Newbie question....... PLEASE HELP ME :-)

Username: Mjnoles1

Post Number: 2
Sorry for such a newbie question but here it goes................ My dvd player only has coaxial digital audio while my cd player only has the optical digital audio so I purchased this..........................http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1228&hp=search ..........To connect my dvd player to my cd audio system. My audio system has Dolby surround Pro Logic with a main left and right speaker, center speaker, left and right surround sound speakers and a sub woofer so I am guessing that means I also have 5.1. The problem is people on the forums I have been looking at does not no for sure if the converter I purchased to connect the two equipments will support the 5.1 dolby surround pro logic sound that my audio system has. The question i have is while watching a dvd for example, how will I know if the converter box is supporting the above surround sound that I mentioned. What will I notice differently from hearing my audio system working correctly with the functions it is capable of and how will i notice if the converter is not supporting the 5.1 dolby surround pro logic sound.

Again thank you for all the help with my embarrassing newbie question lol

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 630
Waht receiver are you using, by the way?

Post Number: 4
Aiwa nsx-mt50

Edcota
Unregistered guest
Nick, I have the same tos-link to coaxial (and vv) converter on my system, my receiver's "DVD IN" was in Coax but all other "IN" connections were optical so to connect my digital cable which only has "Coax OUT" I have to convert it to optical to get the signal into the receiver (Sony STR-DE695). I can assure you that the converter will support any audio signal (dolby digital 5.1, dolby pro-logic, DTS) but to have visual proof your receiver must tell you. Mine has a blue light that lights up when it's receiving a multi-channel signal, or when converting stereo to surround with Dolby Pro-Logic it shows what speakers are producing sound. If your receiver doesn't give you this info, you'll just have to listen for yourself to see what it's producing.

Edcota
Unregistered guest
I have the same tos-link to coaxial (and vv) converter on my system, my receiver's "DVD IN" was in Coax but all other "IN" connections were optical so to connect my digital cable which only has "Coax OUT" I have to convert it to optical to get the signal into the receiver (Sony STR-DE695). I can assure you that the converter will support any audio signal (dolby digital 5.1, dolby pro-logic, DTS) but to have visual proof your receiver must tell you. Mine has a blue light that lights up when it's receiving a multi-channel signal, or when converting stereo to surround with Dolby Pro-Logic it shows what speakers are producing sound. If your receiver doesn't give you this info, you'll just have to listen for yourself to see what it's producing.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 33
I am guessing this:

Your DVD has coax out, fed through the coax/optical converter, then finally to your Aiwa CD audio system w/ProLogic. Regardless of how you connect to your system, your sound will still be enhanced with the ProLogic effect, because all the 'decoding' to ProLogic happens in the Aiwa system, then out to your speakers.
A second opinion would be nice, but I believe that you'll still get ProLogic surround fine.

Post Number: 5
But the problem now is this...... My aiwa audio system only has toslink output and my dvd player only has coaxial output, the radio shack converter has one toslink output and one toslink input and also one coaxial output and one coaxial input with a switch to switch from coaxial to toslink if I plug my aiwa toslink output to the converter output and my dvd players coaxial output to the converter's input will it work?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Nick, I looked a little more closely at the Aiwa manual on their site, and your Aiwa, as you mentioned does have one toslink OUT. Though your DVD only has one dig. coax out, which is then converted through the RadioShack device, there is no digital input in your Aiwa. It's OK, because your Aiwa would be decoding to ProLogic anyway, not a digital form (DD or DTS). If your DVD has stereo rca outs(composite cables, red/white), then you could connect DVD to Aiwa via these rca cables (to the rca inputs on the back of your Aiwa to achieve the ProLogic effect while watching movies).

Silver Member

Post Number: 638
Nick,
Since your Aiwa does not accept digital inputs, you are going to have to stick to the stereo analog outputs of your DVD player.
The Pro Logic is going to have to "simulate" the surround sound.

Post Number: 7
If there is no way to get the digital sound, then really how bad is the pro logic going to be with sound? What will the pro logic function actually do, if you can explain to me in a way a newbie like me could understand :-) thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 645
it is not going to be that bad, I mean all it would be doing is separating the stereo again into the rear speakers. That's as simple as I can make it, probably over simplified.

Post Number: 8
What if I purchase this? http://www.dynadirect.com/dv-rxdv3sl.html?AID=10273987&PID=1456964 It has bascially all the digital features including digital optical input and as you know my stero has a digital optical output. If I use this just for playing dvd's will I beable to connect this to my stero system and play dvd's with 5.1 dolby digital surround sound through my speakers that is connected to my aiwa system? Or since the dvd a/v receiver is the one with the input I would have to connect speakers to that for it to work? Please give me good news that I would beable to connect this to my aiwa system and play the dvd's with 5.1 dolby digital surround sound through the speakers that is already connected to my aiwa system :-)

Thanks again and again for the help

Silver Member

Post Number: 652
actually if you get this system, you won't need your Aiwa. You'd probably want to get new speakers, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Yes, like Berny says: this JVC would replace your Aiwa (CD and FM/AM) and your old dvd player for all your A/V needs. You'd simply connect your existing speakers to the JVC, but, like Berny suggests, they will not do your new receiver justice, research some good quality speakers and replace your old Aiwa speakers eventually.

However, it appears that your rear speakers connect to the back of your Aiwa with an rca plug (?), not just speaker wire, right? If that's the case, and you're sure you don't want to connect them to the Aiwa anymore, just clip them off so that you can connect the speaker wire to the speaker inputs on your new JVC. Otherwise, get new speakers soon!

Oh, and check this price out:
http://www.handrdeals.com/30095.html

(just a thought that there are better prices out there!)

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the help everyone but does that system I listed have 5.1 digital audio? I see it has all the digital audio options BUT I do not actually see it say "5.1"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Yes, my friend. If any unit says Dolby Digital and/or DTS, this is the sign of signs that tells you that the equipment decodes these formats into 5.1 surround sound. Also, the back of the JVC has speaker connections for center, FR, FL, rearR, and rearL and an rca (I think)cable output for sub...5.1 is in the house.

Post Number: 10
Thanks again "Jacob" and "Berny" you two have been great help and I know you guys are starting to hate me for all these questions but again I am a big time newbie in this home audio thing. I hope you don't hate me to much if I ask you two more questions and I will try to make it my last two questions. First, what is the difference between dolby surround pro logic and 5.1 dolby digital and DTS? Is it all the same concept with the dolby surround pro logic and the dolby digital 5.1 and DTS but with the pro logic I will only get stero surround sound while the two digital audios will give me digital surround sound, Is that the main difference or am I missing something? And lastly (I hope lol) I know this is stupid but if I do want to still keep my aiwa as my unit for everything else except for playing dvd's am I able to connect the jvc dvd receiver to the aiwa system and play the dvds with 5.1 digital audio from the jvc receiver to the aiwa audio system with the aiwa speakers that are connect to my aiwa audio system or since the jvc is the one with input the only way to do this is to have the speakers connected to the JVC (which I hope not).

Thank you again and again sorry for all the stupid newbie questions

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Nick, it's all good! The more you know (or learn), the more fun it is to play with all this stuff! I am by no means a seasoned electronics guru, but I enjoy researching and learning about all things to do with this forum as much as possible, as well as being able to try and help others with experiences I've encountered thus far.

Anyway, as Berny mentioned earlier, ProLogic is a process of carrying the stereo effects of audio to the rear channels. From what I've heard at home when listening to TV programs or CD audio, it's pretty close to the real thing. Depending on how the music is mastered in the studio, vocals will usually be centered, rhythm section and all other accompaniment will be on the front left and right channels. Now I'm not sure which is true, but I hear either the front left and right being doubled in the back, or the music/sound in the farthest edges of the stereo spectrum (left and right) are carried by the rear left and right channels.

I think ProLogic should be considered somewhat digital; standard CD audio is digital, so what you're hearing has been digitally reproduced. Not bad, eh? I'm trying, here.

Now I'm not sure exactly how DD and DTS work, but I figure that these types of encoding on DVDs and SACDs, and "the other one" (I forget SACD's competitor) carry separate information in each audio channel. A receiver that has the DolbyDigital and/or DTS logo can decode these formats to carry each channel's sound/music to the appropriate speaker.

I thought you might ask about keeping the Aiwa. Dammit Beavis! Just kidding. Since your Aiwa has an optical audio out, you could connect to your JVC via an optical cable(toslink) to hear FM/AM and CDs, if you prefer. There is no DolbyDigital or DTS benefit in this, though. Your DVD player, of course, would be connected directly to the JVC by digital coax or optical cable, but never mind. This JVC you're looking at has DVD built in, right? You've got an extra DVD player for the home now.

Remember that if you plan to keep your Aiwa connected to the JVC, the old Aiwa speakers (unless you get new ones) need to be connected through the JVC, primarily for DVDs with DolbyDigital or DTS or even to hear SACDs, all played on the JVC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 656
Nick,
Check out some of these articles. Makes some good reading for the newcomer, and clarifies some of the confusion. Side effect---you just want more., so be careful, hah!
These forums are here for a reason...to help out and give advice and ask advice. Without which, the forums lose their purpose, don't you think?:-)

http://liquidtheater.com/editorials/50

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/feature-prologic-iix-3-2004.html

http://money.howstuffworks.com/home-theater5.htm

cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks a lot guys excellent reading material Berny. Now if I am watching a dvd and it is dolby digital, is the pro logic function still compatible to the newer dvd's with dolby digital? Will I still beable to listen to my Aiwa with the surround sound like it was intended when pro logic first came out or is it if I am watching a dvd that is dolby digital I will not beable to use the pro logic function?

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
yes, they are backwards compatible, but I haven't really seen DVDs encoded in pro-logic. Pro-logic is more for VHS to get that surround effect. If you want to listen to pro-logic as opposed to Dolby Digital or DTS (i think a better surround format) you can set your receiver to put out pro-logic. It is much better, however, to set your receiver to automatic detection so the settings are done for you.

robbie
Unregistered guest
i have a awiwa conponent stereo the model is
nsx ds50 nsx ds55 how do i hook up my rca wires
to my tv and to my stereo for surround sounds
itried to hook up the cables and i was able to hear some noise fuzzy noise but the sound just didnt function comming from the tv to the stereo i dont understand why my other questio is when hooking up surround sounds what should your television be function on is it a regular tv channel or must the tv be on aux if so for aux how do you be able to see the channels if it is on that function(aux) my brand tv is a broksonic the year is a 2001 model #ctgv5463tct
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us