Onkyo TX-SR805

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 242
John S,

I have been gnawing on your statement about the tremendous differences between an Onkyo TX-SR605 and an Onkyo TX-SR705. I own an TX-SR705 and your statement is starting to make me wonder if I made a mistake not going with a TX-SR805. Are my doubts justified or have I made a good decision?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2275
­
Hey Jeff, good to hear from you. I haven't been around for a couple of days. Just to repeat, what I said was that there was significant difference between the 605 and 705 specifically regarding the choices of surround modes on incoming analog and PCM sources. And, I guess I was implying two other things.

One, that just because one model does X, it doesn't mean the model immediately below does the same thing. And two, specifications, no matter how detailed they may seem, do not tell the whole story. Stuff like surround modes available under certain conditions doesn't get mentioned. It's the kind of thing that nobody notices until they have had and used the receiver for a while.

All I can say is that I'm absolutely sure your 705 is worthy, especially in its price class. In comparing it to the 805, all I can see is that the 805 has two possibly important factors: some greater power reserve and that it has "certified 4 ohm performance." These two things might be important should you change to more power hungry, lower impedance speakers. But considering the number of good speakers nominally rated at 8 ohms for home use, the 805's stability may never be a factor. So I would stick with your 705 and take Bobby McFerrin's advice: "Dont Worry, Be Happy."

BTW, if you're still afflicted with "upgrade-itis" go to the book store and buy the latest copy of the June Home Theater. In it they examine the "video processing in today's top AVRs to find out which solutions make the grade." The Onkyo 875 wiped the floor with AVRs from Sony, Yamaha, and Denon.
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
Thanks John,

I really appreciate your sound and articulate assesments. I am happy with the 705 and I am going to stick with it. Thanks for saving me a few bucks on something that I do not really need.

I have another question on speakers, from what I have seen everyone says to get speakers based on what you think of the sound so I realize I am asking this at the risk of being told the same thing. Is there a type of speaker that I should direct my interests to based on the fact that I am using a 705? What price range should I be loooking at? Is there a brand you prefer or does that really matter? Is it unwise to purchase speakers online that you have not had the oppurtunity to hear? I ask because this aproach obviously limits your choices. If I restrict my choices to what I have actually been able to hear I would be limited to what the stores in my area have. I realize that I cannot base this on spec. and that would not be an issue if it were not for the fact that I am limiting myself to what is available in my area. I guess my primary concern is that how can I know what is the best speaker if I am not really able to hear a wide range of speakers in the stores local to my area. For example if I have the opportunity to hear maybe 10 different sets and there are a 1000 then how do I know if what I am hearing is really what I want?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 217
Perhaps I can help a bit. Many years in the automotive audio biz had me making the decisions for what the car sounded like and then immediately getting hammered by the customer over those decisions. If you buy speakers online without listening to them you are trusting that that brands audio engineers have built something that you will enjoy. Many times that works well as with a car but sometimes the more critical of those among us become, well, more critical. "Those" people (myself included) then have no choice but to go out and listen to speakers in as many stores and friends houses (and in my case clients) as possible then make a leap of faith that the speakers chosen won't be too disappointing once they are set up at home (they will sound different)and then either return them, live with them, or constantly tweak them. The curse of audioholics the world over!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Jim ,You're great, very forgiving :-) and generous. I always find myself with a better understanding when reading your posts.

While I am still very interested in what you have to say John i think I have decided on the best way to aproach this. I think that based on everything that I have read that this decision is better left to seasoned professionals and if its OK, Jim and John just tell me what speakers to get. You guys know more about it than me! I don't want to spend a fortune but I would like to get a nice set. I prefer crisp highs and deep lows.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
How much room do you have?

Big speakers or small?

What sort of budget?

Movies or music? Both?

How loud when it sounds really good??

How are the neighbors / other family members going to behave?

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Forgot to mention this is a 7.1 setup.

I have enough room.

The front right, left, and center can be big but the center needs to fit on a sony shelf below the TV that is a little over 8 inches high. The width is not an issue. If I had to I could resort to placing the center above the TV but would prefer not to.

I would like to be able to wall mount the surrounds.

Not sure what my budget is. It depends on what I have to spend to make this worth doing.

Movies and Music (both)

I like to jam kind of loud and I have to get kind of loud to sound good with current speakers.

Not concerned about your last question as there are ways around that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Some recommendations:
Polk:
L/R: Monitor 60
C: CS2
S/SB: Monitor 40
SUB: PSW125

Klipsch:
L/R: F-2
C: C-2
S/SB: S-2
SUB: Sub-12

Paradigm:
L/R: Monitor 9
C: CC-390
S/SB: ADP-390
SUB: PW-2100

Axiom:
L/R: M50 v2
C: VP100 v2
S/SB: OS4 v2
SUB: EP175 v2

Oh and the list goes on and on...

Price points can be much high and somewhat lower if you prefer but these are some examples of comparable systems at one price point (less than $2000.00). The other company I am interested in advertises on this forum all the time called Fluance. They might be interesting to check out as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Thanks Jim,

Interesting point; I live about a half hour from you "Its a small world after all." I figure since this is true you should be able to tell me where I should look? I live in Howell by Brighton and Hartland.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
You can go to any of the manufacturer's web sites, go to Dealer Locater plug in your zip code and find the nearest dealer of that particular brand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Come on, You have to have a couple of good places to recommend :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
OK, you have definitely asked so this isn't spam right???

Paulson's Audio And Video (Farmington Hills 12 and Halstead) is "family" (do you remember World TV and Appliance in Brighton?) and is well worth looking into:

http://www.paulsonsav.com/index.php?page=home

They sell Energy speakers which you would probably like a lot.

The Detroit area standby however is the Gramophone in Birmingham (Woodward and 14 Mile) and right down the road in Royal Oak is Audio Video Alternatives.

OK, with that said another place that I have been meaning to go to for quite a while now is Audio/Video System on Grand River in Novi:

http://www.avsmi.com/

That list ought to get you started!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Thanks again Jim, and no its definitely not spam if the advice was solicited by a poster. The only way this really would be spam would be if the advice was unsolicited and that was the only reason you were even visiting this site and we all know that this is not true. That is quite evident by your 220 plus posts :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us