Chosing speakers

Username: Duyhung

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
I'm a complete noob when it comes to home theater speakers system. My family recently bought a Sony Bravia HDTV, and now i want to build a HTPC. I currently have a pair of Jamo E630 front speakers, an amplifier from Pioneer that support 100x5 watts which my Dad bought a long time ago. The question is now i want to find surround and center speakers that match my Jamo E630, but since i live in Viet Nam i have little choice to make. I read that the Jamo E6CEN, E6SUR, E6SUB are designed to match the E6 series (i found about it in this forum too), but they are no where to be found in VN. If i match the Jamo E630 with other surround and center, will it work ? I also want to ask what should i look for when finding speakers?
Another question is i'm connecting my PC to the HDTV using D-sub cable. Will component video output and DVI to HDMI cable make any different ?
Sorry for my long post, but i'm a complete noob about this.
Thanks for all your advice! And thanks to the forum, your forum is very informative!!

Best Regards,

Duy Hung

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2133
­
In my opinion, matching the center speaker with the fronts is critical. The idea is to achieve a seamless front soundstage, and this cannot be done with a center that sounds radically different from the main speakers. I cannot recommend any substitute for Jamo's E6CEN.5, E7CEN, or E8CEN.2 centers as a match for your E360s. (Another E360 would work very well too.)

You may find some help from Jamo's only factory dealer in Vietnam:

AD CO., LTD.
148/8D Xo Viet Nghe Tinh St, Ward 25.
Ho Chi Minh City
BINH THANH DIST
VIET NAM

Phone: 8 89 83 424
Email: ad@hcm.vnn.vn

With the rears, the choice becomes more flexible. A pair of Jamo dipole surround speakers would be ideal, but in a pinch any good, well-made small 2-way speaker will do. Timbre matching the rears with the fronts isn't quite so critical.

Component most likely won't make much difference since D-sub and component are both analogue RGB types. Going DVI®HDMI won't work because your PC's output is not HDCP compliant, which disables the TV's HDMI input.
­

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2134
­
"I read that the Jamo E6CEN, E6SUR, E6SUB are designed to match the E6 series (i found about it in this forum too), but they are no where to be found in VN."

Sorry, I forgot about this in your post. The only thing I can recommend is to try (in your home, if possible) different speaker combinations. There could very well be more than one acceptable substitute available for your center/surround speakers. Any speaker set will "work", but what you're looking for is speakers that sound similar to the E360s. They don't have to be sonically identical, just close enough that they don't constantly call attention to themselves.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us