No Tv Audio Outputs

Username: Treekieffer

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a LCD 37 inch Magnavox, bought a sony home theatre. My Problem is My tv has no audio outputs, so i had to hook up the theatre through the comcast HD box, but now i have lost my Tv Volume. Is there a way to get more Audio Inputs on my system? DO they make such a Spliter to get more audio outputs? I would like to hear my tv with the system, but i cannot. Any Suggestions? I have been to circuit city 3 times today, and they will not help, they just tell me to pay the 300.00 installation fee, i will not do that after paying 1200 for the tv and theatre system. Please Help!!

Teresa

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2128
Teresa, I think all you need is two 1 male to 2 female Y adapters. You would plug each of these into the Cable box's red/white audio outputs. This would enable you to run a stereo audio cable from these lines to the inputs of the TV and the Sony home theater simultaneously. The Y adapter looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Arista-18-002-Y-Adapter-Female/dp/B00009V6QF

Post Number: 2
You are awesome i will go check that out today, and see if we work. thanks

teresa

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 20
John is indeed correct in how to solve the "problem" but the question then becomes, how is your video to the TV hooked up? In other words Teresa, what cables do you have running to the back of the TV?

Post Number: 3
To the back of my Tv the only cord i have running are the HD comcast cords for High Definition. I do not have any Input outs on my TV. I have 1 audio out put and that is on my receiver. So I hooked the Sony Receiver up to the comcast audio out. That was my only option, but by doing that, i lost the sound from the tv because the sound was hooked up through the comcast box. So confusing. I guess I just need to find out how to get 1 more audio out on my system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
So you have component video wire (Red, Green, Blue) from your cable box to your TV?

Post Number: 4
Correct I have a Green, Blue and Red cord from my Comcast box to the back of the tv, i aslo have a white and red into the audio in on the back of the tv.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
If the video portion is hooked up correctly (so that you actually get HD) then the question gets back to the audio portion. IF you plan to use both your Sony and your TV (at the same time) for audio, I would urge you to reconsider. I doubt you will enhance the the sound from the Sony with your TV's speaker system. If you are looking to use one or the other at different times (such as late night or during the news) then the splitter will work by simply not turning on the Sony and using your TV remote then for volume.

Post Number: 5
My thing is The subwoofer that came with my Sony system is Horrible, so what i was wanting to figure out is if i can a audio out to get my tv working, i can unplug my tv speakers and hook up a new subwoofer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
If you have a new subwoofer why not just directly replace the Sony sub? In other words, replace the sub that you don't like with one that you do. The audio amplifier in your TV is not the best source for a subwoofer output.

Post Number: 6
Well because i cannot find a new subwoofer with the same attachment as the one i have. (subwoofer has NO bass) Do you have any recommendations on a subwoofer with good bass that has the set up as below. See how the speakers attach into the system color coded? not with speaker wiring, which is really all i know, i am old school..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I see the problem now! If you can't find a Sony subwoofer with the same connector then, if it were me, I would get out my wire cutters (very old school)!!! Just leave some wire near the speaker side connector in case you need to splice it back together.

Any powered subwoofer ought to have "Line In" terminals to which you can hook the subwoofer wire to.

I understand that Costco is going to have a big sale on a decent Klipsch subwoofer in March.

Post Number: 7
Thanks thats what i was looking for, yes very old school but we do what we can do, i should have really shopped around before finding this system, if i knew it was this much hassle i would have just said "forget it" thanks a lot Jim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Glad to help!

Post Number: 8
last thing, nephew just brought me over a awesome sony woofer, it plugs into the wall, and has 1 cord , the cord plugs into the speaker which says (audio in) where and how can i plug that other end into my system with no more audio outs? is that when i go buy that "Y" adapter John was talking about?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
do(es) the "audio in" connector look like the RCA type connector from the back of the DVD player (what we have been calling the "Sony")? if so, then yes John's splitters are back in play. You can check to make sure by moving the wire from the back of the DVD player to the new sub, you should get a lot of bass! When that happens you will need to buy the splitter(s) and another RCA patch cable. split the output of your cable box, make the connections to both the DVD Player and the Subwoofer and you should be in business.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2129
­
Replacing the original passive sub with a powered one will work, especially if:

1. The new sub has two line inputs so that Teresa can divert the cable box's stereo outputs into it. If there's only one then the Y adaptor would combine the two channels at the subwoofer.

2. The new sub has a adjustable crossover. Without some sort of crossover, the sub would be asked to reproduce the full audio spectrum. This would diminish its effectiveness as a bass reproducer.

3. The new sub has a volume control. Obviously, this is needed to balance the sub's output with the other speakers, since the Sony's master volume control will have no effect on it. This would require a separate volume adjustment on the subwoofer itself everytime the Sony's volume is changed.

Now if Teresa is willing to live with all that, then the question becomes where is the bass going to come from when she plays a DVD or a CD?

Also, using this new sub means we're back to no sound on the TV speakers again.

This is not a great plan. Upload This is example number 10,623 on this forum that illustrates why the majority of home theaters in a box -- even as cheap as they are -- are a waste of money.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us