Playstation 2 and onkyo receiver

Username: Thom123ht

Post Number: 10
I bought the tx-sr805 recently. i hooked up (among other things) a playstation 2. I want the Onkyo remote to operate the DVD functions on the playstation 2. I read in the manual how to make the remote "learn" the functions of other remotes by facing them to each other and hitting a series of buttons. Well the Onkyo remote acts (with red blinking lights) like it learned from the playstation remote what to do. But when i go to use it on the PS2 it doesn't work at all. Is there a code i can try for the PS2 like the codes are listed for tv's,dvd's,vcr's etc... If not what else can i try or can you give me some insight or help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 213
I am not sure about PS2 but I know that PS3 uses Bluetooth to transmit remote signals. If PS2 does as well then your Onkyo remote will not work without a converter of some sort (or as I am going to do for a customer, buy a Sony remote.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Jim thanks for the response, you say a converter of some sort, what exactly do you mean? where can i find one or research the possibility of one. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
A little research into PS2 teaches me that there were older models that did not have an IR eye. This sets me back a bit because I have to assume your PS2 has an IR eye if your Sony DVD remote works at all meaning, of course, that you do not need an IR to Bluetooth converter. Knowing that, I would try inputting the Sony DVD codes into your Onkyo remote to see if one of them would work.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Jim, thanks for the reply. Technically it is not a sony remote. I bought the PS2, then a month or so later i bought an after market device you plug into where you normally plug in the controller. This allows you to use the supplied remote control instead of using the controller to play DVD's. The PS2 is 39001 series(No eye). The DVD remote is "intec". I hope that helps more with my issue. Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
The Intec website is USELESS for information so I will have to ask you. First off, is this remote IR or RF? (IR needs to be pointed at, or "see" the plug in adapter, RF would work in another room). If it is IR then as I mentioned before you could input the Sony remote codes for DVD (20533, 21533, 20864, 21033, 21070, 21431, 21432, 21433, 21548, 21824, 21892, 22020, 22043) to see if that would work for you. If it is RF, well then you might be stuck buying a bit more advanced remote such as a Harmony product.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us