Help with first HT setup for @5K

Username: Martyocean

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Hello, finally planning a Home Theater after waiting for prices to drop. Prices have come down and they'll probably drop more/fast with the prediction of US future economy. Anyhow, I'm good to go and picked out some equipment and would appreciate some advice/suggestions since I'm a newbee.
Got 2 homes planning to spend 5K in each on a home theater by getting basically the same equipment for each. Both homes have Dish Satellite. For home #1 found a credenza on eBay -- should be delivered next week.

I'm looking at prices at sites like ShopDigitalCorp.com. First question, is there room to expect a major discount when I bundle 2 each of the following?
Panasonic TH-50PX750U
Denon AVR 4308CI
PlayStation3 w/BlueRay
Panemax Max5400-EX conditioner
Wire accessories
5.1 surround speakers

The receiver pushes 140 watts per channel. I've been recommended to JBL speakers which I heard and like also since they have small wall units for the back but they are rated 100 watts per. Does that mean when the receiver bolume is cranked the speakers will blow?

All comments are much appreciated, thanks - Marty

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15056
What receiver did they tell you pushes 140 watts per channel?

I know that the Denon does not, if they tell you it is, walk the other way...fast!

So relax, the speakers you are looking at will not blow. I am not a big JBL fan for home audio...I think they lack detail, but your experience will be different, so trust your own ears.

If you get the chance, try and see if you can hear Paradigm speakers. I like them a lot better than JBLs.

Username: Martyocean

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 2
That's a relief, I'm going nuts browsing for small speaker wall mounts rated at 150 watts. Nearly all are 100 watts, at least the ones I like.

Denon's web site is listing power output of 140 watts per channel for the 4308CI. This is the receiver I'm zeroing in on. I really like the Denon 3808CI claiming 130W per/chan but 4000 series steps up to an additional HDMI out and Wi-Fi which I can use, + a few other features.

So the loose plan is to look for a 5.1 Surround Kit. The subwoofer is generally 150 watts. Should I be looking for a woofer with more output? The TV is in a 13'x18' room viewing TV across the 13' dimension.

If you are familiar with RMS can you give me a quick overview on it.
i.e. "subwoofer 300 watts peak, 150 watts RMS"
Thanks, Marty

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2123
­
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2676/test-bench-denon-avr-4308ci-av-r eceiver.html

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15069
The Deonon is a great receiver, but you are far too hung up on the wattage ratings and the claimed output which will really make choosing very difficult.

So set that aside for now.

What speakers are available in your area? Being in Brooklyn, you should have plenty of choices. Use your ears and bring your own material for listening.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 22
Here is why Berny is right:

RMS=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us