VOLUME CONTROL "LCD" READUOT

BOCA
Unregistered guest
Does anybody know why volume LCD control scale on most of AV Receivers goes from some minus number
over "0" and than goes into plus number and up.
So what exactly ZERO threshold means.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Nothing, it is relative only to the level the manufacturer has chosen to make "0". It is normally chosen as the point where the amp will clip on transients if it is being fed a given voltage over a stated impedance. For all intents and purposes it means if you continue to blow up the amp or your speakers someone will ask, "Did you have it up over 0?". When you say yes, your warranty is null and void. (It would be anyway after the second blow out, companies figure you should learn a lesson the first time.)

BOCA
Unregistered guest
Are you suggesting that we should stay in a range before crossing the "0" as to be on a safe side. Or how bad for amp. is if we go over "0"

Thanks

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Output is relative to input. If your reciever is meant to achieve full rated power with 2 volts input (you can find this in the ownwer's manual, go get it , I'll wait)

the device you are using has to be capable of producing 2 volts output (go back and get that manual, too).

If it cannot do that the reciever will never make its full rated power, no matter where the LCD is set. If, on the other hand, the unit can produce 3 volts output (you know what to do now, don't you?)

your amp will be driven to full power before 0 dB is shown on your reciever's LCD. So 0 dB is relative to the input level of your sources and that is likely to vary from unit to unit among your sources. There is no real agreed upon output voltage for home audio components. (Look in the books, I'm not lying.)

What I am suggesting is you learn to recognize what a clipping, distorted amplifier sounds like. As a clue, the amplifier will reach a point where the volume no longer gets LOUDER as the numbers on the LCD go up. (Don't try this at home.) It will get compressed and a hard distorted sound will come into the output if you continue to increase the volume control. If you do not LOWER the volume immediately you will be replacing the tweeters in your speakers and possibly the output transistors, and associated parts, in your reciever. This is clipping and it is not healthy for small children and other living things.
Try this:
Go over to a friend's house and tell him you want to show him what you have learned here. Bring lots of alchohol and make sure he has inbibed luxuriantly before you show him how to blow up his system. You will both have learned a valuable lesson and you will have experienced severe amplifier clipping with the only cost to you being the alchohol.
Bottom line: Don't clip YOUR amplifier.

BOCA
Unregistered guest
OK, seems this is well put and educational.
I have DENON AV-1804, which has all clipping protections and other things against speaker blow up. Also my speakers are with cut-off circuit too

Thanks to all of you

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Don't trust the equipment to take care of the situation. Turn it down when it clips.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us