Set-up suggestions

Username: Keenkahm

Post Number: 1
I have an xbox 360, wii, and ps2 all hooked up to my samsung 46" dlp via component and an hdtv cable box hooked up through hdmi. I had a set of logitech z-5300e's hooked to the tv by rca to 1/8 stereo mini converter, which I was very happy with and could get audio through the speakers from all inputs. I'm upgrading to a set of z-5500s and was wondering if optical cable from my Samsung's optical out into the z-5500s optical in would be the best choice and if the various audio inputs into the tv (360, wii, ps2, cable box) will still come out through the single optical out.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 169
I might be wrong but it is not likely that the analog signals from your games are converted to digital in your TV. You could still get an optical cable to enjoy the digital sound from your cable box as long as the analog connections are made as well.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the option of running an optical cable either from the tv or the cable box, any suggestions? I really wanted to get digital from both my 360 and hd cable channels (don't play the wii or ps2 much anymore), but the 5500 only has one optical input, one of the drawbacks. Can I convert the 360 or cable box optical cable to a digital coax to get both digital and still keep the mini stereos plugged in for everything else?

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 209
I think you are really compromising what could be a great setup. Based on what you are trying to do your best bet would be to go with a home theater that has an Audio/Video Receiver that is capable of giving you the full benefit of the devices you are using. What you are proposing is really not going to give you true surround sound so it kind of defeats the purpose. You will have the right number of speakers but you will not have the quality of sound that a system of its type should have. If I were going to purchase the logitech's it would be for a pc. There are simply not enough inputs on the logitechs to do what you are trying to do properly. How much are you planning to spend on the Z-5500's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
Bravo Jeff I wholeheartedly agree!!!

Post Number: 3
actually, they're already on their way. Got them for 200 with free shipping. Had a pretty limited budget. I loved my 5300's until control pod went out, so my standard of quality may be off from others here, and for only $100 more, it seemed like a good idea. I was mainly interested in a surround sound kit that could put out the digital signals from the 360 and tv. I've seen hub/switches for optical cables (3-to-1, etc) and converters for optical-to-digital coax, any thoughts on either? Being that the speakers are paid for, I'm trying to make the most out of it. Thanks again...the fact that there are people like you out there to help us people out is awesome!! also wondering about difference between optical out from the tv vs. the cable box. Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
I guess you could use switches. You can get a switch and connect its output to the logitech and the devices you are trying to use to the switches input. The only drawback is you would not be able to remote control it so when you want to change from one device to another you will have to walk over and manually switch it. That would be your best solution and you would get true surround that way. I did not realize you had already made the purchase. You could have gotten an entire home theater for close to what you spent.

Jim, I looked at monoprice and I am not seeing much for toslink switches, any help?

Post Number: 4
Shoot, I've gone from excited to slightly disappointed. I looked/listened to systems at stores, did internet research, and read over 300 reviews glowing about this system, didn't think I could do even comparable with an HTIB or separate purchases for the same amount. Guess I was wrong. Any suggestions for a comparably priced home theater set-up? I guess I could always re-sell or send it back if there is something else out there worth it. thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
3 questions to answer

1. Keenan, you will want to use the optical out of the cable box once we straighten all of this out.
2. If you end up keeping the Logitech an optical switch can be purchased from several places one being Amazon. Google this:
Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink Selector Switch for Fiber Optic Connections (Silver)

Cost: $15.49

3. HTiB for ~$200.00:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=484719&i s=REG

The logitech system will probably be great but the minute you add the cable box to all the game consoles, I for one, then consider that Home Theater therefore my support for Jeff's suggestion. Try the logitech and see how it goes with the switch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Keenan, When I said close to what you spent I meant about $300.00 or more. You seem happy with the logitechs and since you have already purchased them I would just go with the switch. I have a set of the Z-5500's for my PC. They are not a bad setup. I just would not use them for a home theater as they are not equipped to do this properly but with the switch that Jim suggested you can make it work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
Just to answer your question about Home Theater packages you could have gotten in your price range. Just 2 of many examples.

This unit is $269.00 -5.1 setup (like the logitech)

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=580HTS600S &cc=01&wm=cl

This unit is $329.00 -7.1 setup

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=580HTS700S&tp=6452
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us