New system for small room

Username: Kicks82

Post Number: 1
Hi all - I have a small living room, about 14' x 11' and a Sony Dream system which I hate. I'm ready for a new system.

I've heard good things about the Yamaha or Onkyo receivers and looking at Bose speakers.

Any thoughts on what would work best?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14634
Budget for receiver and speakers?

...and before you decide on getting Bose, consider and listen to other speakers first and compare them against the Bose.

Post Number: 2
Budget is under $2k, and preferably under $1500. What speakers should I listen to besides the Bose?

Silver Member
Username: Huron

If theres no...

Post Number: 387
anything but bose and anything but yamaha and onkyo, hears what I do, go to a few high end stores and then listen to some quality stuff, then work your way down to your budget but dont get caught up on the sales man trying to sell over your means and sometimes you can get clearace stuff for a good price, look on line you might find that killer deal, take your time dont by something that your going to hate later like it sounds like you did,
speakers, axiom, paradigm, wharfedale, ERA, stuff like that.
receivers, NAD, H/K Cambridge,
do your research

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
hears a site I have bought stuff from that has great deals http://ayselectronics.com?index.php?main_page=index&cPath=155

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14645
Jonathan, what is available in your area. It is difficult to recommend anything if you do not have access to some of the equipment I would recommend.

How do you feel about internet sales?

Post Number: 3
I'm good with internet sales - but I live in NYC so I have access to just about anything I would think.

On second thought, $1500 is probably the high end of what i can do and would like to stay in the $1000-1500 range.

Any thoughts on good places to go in the NY area?

Post Number: 4
Thoughts on the H/K CP 55? Looks like it would work well for what I'm doing here and stay well within my price range would be great too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
I wouldnt go for the 55, if it were my money I would get everything separate, example: you could get the cambridge 540R v2 $500, wharfedale 9.2`S for $300, 9cs for $200, 9.1`s for the back for $200, then save up for a nice sub later, this would blow that H/K combo out of the water,

but theres a problem, you problibly wouldnt find wharfedale in a store to listen to and some people dont like the sound of the tweeters since there textile type, ERA tweeters sound simular, thats why you should go listening to speakers to find out what you like in sound, soft or bright, reading reviews like this helps, http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1105wharfedale/ but listening for yourself is the true test

Post Number: 5
Well guys, I pulled the trigger... I ended up with the Onkyo TX-SR605 and the Polk RM705 speaker package... I'm really happy with it and the sound really fills up the room. Hopefully next time I'm on this site will be after a few raises and a much bigger apartment and then I can really blow it out of the water.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us