How to get surround sound out of rca analog

Username: Jordanepic

Post Number: 1
I've got a HDTV connected via HDMI cable to an HD DVD player (for picture), then I've got a separate crappy surround sound Progressive Scan DVD system connected to the DVD player (for audio). Here's the problem; the HD DVD player has one HDMI port, Component Video, RCA ports, and one digital audio out port. The Surround sound system has Component video jacks, and Left & Right Analog ports. I've got the audio system hooked up via rca Left/Right to the HD player, therefor when I watch a movie in HD, I only get stereo sound, not 5.1. I'd like to run the digital audio out from my HD player to the surround system (which doesn't have digital audio in)...I head there's a way to "hi-jack" on of the rca connectors into a digital in. Anyone know how to do this?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2249
­
Jordan, unless your surround system has some sort of matrixed or simulated surround effect, you are out of luck. What you need is a real audio/video receiver which would decode the digital optical output coming out of the HD DVD player into true discreet 5.1 channel audio.

Are you sure your surround system doesn't have a simulated surround effect that could be applied to the analog stereo audio signal coming into it?
­

Post Number: 2
The system has dolby digital ss, but only if I use it as the main dvd player. I can't connect another dvd player to it to achieve the same sound quality. I'm just being cheap, after buying the HD tv I am trying to pinch pennies instead of buy a new ss system

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 26
Unless the system has the digital coax (orange port), or the digital optical port, you're out of luck.

Post Number: 3
The system has dolby digital built in, it just doesn't have the digital output besides rca plugs & component video. Some guy I know who is good with electronics told me that since it has the capacity to output 5.1, it would be possible to crack it open, and cross some wires or something to turn one of the rca ports into a digital in. He said it was easily done. Any know if this is true or is he blowing smoke up my a**?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2250
­
"Any know if this is true or is he blowing smoke up my a**?"

Yep. Tell you what....ask this friend of yours you'll buy him a six pack if he'll perform this "easily done" thing.

On second thought, don't let him near your ss unit because he'll screw it up.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us