Connecting Sony Subwoofer to TV or Pioneer All in one Home theatre

Username: Toojade

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I've got a new Sony SA-W3000 active subwoofer which takes speaker level and RCA level inputs.

I've tried connecting it to the TV using RCA to the TV subwoofer out but there's nothing.

Then I tried connecting it to the pioneer all in one system, replacing my old subwoofer which uses speaker wires with the new one, still no sound.

Is my new woofer blown or do I need to connect it to a dedicated receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 151
There are two things you could do. One is to wire the front left and right speakers from your Pioneer to the new subwoofer speaker level IN binding posts then run wire to the front left/right speakers from the speaker level OUT posts that way you could keep your Pioneer bass box (passive sub). If you wanted to remove the Pioneer bass box from your system you could try using it's wire to the new sub's speaker level binding post (just use one or the other). The one concern using this method would be a difference in how you set the sub crossover and phase.

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq.html

FAQ 5 and 6

Good luck, it should make a huge improvement to your system.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jim, what a quick reply.

Actually I did remove the pioneer bass box and used its wire to my new sub.

And maybe I figured out my problem...have I blown my sub cos, I just realised the AC rating is 120V (US model) and I live in Singapore (240V), but the sub still powers on though...? What's my next course of action besides taking to Sony Service Center to check?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 152
Well the first thing then is to make sure you have it plugged into the proper step down transformer!

Do you have your bass box wires hooked to the speaker IN posts on the Sony?

Can you make the sub make any noise at all? Subs are notorious for making loud thumping noises when you wire them while they are powered up (not the recommended way of doing things).

If there is no sound then:

I cannot find a decent picture of the control panel on your Sony so I am just guessing here but hopefully there is a fuse on the control panel that needs replacing.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jim, you have been most helpful...there's absolutely no sound...I really think I might have blown it and there's no use panel (hopefully its on the inside) I'll bring it down to Sony for a check
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us