Speaker wires to Subwoofer plug

Username: Sirrichard

Post Number: 1
Hi this is my first post here and I am a newbie to this sort of stuff.
I did have a Pioneer home theatre in a box but the DVD in it broke. So I have just bought a Sherwood RD-6502 AV Receiver. I have plugged in all my devices, DVD/VCR, Hard disk recorder and so on and connected my speakers that were with the Pioneer system.
The only problem is the sub woofer. On the Pioneer this just connected like the other speakers with the two speaker wires.The subwoofer is not powered. The subwoofer connection on the Sherwood is an rca? plug connection. The plug says subwoofer pre out so I assume that's where it should go.
All the other speakers seem to be working fine but with very little base.
Can I buy a wire that has two speaker wires on one end and the correct jack on the other end? Will this even work?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Steve

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 132
The short answer is, no you can not. The Pioneer "sub" is passive as in it needs an amplifier and needs to be hooked to a line level or speaker level output. You sub pre out is an output prior to amplification and is used for active subwoofers that have an on board amplifier. The solution is to purchase a good active subwoofer, it will do amazing things to your system!

Username: Sirrichard

Post Number: 2
Thanks for that Jim.
I will start looking for a new SW
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us