Speaker Mounts

Username: Skon1212

Post Number: 2
When I had my house built, I had it wired for surround sound. Instead of using in wall speakers which at this time i really cant afford, I wanted to just buy a home theater in a box system and mount those speakers where the wires and wall plates are. My question is, does anyone know of a company that makes a mount that I can use and attach to the boxes where my wall plates and wiring are? I really dont want to drill more holes to put the mounts into the studs. Or does anyone know a way to fabricate a mount that would go where the wall plate is. Thanks in advance for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 491
Wall Plate should be attatched to a wall beam. If you don't screw the speaker mount into the beam there is a chance your speaker will fall off the wall and hit someone in the head. You have a good idea and if the speaker is light enough and you use a strong sheet rock anchor you maybe able to put the speaker over the wall plate but not attach to it. All that said you would still be putting more holes in the wall so just screw the mount into the beam.

Username: Skon1212

Post Number: 3
Makes sense, but there are the 2 screws that hold the blank plate in place on the box. I was wondering if anyone made a moount that I could use those 2 holes for. The box is nailed into the stud so it would hold. This way I can cover the hole where the plate was and not have to add more drill holes,

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 205
Casey is correct in that any electrical box be it for AC or in this case probably backless made for low voltage is not fastened to a stud in such a way as to support any weight at all. It is likely just nailed to the stud and hanging a speaker on it would likely do a LOT more damage to your wall than two more screws will.

It would be a cool idea to design the whole system (the new work gang box being the important part) to work as you suggest Steve. A million dollar idea!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us