No sound through Onkyo surround system.

Username: Steven66

Bartlett, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46w3000 LCD TV.
I have Onkyko HT-SR800B HTIB.
Comcast cable with Motorola HD box DCT3416.
I have HDMI cable running from cable box to Onkyo receiver. I have HDMI cable running from receiver to TV, I get tv picture and sound out of the tv speakers but nothing out of surround system.
I also have optical cable running from cable box into the receiver. The HD box puts out digital through the opt port. I see the red light. I also programed the receiver to the OPT 1 input. I changes tv stations and I can't get any sound from the surround system??? The AM/FM works on the receiver so I know the speakers are correct.
What am I missing?? I have not even played with the DVD yet, its not hooked to anything. Please assist. THANKS

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 40
On your Onkyo receiver:

Assigning the HDMI Input
If you connect a video component to an HDMI input,
you must assign that HDMI Input to an input selector in Setup.
If you make the same connections as shown here, you must
assign the "HDMI DVD" setting to "IN1", and assign the
"HDMI CBL" setting to "IN2".
If you have an HDMI-compatible TV and players, you can connect them
to the AV receiver with HDMI cables. The audio and video signals received
via the HDMI inputs are output by the HDMI OUT as they are (pass-through).
To listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, please make
the audio connections shown below.
To fully enjoy the AV receiver's
listening modes, turn off the
volume on your TV.

From the Onkyo website

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 112
You may need to use a digital output from the cable box to the digital input on the receiver (optical or digital coax (orange).) You will know based on whether going thru the hdmi gives you dolby or dts 5.1 decoding. To determine if it does cycle thru the listening modes to see if one of the listening modes indicates this, if not then use digital out from the cable box to digital in on the receiver. Remember that the digital sound is in two forms optical and digital coax (the orange connector.) I have a Motorola HD box from comcast and I have to do this. To know for sure you will need to be on a channel that is delivering dolby or dts 5.1 signal usually hd channels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Also, you will need to select the digital input button on the front of the receiver for the cable/sat box input. Put the input on cable/sat box on the front of the receiver and then hit the digital input button until you have selected the one you plugged the box into on the back of the receiver. It will be optical 1, optical 2, coax 1, or coax 2 -whichever one you plugged it into.

Username: Steven66

Bartlett, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jeff and Jim I'm still a little confused.
I did install optical cable from the HD cable box to the receiver and programmed the input on the receiver. I didn't get any sound.

Last night I hooked up cheap red/white RCA cables from cable box to receiver and got surround sound FINALLY. Still not sure why I didn't get sound with the optical cable and HDMI cables hooked up??
I call Comcast and they said if I see the red light on the opty cable and program the receiver I should have sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
If it isn't too difficult hook an HDMI cable directly from your cable box to your TV. If you get picture and sound then the problem resides with the ONKYO. Let me know what happens.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
If you did what I said then then maybe you have to enable the digital out on the cable box in the cable box setup? -ask comcast. -not sure but you should get sound. Would have to actually be there. Just make sure you did everything I said and make sure you are on a digital input on the receiver not an output on the receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Also, you don't want to go with red/white which is analog. You are really going to be cutting yourself short that way. That is a really old technology from the advent of stereo which as you know is before my time and I aint no spring chicken :-) Just using analog will not make use of the investment you have made in your receiver -would kinda be a waste of money... If you get a couple of minutes describe to me verbatim and step by step what you did maybe then I can tell you what you did not do correctly if anything...

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2162
­
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind my little 2¢ here. :-)

I don't think we should automatically assume the optical output on the cable box is OK. Just because Steve sees the red light doesn't mean that there's actually a signal coming out of it. I don't care what Comcast says. Optical outputs always show red light whether there's a signal or not.

It may be possible that there's some sort of setup activation for the optical out on the cable box, but I think that's most likely not the case. Steve should try his DVD player's optical output on the same receiver input he has been trying to use with the cable box. See if he gets audio from that. Since the receiver in this system doesn't have any digital audio outputs, he can't be making any hookup error in that respect.

As a last resort, I would try the orange coax output on the cable box into the receiver. For testing purposes, any RCA phono patch cord will work. That output on the cable box is just above the optical out.

Upload
­
Steve, Jeff is absolutely correct about the red/white outputs on the cable box. You cannot get the Dolby Digital bitstream you want from that output. I know you're getting audio from it, but this shouldn't the long term solution to this problem.
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
There is a setting for audio output on my motorola comcast box. It is not defined as enabling digital out though. For some reason you have to enable stereo output in the audio setup using the box's osd or you will not get sound. I can tell you what the specific name of the setting is when I get home tonight.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
John, the reason I am telling him to use the digital oudio is because I don't think that box will process 5.1 thru HDMI to the receiver. Any thoughts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Personally I have never had any trouble with HDMI carrying 5.1 from a Comcast box. The only reason I have ever used the optical or digital out is to go to the TV so that the AVR does not have to be turned on. The suggestion to connect the cable box to the TV directly with an HDMI cable should tell us if there is audio. The problem now, however, seems to be that we have lost Steve!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
I don't know, mine doesn't. I guess he could try hdmi for 5.1. Jim, he will need to know how to confirm this. Apparently he is not well versed in multicahnnel output or he would not be trying to use red/white rca connections.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
OK, I wasn't going to mention it so as not to scare anyone but I have heard that the Motorola box HDMI is very fragile but then you should be able to swap the box with Comcast.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Jim, Steve is going to need to know how to confirm that HDMI is processing 5.1 He does not apear to be well versed in multichannel output or he would not be using stereo (red/white) Maybe this would solve his problem -if hdmi is doing it then he can abandon the digital output setup....

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2164
­
"John, the reason I am telling him to use the digital oudio is because I don't think that box will process 5.1 thru HDMI to the receiver. Any thoughts?"

It wouldn't be much of a cable box if it did not send Dolby Digital (either 2.0 or 5.1) out on its HDMI with the video. But the point is that Steve's receiver has pass-through HDMI and doesn't process the signal at all. In fact, the only reason to run HDMI to the receiver is for switching convenience. So if he has only one HDMI piece in his system, it's a waste of an extra HDMI cable to hook the cable box's output to the receiver.

"The suggestion to connect the cable box to the TV directly with an HDMI cable should tell us if there is audio."

In his OP, Steve has already stated he's getting audio on the TV via HDMI. So the Onkyo is properly passing the HDMI video and audio signal on to the TV intact.

"The problem now, however, seems to be that we have lost Steve!"

Maybe, but we're having fun woodshedding somebody else's problem, right?...Upload
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
John, that is not true on my onkyo, in fact on mine to get High def sound such as dolby truehd or dts hd from blu-ray I have to use the hdmi switching. The signal is processed thru hdmi and digital audio will not do this.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2167
­
I'm sure that's true Jeff. Onkyo models are not the same, however. This is what Onkyo says about Steve's receiver:

HDMI Pass Through (2in/1out , 1080P compatible) -- A separate audio connection is necessary

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-SR800&class=Systems&p=i
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
I can tell you for sure that it is true. My manual is very specific about this. HD sound is processed via HDMI from blu-ray. There is no question about it. Steve's may not but I am certain that mine does. I have a TX-SR705. I will look at Steve's manual but if he is getting HD sound from blu-ray my first impression is that his works this way also. I do not get 5.1 thru hdmi from my motorola cable box but this is not a fault of the receiver it is because of the cable box. I use optical and this is the reason I was suggesting this for Steve.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
You are right about Steve's receiver. His audio has to be opt or coax. Thanks for answering my question. Looks like Steve, if he ever checks in again :-), is back to square one and will need to use optical or coax regardless. If you come back Steve we need to know exactly what you did with the optical setup or we can't help. Explain everything you did in detail.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2168
­
I still think the problem is the STB. The Motorola DVRs Comcast uses are buggy pieces of junk. Complaints all over the web about them.

Username: Cilus

Post Number: 1
Hi there, I'm a newby at this so here goes: I have a Sony bravia surround sound system (DVD and receiver are one unit), a comcast cable box and a Phillips PFL5332D HDTV.

My problem is I only have sound from the sony bravia system when playing dvd's.

I have a HDMI cable going from the cable box to the television and a HDMI cable from the sony surround sound system to the Philips television.

I've tried so many things, I'm now confused....can anyone help me on this using layman's terms please.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
You do not have sound from the cable box connected to the surround system at all. That is why there is no sound. You will need to obtain either an optical or digital coax cable and connect the one you choose from the cable box to the surround system. Once you have done this you will need to put the surround system on the input that is decribed on the back of the sourround system where you plugged the cable box into. Then you will hear sound.

Post Number: 2
Hi jeff, I have a digital audio cable, is that what you are talking about? It's a single cable and I don't have anything that takes a "single" cable on either unit?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
If its a surround system it has to be there. The connector is orange. It will say digital out and digital in. If you are certain that the cable box does not have this then you will have to use red and white. Is it a DVR comcast box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
The cable box and your Sony should each have an orange RCA connector in the back. Connect them with your cable then follow Jeff's advice about the input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
The connection may also be called SPDIF

Post Number: 3
I found the orange SPDIF on the cable box, but I'm telling you guys there is not one on the sony surround sound system, it is the Bravia system that has the receiver and dvd player as one unit and it does not have anything that says digital in digital out. This is a link to my sony user guide: http://www.retrevo.com/s/Sony+DAV-HDX267W?rt=pd

I appreciate your help on this. thank you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Cilus, you got jipped. If you can still return it I would. The only 5.1 output you will get will get will be the dvd player. You can connect the cable box but you will have to use the red and white. On the surround system it will be called audio in TV/Video Right and Left. There will be an output on the cable box that looks the same.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Jeff, I have boxed the system back up and I'm taking your advice and returning it to the store...thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Cilus, If you are still around, judging from your decision to purchase this Sony you are probably going to need some advice on what system to purchase if you are still planning to do so. What is you budget.

Post Number: 5
Hi Jeff, I appreciate the offer, I wanted to stay around 500.00. I have a toshiba DR-400, a Philips HDTV that are new. I was looking at Onkyo TX-SX605 (amazon $397.00) with Polk Audio RM6750 (Amazon 249.00+S&H). This is a little more than I wanted to spend......what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2169
­
Cilus, there are many choices out there, but I will say that the Onkyo/Polk combo will blow the doors off that lousy Sony HTiB. In the long run, this set is worth every extra penny. Don't scrimp on the audio -- it's just as important as the video. After all, $650 is still less than you spent on the TV.

Furthermore, that Onkyo is good enough to use with more expensive/bigger speaker sets, should you want to upgrade the speakers in the future.
­

Post Number: 6
John and Jeff, I only purchased the sony set because of the wireless rear speakers as I didn't want to mess with speaker wire across the living room.....

What other options do you guys recommend besides the onkyo/polka I'm looking at?

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
I am assuming that you meant Onkyo TX-SR605? If so, this is an excellent choice. The only thing you need to consider is that the 605 has 2 HDMI inputs and the Onkyo TX-SR705 has 3 hdmi inputs and is THX certified but the 605 is still a great unit. As John indicated this choice is a world away from what you had. The 605 can also decode HD sound (dolby truehd and dts hd.) I honestly could not have made a better suggestion than this. Way to go! You could reduce your costs by getting an Onkyo Home theater in a box but I think the way that you are going is much better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
In addition to my previous post. I own an Onkyo TX-SR705 so I am advising you to do what I have decided on for myself. I guess my opinion on this is somewhat biased :-) The 605 is in the same ball park as mine but is less expensive. Note: the 605 and 705 are 7.1 systems and to get the full effect require 4 sattelites (surround right and left and rear right and left), 2 for the front right and left, one center, and one subwoofer (powered). This makes a total of 7 speakers and one subwoofer unlike previous 5.1 systems that would have required 5 speakers and one subwoofer.

Post Number: 7
I was just looked at the home theater in a box for Onkyo, Onkyo HT-SR800, wasn't sure if this would be the way to go.

Post Number: 8
Onkyo HT-S990THX?

Post Number: 9
Onkyo HT-S990THX I think this is a little outside my budget though.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Its up to you. Again this is much better than what you had. The advantage to the home theater in a box is that it comes with everything you need for a lower price. Personally if I could afford the TX-SR605 I would go with that instead. The HT-SR800 is not future proof so it would need to be replaced at some point so you will be saving money now but have to spend more later. Its kind of like buying a non integrated pc so that you can upgrade as needed without having to replace the entire unit. The point is that going with the 605 will save you money in the long run and you will be able to upgrade the speakers in the future as John indicated. Also the reason you are saving money on the SR800 is because you are getting less. The SR800 receiver does not decode HD sound (dolby truehd and dts hd) which will be a consideration when you go to blu-ray. The speakers in the SR800 are not going to be that great and the reciver is junk compared to the 605 but again it is still much better than the Sony you had. The 90 watt rating on the 605 is true 90 watt and you will not get this with the SR800. Don't forget all of these units are 7.1 and require 7 speaker and a sub unlike 5.1 that require 5 speakers and a sub.

Post Number: 10
Thanks Jeff I will order the TX-SR605, and polka speakers...I will let you know once received and set up. Can't thank you enough for your help......thanks so much for babysitting me. ....have a good one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Cilus, make sure you are purchasing the correct number of speakers. This is not a 5.1 system it is 7.1 !!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I just realized what you said about the speakers, what set do you recommend that are within my budget and 7.1? Are Onkyo speakers any good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
You could just order the ones you have in mind and also order a pair of extra surrounds of the same type. What exactly are you willing to spend on the receiver and speakers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I would like to stay within 300.00 on the speakers. I found Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System for 289.00 with S&H at J&R

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
Those onkyos look fine to me for the price. I guess if cost is the consideration then that would not be a bad way to go. You can always upgrade in the future when you have the cash. Go for it. I would not tell you to go with the 605 and the SKS-HT540's if I was not sure that you will be happy with the purchase. I think you will thoroughly enjoy this setup! I am glad you checked in -who sold you that Sony? Be careful about buying from them in the future. Also it would not be a bad idea to check in here in the future before deciding on a purchase like this. I could have saved you some trouble. Let me know if you need any help once you get everything!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I bought the sony on amazon. So I have to ship it back tomorrow. Yes, It wasn't until I started to have problems trying to get sound that I found you on this site, will come back in the future for advice from you.....thanks so much Jeff. I will let you know about the purchase.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Hope to hear from you soon. It looks like where ever you are buying from you are getting good prices so I have no advice for you there. Enjoy!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2170
­
Jeff, I think Cilus is going to be better off for now with a 5.1 system. Let's not forget why he bought the Sony HTiB in the first place. The allure of not having to wire the surround speakers from the other side of the room is very great. Therefore

1. I think most people are doing very good wiring and placing two surround speakers reasonably well. We're not talking a dedicated HT room here; this is a multi purpose room where other priorities exist. Wiring and placing four surrounds properly in the average living room by average people is highly unlikely. Besides it's overkill for average sized rooms, imo.

2. Given a limited budget I think it far preferable to get a better 5.1 speaker system rather than spend the same amount of money on an average 7.1 speaker systems found in HTiBs.

3. The number of DVDs with Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES (matrix/discrete) is limited. The majority of the time with ordinary DVDs the back surrounds in a 7.1 system are getting some sort of quasi ambient audio that adds little to the movie's main soundtrack, again imo.

4. Do you think the average person has the desire, equipment and the ears to appreciate lossless audio? I think it's a good thing high res audio is available on the blue laser formats. I plan to take advantage of it soon myself. But I really do think codecs like Dolby Digital TrueHD will only be on the fringe of the general public's consciousness, much like SACD and DVD-A are now. So I personally think Cilus may be overspending on a 1.3 receiver -- I mean, hell he may never buy a Blu-ray player. And even if he does, he would be still be able to hear the uncompressed LPCM track on most BD discs on an HDMI receiver with 1.1 or 1.2 hardware. (And while we're on the subject, the "uncompressed LPCM" option you see on BD is the real deal -- it don't get any better. This is the original lossless soundtrack. The only reason Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA have any advantage is they are compressed codecs and therefore take up less room on the disc. However, you don't need an HDMI 1.3 receiver to hear LPCM.)

But even if Cilus buys the Onk 605 (which I think is a fine product as I said before) it doesn't mean he absolutely has to use it in 7.1 mode. It will happily handle 5.1 just fine.
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
I know all of that and I totally disagree. Lets not forget that Cilus is fully aware of the wiring requirements and has expressed no concerns there. Lets not also forget that these wiring concerns are there for anyone doing this and if this was the only consideration then 7.1's would not sell at all. You are making a lot of huge assumptions about what cilus is willing to do to make this work based on one simple statement. First of all you are addressing the wrong person. I obviously do not think that what you are saying is relevant. I am not the one that is facing the wiring issues Cilus is. It seems to me that you have taken an oppurtunity to disagree with me just for the sake of disagreeing and being critical of my advice and frankly I do not like the fact that you are. You are not making sense for one thing. If everyone had the same aproach to new technologies that you are expressing here there would be no new technologies. It could also be argued that the difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby pro-logic II is negligible but have you invested in this? If I choose to advise cilus to make the best investment in a changing technology and try to make the best use of that technology I will and I would apreciate it if you would allow me that courtesy. In the future please do not address me when you have questions or concerns for the person making these decisions -address them. Cilus, if you read any of this I stand by my recommendations. You will not regret your decision. THANK YOU!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
forgot to mention.. The more I think about your post the more offended I feel. Why are you assuming that I do not know the things you have said. I am fully aware of all of the things you have said and apparently Cilus is also aware of what I told him and is happy with what I have recommended. This is bull!! Do you want me to start following you around in the forums and make empty statements about what you have to say -I can do that!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
Furthermore, Blu-Ray will eventually dominate the market the same way that dvd has. My question for you is why don't you know this. Do you really think that millions of people are going to invest thousands of dollars in high def televisions and not make use of it with high defintion media. Hello???

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
Also, He is getting the 605. As for the speakers he only has $300.00. You know as well as I do that he is not going to do any better on speakers than what he decided. He is getting a powered sub and 7 speakers for $300.00. He does not have to use the rears. Do you really believe that he is going to do so much better for 300 bucks if he just gets 5.1?? At least the way he is doing it he has a couple of surrounds if he decides to setup the unit the way the manufacturer created it to work. Gee I wonder why he would want to do that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Cilus, there are many choices out there, but I will say that the Onkyo/Polk combo will blow the doors off that lousy Sony HTiB. In the long run, this set is worth every extra penny. Don't scrimp on the audio -- it's just as important as the video. After all, $650 is still less than you spent on the TV.

Furthermore, that Onkyo is good enough to use with more expensive/bigger speaker sets, should you want to upgrade the speakers in the future.

John, just judging fom this statement that you made previously makes it painfully obvious that you are just giving me a hard time for no reason!!! Whats your problem? He is getting the onkyo tx-sr605 and is getting the best speakers he can for his budget! He can always upgrade in the future as you have said.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2171
­
Frankly, I was shocked at your reaction to my post. I assure you it was written in good faith and with the best of intentions. I addressed it to you mainly because Cilus had already gone on his merry way. It was meant as an alternative opinion, and as maybe a possible starting point of discussion between you, me and anybody else who cared to comment. I don't think anybody who reads it would consider it malicious or disrespectful towards you. It certainly wasn't meant that way.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2172
­
Jeff, as time permits, I would like to comment on some points you've made.

"Furthermore, Blu-Ray will eventually dominate the market the same way that dvd has. My question for you is why don't you know this. Do you really think that millions of people are going to invest thousands of dollars in high def televisions and not make use of it with high defintion media. Hello???"

I hadn't done any research on this in over a year, so I decided to see how HDTV market penetration is coming along. I knew that both Nielsen and CEA had released some figures last year. The most recent comes from Magid Associates, who has been studying the HD market for nine years. Their report, made public in December, indicated that only 20% of American households have an HDTV. And only 14% of American households are actually watching any HD content. Kind of surprising to me really. I would have guessed those figures to be higher. So, at this relatively late date, only 14% of American households are bothering to secure HD content, broadcast or otherwise. Moreover, only 24% of American households are even thinking about buying an HDTV for the first time in the next 12 months. Obviously, HDTV market penetration is going kind of slowly, in my opinion.

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/cap_persists_between_number_hdtv_owners/ind ex1.html

All this said, where does any high def movie disc delivery system fit in? Personally, I think Blu-ray has only survived its first skirmish for survival. The real battle for the hearts and minds of the general public is to replace DVD. Given what I see as the public's general apathy towards superior video, BD has a long uphill struggle.

The other night I was watching a DVD being upscaled to 720p. I thought jeez this picture isn't so bad. Not HD of course, but really quite good. I just can't believe that Joe and Judy six-pack care enough to go out and spend money on a new relatively expensive player and then spend more extra bucks on buying or renting discs -- and that's assuming they own a worthy TV.

So yes, it's going to be a while until Blu-ray enjoys any sort of universal acceptance, if ever. Meanwhile, on-line video on demand is looming. See Apple TV. (I have no idea how that business plan will work out.) Then there's solid state memory. Two months ago at the CES show, there were prototypes of jump drives with 832 GB capacity. With that kind of memory, you could have 400 full length HD movies hanging off your key chain. Obviously Blu-ray had better hurry up before something better comes along. It's far from being a "slam-dunk" format, even if prices come down. All this is the reason why I suggested that Cilus might not ever have BD. Maybe he will, but when the smoke clears I'll bet there will be tons of HD households without BD players in them.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/434615.html
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2173
­
Sorry, the proper link on that Broadcast Engineering article should be

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/cap_persists_between_number_hdtv_owners/ind ex.html

If you get an annoying pop-up, click on the upper right hand corner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Sorry John, but I did find your aproach to this offensive. You made some pretty big assumptions about my awareness of what you spoke of. I did not find it malicious just rude mostly. You more or less shot down everything I discussed with cilus and had you been paying attention to the posts you may have noticed that most of what I actually said to Cilus were just affirmations of decisions he had already made for himself. I merely agreed that they were good decisions. This would seem to disqualify your baseless statements about wiring, etc. and again and I quote:

This also disqualifies your statements concerning his final decision to purchase a 605. I really do not know what your intent was but my impression remains that I find it offenseive. His decision on the speakers I thought for his budget was a very good one and again I merely stated to him that I agreed that for his budget it was a very good choice.

I did not by any means interpret that as an opening for intelligent conversation. Maybe you should reconsider your opinion on this by actually considering what you said and how you said it.

His decisions did not become bad ones in your sight until I had completed my conversation with him. Again I have no idea what your intent was but lets not pretend that it had anything to do with prompting an intelligent discussion and if in your eyes it was then maybe you need to reconsider your aproach as starting a conversation with a series of jugemental statements is not the way to do it!

If this was not meant to be ctrical I am having a hard time seeing it. Please enlighten me...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hi Jeff, I received the equipment yesterday and plan on setting it up today. The wiring is not an issue I will run it through the walls or under the carpet. I haven't decided just yet, my brohter in law is going to do that for me.
I'm very happy with your advice and I'm glad I purchased a 7.1, my home has an open floor plan I think this will give me better sound due to the openness of my home. So, I will let you know how the set up goes....naturally if I run into problems I will back on here begging for help!!! I'm going to get it set up and make sure everything is good to go before he does the wring for me.
By the way, "Cilus" is the name of my dog, my name is Jackie, I should have mentioned this when I was speaking with you...I apologize for not introducing myself to you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Good News! I own the same set of speakers that you have purchased. They are the speakers I use now. Mine are older but I can tell you for $300 you would be hard pressed to do any better. They sound great and have a solid construction. I may upgrade someday but for now I am very happy with the way they sound. As I said previuosly I own and use the Onkyo TX-SR705 which is very simiar to your Onkyo TX-SR605 just one model up with some slight differences so I will be able to answer any setup questions you have. You would also be hard pressed to find a better receiver for $400! Onkyo has always been known for providing a superior product for less money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hi Jeff, well everything is set up and it's perfect thanks, sound is great, I need to do a little tweaking but other than that I'm happy with the purchase. I need to get the remote set up so I don't have so many to play with and reduce the clutter of remotes.
I think I'm going to reposition the rear speakers so they aren't so close to the back of the sofa as it's rather loud in comparison to the center and front speakers. Other than that it's a great system!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Glad to hear it!! How did you end up setting it up? Are you using the HDMI switching, digital coax (for sound), or digital optical (for sound)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Jeff, I have HDMI from the cable box to the TV, HDMI from the TV and DVD to the Receiver with a coax digital from the receiver to the cable box. This was the only way I could get sound and a picture. I tried to hook the hdmi from the cable box, tv and dvd into the receiver (per onkyo instructions) and could get sound but no picture. The wires to the rear speakers aren't run yet....still waiting for the help on that, but it sounds good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
You can go either way for now as far as going thru the receiver using HDMI switching or going directly from the source (cable/DVD) to the TV and using the receiver for sound. When and If you go with Blu-ray (and I do hold my position that this will be the primary way that high definition media is sold) you will want to use the hdmi switching at least for the blu-ray so you can decode high definition sound formats. The other advantage to using the receivers HDMI switching is convienience as you will only have to use one input on the TV and then select the input device on the receiver. What this does reduce the number of inputs you have to select to get sound and picture because this way you can keep the input on the TV on one input that does not need to be changed on the TV so the only input you have to select will be on the receiver which you will have to do anyway but the end result is the same which is sound from the receiver and picture on the TV. There is another advantage to using the receiver's HDMI switching which is it will upconvert any source to HDMI. What this means for example is that you can connect a source using component input to the receiver (the red, green, and blue ones)and that input will be upconverted as hdmi to the TV. The other way would be to go directly from the source to the TV and connect sound using digital audio out to digital audio in on the receiver (remember digital audio will be digital coax or optical (tosslink.) Let me know what you think about whether to use the receiver's HDMI switching (meaning going from the source (Cable or DVD) to the receiver and then one going from the receiver to the TV based on this criteria and I will tell you the best way to do what you have decided.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hi Jeff, I would be interested in using the HMI switching....I'm not sure how to do this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
o First please refer to page 47 and 48 of your manual for Onkyo's version of the following. Assuming that both the cable box and DVD player are HDMI and that these devices are all you are going to connect here is how to set it up. (please let me know if this is correct -are they both hdmi and are they all you are connecting right now) Please Note that there are 2 possibilties for the way you will see the menus I am refering to. You will always see the menu on the receiver display and may or may not see it on the TV screen. Important, if you do not see it on TV yet then follow these instructions using the menu on the receiver display.

o First turn off the receiver and unplug the power.

o Connect an hdmi cable to the receivers hdmi out on the receiver to the hdmi in on the TV. (it will say hdmi out on the reciver)

o Now connect the DVD using hdmi cable to the hdmi out from the DVD to the receivers HDMI IN 1 (it will say hdmi IN 1 on the back of reciever.)

o Now connect the cable box using an hdmi cable using the hdmi out on the cable box to the receivers hdmi IN 2 (it will also be labeled this one is labeled IN 2.)

o Plug the reciver back in, turn it on then turn on the TV selecting the hdmi input on the TV that you connected the receiver hdmi out to.

o Now you are ready to set the input and output.

o Hit the setup button on the remote. The first option you are looking for is called 1. Input/Output Assign -locate this in the main menu of setup and hit enter on the remote.

o This will take you to a submenu with some options, the ones you are concerned with are "Monitor Out" and "HDMI Input."

o Select Monitor Out using the up and down arrow keys on the remote until the option is highlighted. Hit enter on remote and then you will see that you are able to set this to Yes or No. Set it to YES by hitting the right arrow on remote. You start seeing the setup menu on screen when doing so. Then hit return on the remote to go back to the previous menu.

o Now select HDMI Input from the Input/Output Assign menu. In this menu first select DVD using the up and down arrow keys on the remote. Once you are there hit the right arrow key until IN 1 is selected. From this same screen hit the up and down arrow keys until the Cable/Sat is selected and hit the right arrow key until IN 2 is selected.

o Keep hitting Return on the remote until you have exited setup...

o Once you have done all this in order to use it you will be able to keep the tv on the one input and use the receiver to select what you want to view -Cable/Sat or DVD by selecting one of these inputs on the receiver.

o The reason this is so involved is to allow you to select what device is connected to what input instead of just setting each to one specific input at the factory.

o Did you do the Audyssey setup with the Microphone?

o If you did all this and stil lhad no picture or setup menu on TV screen then make sure whether there is a specific hdmi input on the TV that you have to use when only connecting one hdmi input to the TV....

o Please let me know when you have done all this and how it went.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
John S, You really have not proven anything concerning BD. As you know ipods, premium movie channels, DVR's, on demand, pay per view have existed for some time now but you must agree that you do not see this fact causing DVD to go out of business. I mean hell, I agree that the technology for being able to watch any movie ever made in whatever format with a touch of a button on your remote will be possible for a fee to anyone in the world but this does not mean anything when it comes to the actual sale of the movie as far as owning your own copy. Being able to watch a movie on demand this way is going to require the fee to be paid each time you watch it. Think of this, did divix or whatever it was called make it? You could purchase these movies very cheaply and then pay for subsequent viewings of the movie for a small fee but did people see the value in this? There is really more to this than simply being able to view movies on demand. People want to own there own copies for different reasons be it sentimental, nostalgic or whatever.. I mean consider this, just because a person goes to the Movie Theater and views a movie does not mean that they are not going to go out and purchase that movie on DVD and in many cases this is the reason they do. By the same token if the person views a movie on demand it does not mean they will not want to own their own copy on BD in fact the reason they actually purchase in BD could be because they saw it on demand.

Let's consider "Copyright Protection." If it were possible to have lets say a BD player that you could load movies you purchased into some amazingly high capacity solid state storage in the device wouldn't it then be possible to go out and rent a movie for $4.50 from a BlockBuster type movie rental facility and then load that movie on to that device. The point I am making is why would they do that because by doing so the manufacturers may as well start selling $35 to $40 movies for $4.50. I do not see a multi million dollar industry going in that direction for very obvious reasons.

As I said I am not saying that there will not be other ways besides BD to enjoy movies. I am saying that your point is not a valid one. What you are saying is apples and oranges and are really two completely different industries that you can already see evidence of. The methods you speak of are not going to put BD out of business they are simply going to be another option for doing it. The movie industry had these same types of fears when VHS came out. They were afraid that being able to view their movies on VHS would put the movie theater industry out of business but did it?

It has not been that long ago that you could walk into a BlockBuster and see a very large collection of VHS and a small selection of DVD that after a short time became all DVD. If your point was a valid one about the ability of the American Public to afford these transitions then please explain to why you think the transition from VHS to DVD was so successful? BD has already dropped by more than %50. Eventually buying a BD player will be as affordable as DVD and the focus of the industry will be to make the money on movie sales/rentals.

Technology is not about the best way to do it, it is about the best way of doing it that is the most profitable. Let's take Ethanol for example, the best way to produce ethanol is using sugar cane but is the United States going to produce it this way? The answer is "no" we will not and the reason why is that the most profitable way for us to do it is using our abundance of corn.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Jackie, I responded to your question about hdmi switching. Its just after your last post.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2174
­
I don't know Jeff, maybe BD will replace DVD completely some day. Meaning that it will be in the same number of homes DVD is today, which I would guess to be somewhere around 85%. I suppose to be an unqualified success the BD's market saturation doesn't have to be in 80+% of American households. What the definition for success actually is anybody's guess, but this much I will say, BD has a long way to go. HDTVs have been on the market for eight years now, and three-quarters of American households still don't have one yet. Even a significant number of people who have HDTV don't get HD on their displays, either due to ignorance or they just don't care. Tell me Jeff, what does that mean for any hi-def movie delivery system, disc or otherwise? Sure, over a significant amount of time the BDA will sell some machines and discs. But it will take a while before BD rises above niche market level. There's been a ton of money gone down the black hole due to overestimating the average American's thirst for 1080 video. Truth is, many don't care squat about it even if it's demonstrated right in front of them. Oh they see the difference alright, it's just not that important to them. They just aren't going to buy Blu-ray unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

But for those who do care about HD video, I will agree with you on any near term alternatives. After giving it some more thought, I'm guessing download HD VOD just isn't ready for prime time, and may never be. Downloading 720p is problematic enough, and 1080p is out of the question in most situations. So you know that the movies AppleTV are offering will be compromised by compression and inferior to BD. AppleTV will die quickly, just like Divx. You brought back some memories with that one. In its defense, Divx was not a "movie ownership" business model, but rather it was supposed to be a rental alternative. This was back in the days when DVD was just getting off the ground and the tape rental business was still booming. You'd pay essentially the same cost of a tape rental, play it over two days and "re-rent" it if you wanted to see it after that, otherwise you trashed it. The movie studios were all over this -- a disc that self destructed. Talk about content control! For a little while, there were major new releases available only on Divx. But there was just one little problem: You needed to buy a rather expensive special player to play these discs. Hmmm, special players, special discs and movie studios....does that sound familiar? At least you didn't have to buy a special TV to watch them on. (Just kidding...:-))

We agree on another thing. I personally am not much of a collector, but I understand that an awful lot of "...people want to own there own copies for different reasons be it sentimental, nostalgic or whatever.." I just don't believe very many of those copies will have the "Blu-ray Disc" logo on them, not in the next 5 years anyway. Also, from what I read, having something tangible in hand isn't such a big problem with the younger set. The music industry is in complete turmoil because CD sales are in the crapper due to downloads. The traditional record industry is frantically trying to re-invent itself in order to survive.

I guess I didn't make my point very well regarding solid state. I wasn't talking about copying a bunch of Blu-ray movies into some black box. I'm saying that increased solid state storage is going to make all laser-based storage media obsolete. I don't care what wavelength the laser or what the disc's capacity is. Solid state drives (SSD) already exist for computers (no moving parts). There are some drawbacks to them, but that should not be a long term problem. When that happens, high quality HD movies could be put on a chip smaller than a credit card. And DRM could be applied to them as easily as other media.

"The methods you speak of are not going to put BD out of business they are simply going to be another option for doing it. The movie industry had these same types of fears when VHS came out. They were afraid that being able to view their movies on VHS would put the movie theater industry out of business but did it?"

No, but that was before the dawn of the digital age. DVD, I believe, has put movie theaters in a bad position. Attendance is down, and the only way they can show any increase is by raising ticket prices very year. The peak year for ticket sales was 2002, and that business has been stagnant since. 2001-2 were the breakout years for DVD player and disc sales. Interesting coincidence is it not?

http://www.dvdinformation.com/News/press/072605.html

"If your point was a valid one about the ability of the American Public to afford these transitions then please explain to why you think the transition from VHS to DVD was so successful? BD has already dropped by more than %50. Eventually buying a BD player will be as affordable as DVD and the focus of the industry will be to make the money on movie sales/rentals."

DVD player sales really took off when the Blockbusters, Hollywoods and others started to carry rental selection of DVDs. At the same time (around 2001, I think) DVD player prices were going down fast to about $200 to $250. In addition, prices of new release DVDs were much lower than the "priced for rental" VHS new releases that had an inflated price to discourage immediate sales. That, along with the fact that the average person actually saw some value in DVD. Everybody was already familiar with the convenience of CDs over vinyl, and DVDs promised the same kind of performance. I believe if CDs hadn't existed before, DVD's adoption would have been much slower.

For some people who took the time to learn and take advantage, DVD offered the potential for better video and audio. The difference between VHS's analog signals and DVD's digital video and audio was definitely a step up. But this difference could only be realized with the use of an above average TV of the day, and with a then current AVR capable of decoding the digital multi-channel signals on those discs. How many people actually took advantage of DVD's potential is the question. I would be willing to bet that the majority of DVD players out there are being used on ordinary TVs with no external audio system in use at all.

Look Jeff, I am definitely not saying BD is going away. For those interested in the hi-def cinematic experience, there just isn't any near-term alternative now that HD DVD is gone. (How quickly things can change sometimes.) I know you see BD's ascendance over DVD as a foregone conclusion. What I am saying is that the general public may not see the value in BD the same way they did with DVD.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hi Jeff, sorry a rather busy weekend. I've printed out your instructions and will follow the instructions this evening. I will let you know how I do, wish me luck...ha. I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me.....have a good day Jeff.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
jeff, I did do the Audyssey setup with the Microphone, I actually did this twice and tweaked the sound a little, it sounds much better to my ear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hi Jeff, I followed all the instructions and everything is good!! Thank you.
I couldn't get the remote to accept any codes for my Toshiba. I tried all the codes and not one is compatible. I have a Toshiba DR400 DVD Video Recorder so I will have to do a little searching for a code on that piece. Onkyo doesn't have it listed in their codes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Ok, there are just a couple more things I can really help you with then other than maybe giving some insight on speaker placement. The next thing I would do now that you have gotten this far is verify that you are decoding Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS Digital 5.1. In most cases it will be the Dolby Digital that you see because it is most popular. You can tell this because your receiver display will say right on it. It will say Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital EX, DTS 5.1 or something like it. If you have High Def Cable you should see this for many if not all of your high Def stations. You may have to cycle thru the listening modes with the remote to get to it.

It should also say this for your DVD although with the DVD player you may have to go into the setup of the DVD player and select bitstream for the audio output. For this it should just say Dolby Digital 5.1 or EX once the movie starts and you should not have to cycle thru the listening modes to see it.

Let me know if you see what I have described because there maybe a little more tweaking to do as far as the physical setup is concerned if you do not.

Another very important factor with the DVD is that your video output be set to Progressive. The reason for this while some may disagree is because technically this is a high def output. It is the lowest form of it but is high def and is call 480P. The standard setting for DVD is what is called 480i. The point is that progressive or 480p will give you a much better picture and we are talking night and day so its worth the investment in verifying you have it set this way!

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
John S

OK, now we are on the same page. I do not disagree with most of what you said. What I was disagreeing with you on from the on set of this discussion was that I believe that BD is going to dominate and I never said that it would happen over night.

I do not disagree with you on the limited public awareness of what they have invested in. This is pretty obvious just based on the questions we get in these forums. I guess that is why they have us :-). My guess is that these consumers do not even know how or why to select progressive output on the DVD players they have! Lets remember that this same reality existed for Personal Computers but this did not quench the public curiosity and there are many quite computer literate users out there now that depend quite heavily on PC's for everyday existence. Not knowing what they were getting in to was not a factor. They started small and eventually figured out what they were doing then invested even more into expanding their dependency. I believe the same thing will occur with high def and while it may take some time people will no doubt become literate in high def. The industry apparently has this same confidence in consumers or the myriad of devices that are out there for purchase would not exist.

I do disagree that SSD will make Disk in whatever form obsolete. What we are talking about simply is a delivery system with both systems having the same result. It stands to reason that the lesser expensive of those delivery systems will be used. As I said before it is not about the best way it is about the most profitable way.

I do now agree with you concerning ON Demand. We are a much longer way off for that then we are for disk based delivery system. Which comes first the chicken or the egg? :-)

Your point on DVD being successful because it was the format being promoted by Blockbuster and Hollywood is exactly mine. BD is the format being promoted by them as the next step. I do disagree that on the average TV of the day that VHS was so much better than DVD. It was better but it was not like where has this been all my life or anything. The same applies when asking the question will the public think that BD is so much better. I think the point we are missing is that the lack of literacy in this area can have two effects. One being do I really want that and the other with the consumer just trusting that its a better product. If people were buying DVD because of improved sound, Dolby and DTS then that sort of disqualifies our belief that this is a matter of ignorance. My first impression on the improved sound and even progressive scan is that they are still mysteries to the average consumer even if they have owned DVD for years.. Again this disqualifies our beliefs that BD will not take off because of the publics literacy in high definition.

In summary if ignorance of the technology is going to stop any area of the high def industry (or any technological industry) to fail then the high def industry is in BIG trouble. All People know is that it is supposed to be better and that is all they will know until they have immersed themselves in it and figure out what they are doing!

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Also John Added to previous post.

One more point concerning an SSD delivery system. I agree that in the long run a delivery system of this type would be cheaper for us (the consumer) because there are no moving parts and would obviously last longer than anything involving moving parts. The point is that for the industry it would obviously not be because of its reliablity and this is the variable that will determine this. The industry will do what is more profitable for them not us. Remember the fight between VHS and Beta. Beta was better and lasted longer but VHS won. The reason for this is the same. The reason VHS stock was invested in was because it was not as reliable as Beta and for this reason the industry stood to make more money on VHS. I think that for the same reason BD will be invested in because it would not be as reliable as SSD and the industry will stand to profit more from it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hi Jeff, followed all the instructions and everything is set up per your info. I wrote to Onkyo on the code for the dvd player so we will see if they come up with anything...

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Jackie,

Ok, there are just a couple more things I can really help you with then other than maybe giving some insight on speaker placement. The next thing I would do now that you have gotten this far is verify that you are decoding Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS Digital 5.1. In most cases it will be the Dolby Digital that you see because it is most popular. You can tell this because your receiver display will say right on it. It will say Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital EX, DTS 5.1 or something like it. If you have High Def Cable you should see this for many if not all of your high Def stations. You may have to cycle thru the listening modes with the remote to get to it.

It should also say this for your DVD although with the DVD player you may have to go into the setup of the DVD player and select bitstream for the audio output. For this it should just say Dolby Digital 5.1 or EX once the movie starts and you should not have to cycle thru the listening modes to see it.

Let me know if you see what I have described because there maybe a little more tweaking to do as far as the physical setup is concerned if you do not.

Another very important factor with the DVD is that your video output be set to Progressive. The reason for this while some may disagree is because technically this is a high def output. It is the lowest form of it but is high def and is call 480P. The standard setting for DVD is what is called 480i. The point is that progressive or 480p will give you a much better picture and we are talking night and day so its worth the investment in verifying you have it set this way!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hi Jeff, I called Onkyo and they gave me three codes for my Toshiba and none work. I'm a little disappointed as none of the codes in the book or the ones they gave me work. I did set up the dvd player and it shows the DOlby Digital 5.1, the receiver shows DTS. The receiver shows DTS as well, everything showed up as you said. I'm moving my living room around a little before finally settling on the location of the speakers and then the wiring can be ran through the walls.
Everything is sound good, It does blow the sony out of the water....so I'm happy.....Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Great news!

If you are realy concerned about having a remote that will do everything then your best option would be purchasing a universal remote that will truly do everything. The onkyo remote will probably do a lot but I doubt that even with working codes that it will control everything the way you seem to be interested in. There are univeral remotes out there that will have codes for everything and that will even learn functions of other remotes by directing the other remotes infrared output for the desired function into a sensor on the universal remote. Logitech makes some good ones. I have not done any research on this for a while so I don't know what the best bang for the buck would be but they are out there. I am afraid where universal remotes that you acquire as part of a product that you have purchased, like the onkyo in this situation, that you will find that they do not do everything the way you seem to want. It has nothing to do with it being the Onkyo remote as this would be true for any remote of this type. Hence the market for universal remotes with this capability. Unfortunately we are still sort of in the dark ages where this is concerned!

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
John, Where did you go? :-)

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2187
­
I'm still around. Still watching Cilus' owner set up his HT. Been kind of slow around here. Been on other sites. Thought you might find this interesting.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42276

Does your 705 get hot?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
It gets warm I would not really call it hot. It has 2 cooling fans and some fairly large heatsinks. It says right on the top of the unit that the temps it reaches are normal to its operation. I think I have noticed similar temps on pretty much any receiver that I have had contact with.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Jackie, IF you are still around. I bought this universal remote today and it works great. Controls everything for a fraction of the cost of others. Its only $30.00. The others I saw went from $60 to $1000. Can't see why anyone would do that when this controls anything anyway you would want..

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Universal-7-Device-Remote-Control-with-Learning-F unction-R7G/sem/rpsm/oid/136939/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us