Goodmans GHC4200PRO

Username: Merc

Post Number: 1
recently had a V+ BOX fitted.used a otical lead between V+ and surround sound.also using a coaxle lead between surrond sound and DVD player.using a hdmi lead between V+ and TV.had no problems at first.then lost all sound.after checking leads and resetting the power all was well again.lost all sound again nothing seems to solve the problem.can anybody HELP please...

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 233
It might help to know what "surround sound" is. In other words, if you are using a Home Theater in a Box (HTiB) or an Audio Video Receiver (AVR).

From your description thus far I would guess that you have some speaker wires shorted (crossed) and your surround sound is shutting down in preserve mode during playback and restoring itself after reset.

Hope this helps, this sort of thing can definitely be frustrating

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
Sorry, I just learned what a Goodmans is!! So that is one question answered (a HTiB).

It is still a good idea to carefully check the speaker cables to make sure that the individual wires are not touching each other at all. If, after that, you can still recreate the problem I would disconnect all but one speaker and try again. If the problem still occurs try a different speaker. If it happens again you may have a problem inside the box that needs looking at by a service center.

If the problem does not reoccur with just one speaker hooked up then add in the other speakers one at a time until it does. When the problem reoccurs you have found your problem, replace that speakers wire, try again and if it fails the speaker is your culprit and may need replacement.

This little test will only solve this issue if the problem is some sort of wiring short. There are a few other resons that this could happen and may need the attention of a service center to solve.

Post Number: 2
yes its a 5.1 home theatre speaker system.it has a test mode which tests each speaker individually all seems well with that. which tells me maybe it could be some kind of input problem.what do you think..

Post Number: 3
sorry forgot to also say that ive had it two years with no prpblems using just a coaxle lead.it was when i connected to the V+ cable box with a optical lead and used a HDMI lead to the tv that problems started.i will still check the speaker wires for a short.thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
You mentioned in the first post that all sound shut off and I assume this means that the DVD player and V+ both do not operate correctly. If this is true then a speaker wire could have been pinched during this recent installation that would be a likely cause of this problem. Inputs generally do not cause such trouble unless there is a problem with the device itself. This would mean that the V+ would not work but the DVD would.

Post Number: 4
they both work through the tv,starting to think maybe a problem with the surrond system.just seems strange havin these problems since i changed the setup.maybe time to ring the help line.what do you think jim..

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
If you have run through the speaker check (hook up just one then add one at a time until the problem reoccurs) then yes, it is time for a phone call!

Post Number: 5
ok thanks for your help jim...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us