Username: Matchstick_johnny

Post Number: 1
Here is what I have:
TV
LG 32LC7D
http://www.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-32lc7d/4505-6482_7-32385735.html

Cable Box/DVR
Motorola DCH 3416
http://www.motorola.com/business/v/item.jsp?vgnextoid=6c2d9e3eeed46110VgnVCM1000 008406b00aRCRD&localeId=33

Home Theater
Sony HT-DDW750
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/sony/home-theater-packages/PRD_285354_4281crx.asp x

CD/DVD
Sony DVP-NS300
http://www.amazon.com/SONY-DVP-NS300-Video-Player-Black/dp/B00005KC6B

Our family room is 25 x 15. We just mounted our flat screen on the wall above the gas fireplace. The cable box is directly below the TV on the mantle piece. The receiver and DVD are in an entertainment center about 6 feet to the left.

The TV and cable box are connected with an HDMI cable. I have an 8 foot Monster THX Fiber Optic Digital Audio Cable going from the DVD to the receiver. All I need now is to get video from the DVD and audio from the TV. The DVD player can do S-Video and Component. I will need about 18-20 feet of cable so I am trying to decide if I really need Component or will S-Video be good enough. The speakers on the TV are great but if I want to use my surround sound I need to get some RCA cables to connect to the receiver.

Your thoughts or ideas are welcome. Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 266
You will need to run composite cables (explained below) from the DVD to the TV and an optical cable or a digital coax cable from the CABLE BOX out to the receiver but PLEASE do not buy the same brand cables as you already have. Get any new cabling you need from:

www.monoprice.com

Before finishing this post, is there any way I can talk you into an HDMI switching receiver???

If so we would have one HDMI cable going to the TV, everything else would hook to the receiver and, most importantly, you would get the best picture and sound from all of the components.

You can certainly run S Video from your DVD but it will display everything that was wrong with video prior to HD. In other words, your TV is now so good that it will gladly show you everything bad about the signal carried by S-Video and especially composite video.

If you hook everything up as described at the onset of this post it should work and hopefully, you can hide all of the wires. If so, enjoy!

Post Number: 2
Ok. Now I am confused.

I wanted to run either S-Video or Component Video cables from my DVD to my HD TV.

I am all set with audio for the DVD since I already have the digital cable going from the DVD to the receiver.

The only other thing is to add audio cables from the TV to the receiver so my TV can do surround sound. Are you saying I can run cable from the cable box to the receiver to achieve this?

Again the issue with these cables is finding the proper length. I will need at least 18-20 feet but can't find those in the local stores.

I currently have one HDMI cable so I am not sure what you meant.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 278
Component is better so its worth doing. I concur with Jim that you will want to attach digital audio such as optical or digital coax from the cable box to the receiver to hear sound from the receiver when you are watching cable. You do not really need to connect the TV to the receiver as the source of any sound that you hear will be from the cable box or the DVD player and connecting audio from the TV is really not necesary. Sooo yes from the cable box to the reciever. You will only be using the TV for video not audio.

Jim's suggestion for monoprice is a very good one! I wanted to go into a little more detail as to why. Charging outrageous amounts for cable on the premise that they are somehow better is a complete and total myth. Going with monster is a huge mistake financially and is of no benefit whatsoever when dealing with the cable runs that you are so save a few bucks and do not be sucked into the high price cable fiasco. The ones on monoprice are as good as any. You will be able to find the length of component cables you are looking for. Jim provided you with a link to the site. You most certianly are not going to find cables in any stores at the prices on monoprice. Any store that you buy from will have bloated prices on cables. The point that is being made is just an attempt to save you a lot of money.

Jim,

I do not understand why he has to use composite from the DVD as it has componenet output and I am certain that if the TV is HDMI it has at least a couple of component inputs??

Post Number: 3
Yes. Monoprice seems to be the best place for cables. Thank you for the tip!

I figure 25 feet of 3 wire component will be more than enough to connect the DVD to the TV.

I am using the optical digital in on the reciever right now to hear the DVD player. So I will need to use the coax connection on the reciver to hook the cable box too. Can I use both at the same time?? Sorry, it must seem like such a rookie question.

I just want to figure out what I will need to get this going. Right now I think I just need coax from cable box to receiver and 3 wire component from DVD to TV.

Also, are the speaker cables that came with the Sony HT in a box good enough?

THANKS!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
Using digital coax (usually orange colored rca type connector) is a good way to do it, so yes coax from cable box to receiver.. Its not as good as optical but you will not notice any audible difference especially at the cable length you are dealing with. Component from DVD to TV is your best option, so yes. You will also want to verify that your DVD player is set to output progressive scan. This is very important so if you need help doing it say so! GO for it you know what to do :-)

Post Number: 4
My DVD player is NOT progressive scan. Its just a basic old Sony. Is that a problem? If so I have a Toshiba on the basement TV that does progressive scan.

Thanks again for your help!

Again, Just to clarify...The TV is hung on the wall above the mantle piece. The cable box is on the mantle piece. About six feet away is the entertainment center(or armoire)that holds the reciever and DVD player. So the only extra cables I need are a component and coax audio that will be long enough.

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
Yes the DVD not being progressive scan is a HUGE problem!! Use the one that is in the basement on this TV and use the "basic old Sony" in the Basement. If this is not an option seriously consider a new preferrably HDMI Progressive scan DVD player. If its not totally out of reach maybe even a Blu-ray player. Blu-ray players also play DVD's and also do what is called upconvert DVD. I suggest this because the money going into a regular DVD player would be better spent on Blu-Ray. At least find sone way of having Progressive scan DVD, if you don't the picture will not be any better than VHS!

Post Number: 5
Ok. The thing is that I do not want to have to buy more hardware. I just wanted to get my current equipment up and running now that we mounted our TV to the wall.

I have a Toshiba SD-3960SU that will do progressive scan. This unit has component video jacks but it only has coaxial audio out. That is not a problem because the Sony HT-DDW750 came with a coaxial cable that I never put to use. So now it looks like I will need to purchase a long optical tosslink for the cable box to receiver connection.

I think I am ready to make a purchase. Here is what I think I need.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2767&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023502&p_id=2179&seq=1&format=2

Also, are the speaker cables that came with the Sony HT-DDW750 good enough?

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
OK, it looks like you have a plan.. Remember that you may have to configure the Toshiba DVD player to output digital audio and progressive scan. If you need help with this let me know. The speaker wire you have should be fine provided it is long enough for what you have planned. Good Luck! Let me know how it works out!

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
I am confusing component and composite AGAIN!!! Got it wrong on the first sentence too!!! Sorry about that!

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Johnny, It looks like you are doing everything correctly. The speaker wire should be fine provided its long enough. This is very important; make sure the Toshiba DVD player is configured to output digital audio and progressive scan otherwise you are wasting you time on some of the things you are going to the trouble of doing!

Post Number: 6
Thank you.

One last question(not likely), will I be losing any audio/video quality if I run a 50 foot optical and component cable? If so, I might be able to get by with a shorter run.

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
Generally speaking if they make a cable that long and sell it on Monoprice then it should work fine. Now having said that, I might consider using a higher quality cable going that sort of distance. In other words if you find two cables that would work I would consider buying the more expensive one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
Johnny, are you able to configure the Toshiba DVD to output digital audio and progressive scan or will you need help? This is very important. I really do not think that monoprice would be selling a cable length that is not designed to operate at the cable length they are selling as this is a basic specification in the production of such a cable and the manufacturer would know this when producing it so you should be fine with the one you have chosen. Its kind of like saying if I order a 50 foot cable are they going to send me 25 feet :-)

Post Number: 7
I should be OK setting the DVD to progressive scan. If I get stuck I will give you a yell. I am thinking I will order 25 feet of 3 wire component and 25 of optical. I am going through the floor to the basement and back up so hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks again for your time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Use 25 feet of string (or some such thing) to make sure before you order. You have to make sure because if you come up short...

Post Number: 8
I ordered 35 feet of digital optical and 35 feet of 3 plug component video this afternoon.

Another question..........
Is ther any way to put the Comcast cable box/DVR into the entertainment center WITHOUT having to point the remote control (to the left) at the entertainment center? Right now the box is on the mantlepiece and it looks kind of bad. I would like to have no equipment on it. I am sure lots of people hang their flat screens over the fireplace. What do they do with their cable box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Definitely! This is one option that works well. All that is visible is the "eye" (seen on top in the picture) and the rest stays with all of your components.

http://www.amazon.com/IR-Repeater-System-Control-Theater/dp/B0016PM63W

There are several other options such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Remote-Control-Signal-Sender/dp/B00009W3AU

This gizmo is really easy to set up but you do have to look at the cone.

Post Number: 9
UPDATE:
Got my cables Friday from Monoprice. 25 feet probably would have done the job but for about $6 more I got 35 feet. I was able to run the cables from the first floor down to the basement and back up again. I even pulled back my cable wire and ran that down and back up again. No wires running along the floor! The only problem I have is running them up through the wall in back of the TV. It's such a tight fit so I think its best to call in a professional. Luckily we have an electrician who only charges $45 an hour. Once he clears a path in the wall I can run all the cable myself.

I hooked up the DVD to test it and it looks good. As I mentioned the Toshiba does progressive scan but I might upgrade at some point. Obviously, an up-conversion DVD is better right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
Is the wall your talking about an outside wall?

Post Number: 10
Yes it is. We already had a guy come and mount the TV to the wall and he also put an outlet behind the TV. PLUS he put another outlet and another hole for cables near the top of the mantle piece. We are not happy with it. I want the outlets out of there. I will need to patch some holes in the wall. There is a path for the cables to run, its just too tight or congested with all the unnecessary outlet wire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
Your problem makes sense then. Insulation issues!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us