How do I record from a Dish Network DVR to a DVD recorder?

Username: Goodlookinman

Tygh Valley, OR USA

Post Number: 1
I've got a Dish Network DVR connected to a Denon receiver, which then outputs to my TV and speaker system. I want to save a program that's currently on the DVR by sending it to my DVD recorder (w/o a TV tuner). How do I connect the various components to do this?

It seems like I have to "split" the signal that is normally sent from the DVR to the TV so that it also is sent to the DVD recorder. Or else "forward" the video signal from the TV to the DVD recorder. There aren't connectors on any of the equipment (that I can find) that are intended for this purpose.

By playing around I was able to record the audio from the DVR to the DVD recorder but not the video.

BTW the DVD recorder works fine when it is playing a DVD and sending the signal to the receiver and thence to the TV.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 267
To give you a specific answer I would need to know how all of your components are connected (i.e. HDMI, component video, etc.) but it is likely that all you need to know is that just like a VCR the DVD recorder needs to be in the signal path between your DVR and the TV. If that is not possible then taking either an extra out for your receiver or even an output from your TV might solve your issue.

Hope this helps, if not please let us know how all of your components are hooked together. We can then get a bit more specific.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 275
You have to connect the DVR using one of its audio/video outputs to the DVD recorders audio/video input. When you do you have to select the input on the DVD recorder that you used to connect the DVR to the DVD recorder and doing so will vary according to the DVD recorder. When you do provided the DVD recorder is connected to the TV and you have the input selected that the DVD recorder is connected to on the TV you should start seeing the DVR output on the TV screen. This means you have it setup correctly. You can then start a recording and start what you want to record on the DVR. Start there. Any questions?

Username: Goodlookinman

Tygh Valley, OR USA

Post Number: 2
Problem solved!

Thanks to Jim and Jeff.

The Dish Network DVR has component and composite output to TV#1 (HD), component output to TV#2 (SD), and coax out to "Home Distribution" (SD).

I already use the composite out to my receiver and thence to my primary TV, and I use the coax out to send the standard definition signal to a remote TV in my basement.

So, I connected the composite output to TV#2 to the composite input on the DVD recorder and everything works as Jeff suggested.

The picture isn't great but that's OK, I just want to record a few kid's movies to DVDs for my grandkids.

Thanks a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us