SPDIF to RCA Conversion Options Needed

Username: Pamhartley

Central Valley, CA USA

Post Number: 1
We have a Spectre X46 television that has a SPDIF Optical Out and our home entertainment system is a Sony DVD Home Theater System has only RCA left and right (red & white) audio.

We need to convert these - is there a cable, or do we have to use some sort of conversion box to do this? Specific suggestions (brand, website where we can order, etc.) much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pam

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2111
­
http://cgi.ebay.com/TOSlink-Digital-to-Analog-Stereo-Audio-Converter-DAC_W0QQite mZ160204435885QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Montgomery, IL USA

Post Number: 103
Are you saying that your TV has optical out, but not RCA out?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2112
­
"Are you saying that your TV has optical out, but not RCA out?"

Apparently, that is the case. Until now, I didn't believe anybody sold a modern TV without analog audio outs.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=32856 46

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11214671
­

Silver Member

Montgomery, IL USA

Post Number: 104
Also, there's the issue that Pam may not even need to connect her TV to her receiver. If she has a receiver, then I assume she has external speakers, in which case she doesn't need to use her TV speakers and can just connect her sources directly to her receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14909
Sorry Pam there is no cable that convert optical audio to analog. The closest thing you can get to a converter is a new receiver that will take optical audio inputs.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2113
­
Nathan, Pam's "receiver" is a combo DVD/amp. It is part of an inexpensive HTiB that only has one red/white analog audio input. The only "source" she's got to hook up to it is the TV itself, since she's using either an OTA antenna or basic cable. And the only output on that TV is optical.

Either the gadget I cite above, or as Berny suggests, a real AVR would solve the problem here.

But I think we're talking to ourselves. I suspect Pam has left in disgust because it's pretty obvious that it'll cost over $100 to solve her problem.
­

Silver Member

Montgomery, IL USA

Post Number: 105
If she's using straight cable (no set top box) or an antenna, she could use her VCR as a tuner and run the audio from her VCR to her receiver (and RF coax to the TV, of course).

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2114
­
Yes, that would work on regular analog NTSC signals. But it isn't a solution for any HD OTA signals, or any HD (or non-HD) digital channels her QAM tuner can pick up on a cable feed.

And even this limited solution will vanish one year from next Sunday.....

Are they really going to do it this time???
­

Username: Pamhartley

Central Valley, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Hello again :-)

Thank you all for your answers - I have not disappeared in disgust (though I may be taking my TV back if necessary, I'd prefer to work it out because I actually like the TV).

My husband is working with some of the suggestions and I need to add some more info (because I neglected to let you all know that we are also working with a Charter Cable DVR here... my bad) if those don't work.

I truly appreciate all the help!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2117
­
Pam, that Charter DVR almost certainly has red/white R/L audio outputs that you can hook into the Sony and get the TV sound on your surround system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us