Direct Mode or DD/DTS

mike
I was wondering if anyone knows what the processing difference between direct mode and regular DD or DTS mode. Ive seen this mode on a few receivers but in my case Im taking about a Denon 1803. I have noticed that in direct mode you have to turn the volume up higher to get the same volume level you would otherwise but I really cant hear any real difference in sound quality. Is there a difference?

Derek
Direct Mode bypasses all proccessing. You will only hear what's in the source signal and no more. Pro-Logic would be disabled for stereo (digital) sources an dthe tone controls are bypassed.

Hope this helps.

mike
Thanks for the reply Derek. You said you hear whats in the source signal and no more. Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt a receiver HAVE to process or decode the soundtrack in one way or another in order to hear it? If it bypasses ALL processing then does this mean you are not listening to true Dolby Digital or DTS tracks? Sorry, I'm just still a little confused at how the info is processed compared to regular modes. I clearly see the diff between regular DD or DTS and some matrixed modes such as PLII. But I dont quite yet get the difference with Direct. Why would Direct be more appealing then regular DD or DTS mode. Comments?

Derek
It is possible for you to be listening to a DD 2.0 or 2.1 soundtrack and not know it. Do you always go into a DVD's audio setup menus and select DD 5.1? Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon and The Fifth Element are two DVDs that default to 2.0. The receiver can actually apply Pro-Logic II to a DD signal and fool you.

The major reason is to bypass the tone controls though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us