Help with multiple A/V connections

i know answers have been posted to this problem before, but i need help to hook all of this up to my stereo system where everything works through the speakers.... ok here is specifically what i have.
1) TV with 1 input(3 holes) and 1 output (2 holes)
2) DVD with digital coaxial out, line out(3 hole) and S video out
3) VCR with 1 input on back (3 holes), 1 output in back (3 holes) and 2nd input in front (3-holes)
4)AIWA stereo system with 5.1 ch input, video/aux (L+R), s-video, and optical. thanks for any help or diagrams anyone can provide, kevin (i'm having a heck of a time)

qdog
here is a link, hope it helps...

http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_8-wiring.html

Derek
You actually do not have enough connections to do this correctly. Having some type of A/V switcher like http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1977 or a different receiver would make this a lot easier. There's a link on that web page to a good connection diagram in the Owners Manual section.

Hope this helps.

thanks derek, that's about what i figued. i'll go pick that up tomorrow.

Tom Drabant
I would really like to get my HT hooked up right! I have a Sony STR-DE915 Digital AVR, a Model HIRD-E86 Hughes HD Sat Receiver, a Mitsubishi WS-55809 HD TV and a "combo" Samsung Model DVD-V1000 DVD/VCR. I am using a regular antenna to get my local programing and everything seems to work but I am certain I do not have it all tied together for optimum performance. The AVR has optical inputs and composite inputs but no S video. The DVD/VCR has component and S video outs for the DVD and composite ins and outs for the VCR as well as line out. The Sat has S video and component outs and composite outs. The TV has 3 composite inputs w/S video and a monitor output as well as a PIP output which has audio only. It also has two component high res 480 inputs and one DTV 480i/480p/1080i high res inputs. What is the best way to hook this mess up for optimal performance? Thanks! Tom

Derek
I would run the SAT and the DVD/VCR to the TV and run a fixed line-out from the TV to the receiver. That will give you the best picture.

See my March 27th and April 7 posts in Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up for more details.

I just bought DirecTV with Hughes E86 HD Receiver, and I have a Mitsubishi WS55898 HDTV, and Sony STR-K840P Dolby Digital Receiver, Sony DVP-NC615 DVD. I am having a hard time getting it hookup up to the inputs DTV 480i/480p/1080i high res input to get full 1080i and best picture. I am current using the S-Video but want to get best picture with component video. Can you tell me if the Hughes E86 is compatible with my TV, and how I can get this hookup up right.

Thanks

Sam Hamilton
I just bought DirecTV with Hughes E86 HD
Correction, Mitsubishi WS55859 HDTV

Receiver, and I have a Mitsubishi WS55898 HDTV, and Sony STR-K840P Dolby Digital Receiver, Sony DVP-NC615 DVD. I am having a hard time getting it hookup up to the inputs DTV 480i/480p/1080i high res input to get full 1080i and best picture. I am current using the S-Video but want to get best picture with component video. Can you tell me if the Hughes E86 is compatible with my TV, and how I can get this hookup up right.

Thanks

Anonymous
How to hookup TV with no scart sockets to a
VCR,DVD,SAT,all with two scarts each

Anonymous
For anyone having trouble getting the hughes hd receiver to display a 1080i hd signal to a hd tv, understand that this sat receiver will put out 480i OR 1080i, not both. to get the 1080i output to function through the component video cable, you have to press the yellow function or action button followed by the number key with the yellow HD/SD icon above it. This switches the sat receiver output back and forth from either 480i (SD) on coax, composite, or S-Vid, TO 1080i on component. Hope this helps.

can any one help me here
i want to use my component video output jacks on my dvd player to hook up to my av receiver the component video out jacks on dvd are green,blue&
red..jacks on the receiver are yellow,white &red
So what color would green go to?...red to what color?... blue to what color?... useing optical digital audio for sound
answers kraigleary@msn.com or kraigleary@yahoo.com

Anonymous
Hook the the DVD component to your TV that has (hopefully) the green/red/blue jacks that you need. Your AV receiver dosen't support component video. Red & white jacks are always audio and may not be needed if using a optical or coaxal digital outout.

Anonymous
i am hooking up an high def decoder cable box with an hdtv monitor with a built in dvd player,digital receiver,and a hifi vcr.
hitachi 46w500 hdtv
kenwood 509 digital receiver
panasonic pv9660 vcr
thanks

Mr56
Unregistered guest
DTS decoding problem...
I have a Hitachi 46W500 w/ built in DVD player,
and a Panasonic SA-HE200. The Panasonic says it has a DTS decoder, but when I put in my DTS AUDIO DVD, I can't get any sound through my Panasonic.
Question: Does the Hitachi built in DVD player decode the DTS signal, or does it even need to?

Username: Project6

Post Number: 20
Mr56,
Did you go back and do the set up on your dvd player?
And also there a dvd players that cannot play DVD-Audio discs.
cheers

Post Number: 21
and also, are you using the optical output of your hitachi? Has it been configured to put out digital signals. I was looking at the owner's manual of the Hitachi 46w500 and I did not see any way to configure the audio outputs except for treble, bass and auto volume control or something to that effect.
Your panasonic receiver is capable of decoding DTS signals but the hitachi should be putting out those signals so the receiver can flag it and decode it accordingly.
hope it works out
cheers

Mr56
Unregistered guest
Berny,
Thanks for the replies. I am using the optical output from the hitachi. I also do not see anyway within the setup options of the Hitachi to effect the output from the DVD player, other then bitstream or PCM. (tried both.) It does pick up the digital signals from hitachi dvd player with digital CD's, and movie DVDs, but nothing from the DTS encoded audio disk.
I remain .. in search of the lost cord. :-)

Post Number: 29
can your unit detect movies with a DTS soundtrack? Sometimes you have to select the DTS soundtrack from the movie menu, too.
Also, some dvd-audio disks put out a 96/24 DTS and not all receivers can detect this.
cheers

Mr56
Unregistered guest
I'm not a big movie buff, (I don't even own any DVD's) and have never had to change any settings with movies I have watched. My receiver is supposed to decode even the 96/24 DTS signals, so I think the lack of decoding is happening at the DVD.
Still in search of that lost cord.

Unregistered guest
I have a dvd player, vcr and receiver hooked up all together. I dont have a picture on the tv when i play a vhs, but I have sound. What do I do to get a picture can anyone help me please?

JShic
Unregistered guest
I have a Hughes 86 HD DirecTV receiver and would like to know if I hooked up a digital cable tv input vice a analog regular cable input if I would be able to receive the local station programming, IE The Superbowl in high definition.

Unregistered guest
Hi all! Ok, here's my situation... I have an A/V receiver, A DVD player, a VCR, a SAT receiver and a T.V. I am trying my hardest to do the whole "Home Theatre Thing".

Ok, My DVD player has 1 S-Video, 1 Composite (A/V OUT), and 1 Coax/Opti. My VCR has 2 Composite (A/V IN/OUT), and 2 RF (IN/OUT). My SAT has 1 S-Video, 1 Composite (A/V IN/OUT)and 1 RF (OUT). My T.V. has 1 S-Video, 2 Composite (A/V IN/OUT), AND 1 RF (IN).

I got the A/V Receiver to switch on the SAT (T.V.) and the DVD, but NOT the VCR. No matter what I try, it DOESN'T work.

I have an S-Video cable going out from the SAT receiver in to the "SAT IN" on the A/V receiver. I then have an S-Video cable going out from the T.V. to the "MONITOR IN" on the A/V receiver. Then I have an S-Video cable going out from the DVD player to the "DVD IN" on the A/V receiver. All works well. But... when I used composite cables from the VCR to the "VCR IN" on the A/V receiver and the used another set of those cables for the "OUT", it didn't work. I even tried having the cables going in to the T.V. using the Composite A/V in on the back on the T.V. and then running it throiugh the A.V. receiver, it still didn't work.

My T.V.is a new 27in. Panasonic Srereo T.V. Unfortunately, it lacks for inputs/outputs and ion the manual it staes that if using S-Video and Composite video on the back of the unit, the S-Video takes presedence over the Composite. Could this be contributing to my problem?

I want everything running through my new A/V receiver. When I push SAT, we can watch T.V. When I push DVD, we can watch movies. When I push VCR, we can watch movies (vhs). So on and so on. This is how it should work, so why isn't it? Pleeeeeeaaaaaase help! Thanks so much.

Tasha

PS- Could using all S-Video and then adding the Composite video (VCR) be the problem? If so, I bought an S-Video adaper so I can attach it to the back of the yellow video composite cable and turn that into an S-Video. IT DIDN'T WORK still!! What am I missing?

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony STR-K840P Dolby Home Theater and A Sony Big Screen HDTV. The DVD Player and the Digital Cable Box are hooked up and working, but I do not have the instructions to hook up the Receiver and Speakers for surround Sound. Can anyone help?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
here's a manual
http://media-server.amazon.com/media/mole/MANUAL000025345.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us