Bose Jewel Speakers - help

Username: Paulv

Post Number: 2
Hi there, I posted the same topic in the "speakers" section. I am hoping I can get more help in this area.}

Hi Folks,
I am new here and hoping that I can get some help.

I recently purchased some Bose jewel speakers the ones that come with the lifestyles 48 system. In retrospect it may have been a mistake and I may end up selling them.

I am hoping I can get some help. I did not get the sub to go with it. Can I hook those speakers to another type of sub or do I need to purchase a Bose one?
Also, can connect to a normal Denon receiver?

I am really getting the run around by Bose so I am hoping that I can get some help here.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 138
Yes you can connect them to your Denon and run any active subwoofer you would like bu tI personally think you would be better off selling them.

If you want to use them you will have to deal with the connectors in some fashion and I would suggest that you do not cut them off until you are sure that you like the sound. That would mean doing some temporary "creative wiring".

Post Number: 3
thanks so much.
any subwoofer that you would suggest?

The reason I bought them was the size, I live in a fairly small place and do not need a big speaker.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
There are dozens of subs that would work well for you, one would be a Polk PSW 10.
http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/polk-audio-psw10-black/4505-11312_7-31127154. html

OR a Klipsch RPW-10

http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/klipsch-reference-series-rpw/4505-11312_7-324 26066.html?tag=prod.txt.1

Velodyne VX-10

http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/velodyne-vx-10-subwoofer/4505-11312_7-3109698 8.html?tag=prod.txt.2

or any small sub from reputable manufacturers. Any of these can be hidden behind furniture if space is a problem.

Post Number: 4
thanks very much, much appreciated. That Polk one has a very good review

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
I have a Polk in my (read: wife's) living room:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/gallery.html

4th picture down (the one that takes so long to load)

it is hidden behind the chair on the left. It has the ability to bother the
neighbors but also blends well with the Advents I have in there. You will be asking a bit more from yours (because of the small satellite speakers):

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq.html

FAQ 5 & 6.

I am sure, in a small room, you will be pretty happy with it.

Post Number: 5
thanks again,
I will try out the Bose speakers and see how it sounds....hopefully they will do the job

Post Number: 7
is there any chance that a receiver would blow these speakers? I am so very confused...and am thinking that I may have made a mistake buying these speakers...

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 201
Where did you buy them and how long ago? Have you considered just returning them? What is the store's return policy?

Post Number: 9
Hey,
Yeah I checked yesterday and I am allowed to return them which I am going to.
I am going to go with Orb speakers which seem to have a pretty good rep and everything that I have read seems to be positive. I am going to buy them from their website...unless some knows of a better place to purchase them? I live in Canada...

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
That is probably your best bet. Even if the bose speakers are ok it is always going to be in the back of your mind that you made a mistake so you would probably not be happy with them simply because you are not comfortable with the decision to buy them.

You have made a good decision simply because you are at least comfortable with the decision to purchase the Orb's.

Post Number: 10
Jim,
I am leaning towards the PSW10 subwoofer...great reviews. I am also going to get the Orb speakers.

Q. for you? How about the Orb subwoofer? how does it rank? I thought I would buy the complete ORB system. I do not necessarily have to but am considering it? What do you think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Since you are making the switch to the Orb speakers I would, personally, get the orb sub as well. Make it a matched set!!! The Polk will also work but that recommendation came while thinking that you were going to stick with the Bose speakers.

I think you will be a happy camper with the Orb set!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
excellent!!
Thanks again...

Now on to a decent receiver...I am thinking about the Denon 888 or 788. I don't see a huge difference?
I do not play video games...just watch TV and listen to music... mostly cd's

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/257.asp?compareitem=3633&compareitem=364 1&imageField.x=62&imageField.y=20

By your usage description I am guessing that you would might never fully utilize the differences between the two but I might also add that the improvements you are making may be the beginning of an affliction many of us have. It is not well defined nor am I aware of a name for it but it symptoms are universally recognized as an ongoing outlay of cash for bigger and better HT equipment.

If there is any chance of this happening to you go with the 888 now and save the expense of buying it (or something even more expensive) in the future!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
good advice indeed.
I am pretty simple when it comes to what I will be doing.
I don't see too much of a difference in the 2, besides the wattage...and price of course

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Most of the differences are goodies for the connectivity of various devices. As mentioned you probably would not use many of them and if you are looking for simplicity (a presumption on my part) the 788 should do the job nicely.

Is there any chance for you to go to a nearby store listen to receivers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
yeah, I am not looking for too much. I am getting a new 1080p tv as well and a blueray/cd combo player....those are about the only items I will be using. As well as an HD box.
Yes, I can get to lots of stores around here to listen to revievers... I live in Vancouver, Canada.
what did you have in mind?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
The best way to shop for audio equipment is to go listen to it. There has yet to be a spec made that can tell you how you like to hear things!!! There are also "look and feel" issues (how the controls are laid out or even how comfortable you are with the remote in your hand) that is hard to judge from a picture! Perhaps you have already done this and decided on the Denon but if not go find a Denon and make sure you like it in the store, it will help ensure that you make the proper decision.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
good advice again..
I have done all of the above. Aesthetically, I really like the Denon. I was considering Pioneer but really did not like the shine on it. I really like the mat finishing of the Denon I also really like the simplicity of the remote control...saw a few other models and just too complicated for my needs.

looks wise the 888 and 788 and 988 for that matter, look pretty similar

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Then if the 788 has all the inputs that you need and you have seen a Denon DVD player that you like all we need to do now is spend your money on a great TV!!! Man, I LOVE spending other peoples money!! If only I could make money at it!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I will be sure to spend a lot of my money on your behalf.... :-)

Thanks again, you have been very helpful. I am sure I will be back to ask more questions.

One last querie. I am thinking about getting the "Peoples Choice" package from Orb. It comes with at an 8" sub. should I up-grade to the 10"?
pretty big price difference extra 299 for the 10". Especially considering the Polk one is about $250.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
To upgrade the subwoofer ask yourself two things, how big is your room and how much punch do I want?

If the room is large and/or you are going to hide the sub behind furniture I would suggest going with the larger more powerful one (oh who am I kidding I would buy the bigger one no matter what).

The only problem with the bigger sub generally is bothering other people when you use it.

Do not buy the wires or cables from Orb, they are way too expensive you can get what you need for a lot less from www.monoprice.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
Have you looked at Onkyo? The Onkyo TX-SR705 can be had for $650 or less. It has one more HDMI input than the Denon.

Jim, What is your opinion when comparing the Denon to this Onkyo. I have heard that there are some annoying quirks with Denon. Can the Denon route all input (component, s-video) to the HDMI out. Does the Denon upconvert any source to 720p using HDMI out?

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR705&class=Receiver&p=i

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
I used a Onkyo TX-SR674 using all HDMI connections in this set up here:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/gallery.html
(Picture number 2)

And was very pleased with the results. I have yet to install or listen to the 705 but would have to imagine with a "mixed media" situation (various vintage devices) it would be great! My only issue is customer related in that a Denon I used for a different customer seemed to be more intuitive for that customer to use. In other words, I personally love Onkyo (well actually Integra if money were no object..) and would definitely own one except for the screamin' deal I got on my Pioneer Elite but my customers seem less confused (fewer late night phone calls) by the Denon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
What do you think of the differences as far as which is a better receiver. When I bought my 705 I was discouraged from buying a Denon by the sales staff. According to them the Onkyo was a much better receiver for the money. I was never really confused when it came to the setup on the 705 and I am really not sure what could have made it easier. I would have either been able to apply what I know with what the manual said or I wouldn't. What is so much easier about the Denon?

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Unless it was just dumb luck I would say the sales staff you dealt with did a good job. If they assessed your abilities to any extent they could pretty easily determine that you would be the type to appreciate a higher end Onkyo but to some folks it is too frustrating.

It's all about the operation of the unit. The Denon has very few front panel controls, is very sleek and elegant and the remote seemed easier to use. I do the set up so to them that is not the issue.

The brand I have had the most trouble with is HK. If someone does not have the mind set nor any inkling to learn how to hook it up, figuring out all of the unique intricacies is not high on the list of things they want to do. Power it up, change volume, and (kicking and screaming all the way) change inputs. That's IT!!!

This has, of course, nothing to do with the audible differences and there again some would rather have a crappy sounding system that was easy to use rather than a great sounding system that they can't even figure out how to turn on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
I guess I see your point. Makes sense or those crappy HTIB's would not be so popular. I guess one thing that Paul would have going for him is that he could refer to this forum for help. I would say that after a couple of small hurdles that the Onkyo is really not all that hard to setup. Especially with the assistance that is available thru this forum. Why settle for less when they have us to help them along :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I ended up going with at Denon 788. It was on sale here (Vancouver) for $500. Like someone mentioned, I like its sleek look as well as it's simple remote control.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
If you would please let us all know how it works out for you we would appreciate it (we are learning here too )!!!

Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
will do...I am just in the process of moving and my things are going to be in storage until I find a new place...once I do and set it up I will be sure to post.
Thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us