer and I need to power it since my amplifier (Denon) only has a female plug-hole thingy for a self powered amp - oh bugger! ALSO, my Pyle in-wall subwoofer is 'Dual Voiced'???? and has two lots of speaker wire connectors. Arghhhhhhhhh! HELLLPPPP! HELLLPPPP! (said like Sid the Sloth) So, my questions are:

HOW AND WITH WHAT DO I POWER IT?

WHAT THE HELL ARE THERE TWO LOTS OF SPEAKER CONNECTORS FOR AT THE BACK?

Miffed!

Silver Member

Post Number: 612
Have you tried asking Pyle these questions directly? You can email them at this address:

support [at] pyleaudio.com

Username: Uk_nige

Uk

Post Number: 2
Hi Jim,

Yes I have but so far nobody has got back to me - not sure if Chrimbo had anything to do with delay? Anyway, I'm going to try again tonight. If and when I do get an answer I will post the reply, since I discoverd 'ecoustics' via internet search in the first place. Who knows, it may help sombody else in the same boat. If anybody can help me in the meantime, that would be great! THANKS AGAIN JIM!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us