No TV Volume after setting up Home Theater

Username: Gdjacobsen

Broomfiled, CO USA

Post Number: 1
Hello, I am hoping you can help me out or point me in the right direction concerning this. I am not getting any volume from my TV set speakers. The sound is coming out great from the Home Theater speakers though. I think I am missing something within the setup of things.

Here is what I have

TV - Vizio VX42L
Home Theater in a Box - Samsung HTTX72
Comcast cable Box

I am using HDMI cables to connect everything. I have the HDMI cable coming from the cable box to the Home Theater receiver, coming out of the receiver to the TV. These are the only audio/video cables I have hooked up. Like I said all the sound is coming from the Home Theater speakers. I would just like to have some sound from the TV to kinda balance things out.
Do I need a Digital Audio Cable from the Cable box to the TV to acomplish this or is it something else?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2091
­
Glen, your TV's HDMI 2 input has R/L red/white analog audio inputs. Connect those with the cable box's corresponding outputs. Then move the cable box's incoming HDMI cable to the TV's HDMI 2 input, if it isn't already there.

Broomfiled, CO USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks John, I see what you are saying. I will try this when I get home and report back.

Broomfiled, CO USA

Post Number: 3
Still not getting volume from the TV. I hooked up the red and white analog audio cables from the cable box to the TV analog plugs next to the HDMI 2 input. I then moved the HDMI cable that was plugged into HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. Still only getting volume through the Home Theater Speakers.

I looked at the directions again that came with the Home Theater and double checked the setup and it seems rights.
Cable Box > Home Theater > TV (all connected through HDMI) Somehow the Home Theater is overriding the volume from the TV I guess because the cable box is going to the Home Theater first and not the TV but this is way the diections told me.
Is there another way to do it?
Any ideas?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2095
­
I afraid I'm hitting a wall here. In theory, you should be able to hear both -- in other words, in addition to video, the Samsung should be passing audio on its HDMI output that is usable by the TV.

I would try hooking up the cable box's output directly to the Vizio and see if you get audio on the TV's speakers then. If you do, then there's something wrong with the Samsung's "pass-through" and it is apparently stripping the audio off the HDMI signal as it goes out to the TV.

The Samsung has something called "Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)" that I'm not familiar with. It is some sort of convenience feature, and requires a Samsung TV for it to work. With this feature turned on you can listen to either the audio system or the TV sound, but not both. See page 22. I don't think this is your problem, though.

The analog audio inputs on the Vizio's HDMI2 are there strictly in case someone wants to hookup an older device (such as a cable box) with the older DVI output. DVI doesn't carry audio so you'd need the analog hookup to hear the TV's speakers. I figured that since the TV is apparantly not getting audio on its HDMI input, these analog inputs would work.
­

Broomfiled, CO USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks John,

I am kinda stumped myself. I hooked up the cable box to the TV and the volume works fine through the TV speakers. Also I just started to get these blank green screens while watching TV through the home theater system. Audio comes through but no picture. If I power off and on the receiver the picture comes back but it has happened 4 times now and I think there is something wrong with the home theater system. I am thinking of returning it.

Glen

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2102
"Is there another way to do it?"

Glen, there's some HDMI gremlins at work here. I think it'll be a long time before all HDMI devices are bug-free.

Why don't you permanently run HDMI directly from the cable box to the TV? You know you get audio off that cable this way. Then you could run a standard optical cable from the cable box to the Samsung's optical audio input. There would be no audio compromise in doing this, since the highest level of audio on the cable is Dolby Digital 5.1, and your Samsung's optical input is perfectly able to handle that.

If your cable box has a coax instead of an optical output, then all you need is a coax optical converter. With this hookup, you could watch TV and not even have to turn on the Samsung if you didn't want to.

Also, by bypassing the Samsung's HDMI input, you would (or should) eliminate your recent video glitches.

Broomfiled, CO USA

Post Number: 5
John, I see what you are saying by bypassing the Home Theater and just having the Optical Input connected from Samsung to the Cable Box. Question? I know I will get audio this way but if I want to play a DVD then won't I lose the video?

Something that I found while playing around in the menu options of the DVD. There is an HDMI (on - off) option. If I turn it on I get volume through the TV speakers but no volume through the HTS speakers. If its off then I get volume through the HTS but not the TV.

One other thing going on to top all these issues. With the current setup I have Cable Box > HTS > TV. I am getting an occasional blank "green" screen that fills the screen while watching tv. the audio is still playing though. I thought it was a fluke issue but it has happened about 5 times now. The screen just goes green right in the middle of watching TV. This did not happen when I first got the TV and just had the cable box hooked up. If I turn the HTS off and on then the video comes back. This tells me the HTS or the HDMI cables off of the HTS are causing the issue. What is your take on that?

Thank You for your replies!!!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2105
­
I think it's time we eliminate the cable box's HDMI passing through the HTS. HDMI outputs on cable boxes are notoriously bad when they're passed through HTSs, AVRs, and even simple switch boxes. So don't be so quick to blame the HTS or cables for this green screen problem. It is most likely the cable box itself protesting this "interloper" between it and the TV. So I believe we can eliminate this problem by bypassing the HTS as I suggested in my post above.

Here's what I'd do. First, connect the cable box's HDMI output to the TV's HDMI 1 input. To see the video from the cable box you select HDMI 1 on the TV. As you already know, you will also hear audio on the TV's internal speakers.

Second, connect the cable box's digital audio output to the HTS's digital audio in. Hopefully, your cable box has an optical output to match the Samsung's optical in. As I mentioned earlier, if your box has coax out only, you'd need a converter. Once that's done, you'd select "Digital In" with the "AUX" button on the Samsung remote. Then you'd hear audio from the cable on your HTS in addition to the TV's speakers. Alternatively, you could elect to watch TV with the TV speakers only and not even use the HTS for audio. (I've never cared for the local news in surround.:-))

Meanwhile, you have the HTS's HDMI output hooked into the TV's HDMI 2 input. You would select that input on the TV to watch a movie. The problem I can't solve is whether you can have both the HTS speakers working simultaneously with the TV speakers. It's possible that this "HDMI on - off" option may go away when there's no HDMI cable on the HTS's input. It's also possible that you may not be able to use both sets of speakers during a movie, which makes the use, placement and setup of the HTS's center channel speaker critical.
­

Broomfiled, CO USA

Post Number: 6
I see exactly what you are saying. The cable box has an optical output. I will hook everything up the way you said it. I haven't had any green screens since I hooked the cable box directly to the TV. I will report back after I set it up.

I really appreciate the feedback!!!}

Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7
Greetings Glen and John,

You appear to be on the right track here, all I would add is that the Samsung is not likely to pass through the audio portion via HDMI. The Samsung designer was absolutely sure you would have no need for your TV speakers because you are using his surround sound system. He doesn't watch the news or stay up really late at night!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2109
­
And greetings to you Jim. Just because there's people like me who prefer not to use a TV's internal speakers, it doesn't mean a user shouldn't have the option to use them if he wants to. There should be an easy way to check which receivers strip the audio off an HDMI signal. Even digging through the fine print of an owner's manual often doesn't make it clear.
­

Broomfiled, CO USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks John! I hooked up everything just like you said it and now I can get sound from the TV and HTS. I haven't had the green screen either!

I want to thank you for your patience and all the replies!!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2110
­
Great news Dave.

So I take it that the "HDMI on - off" option went away?

Username: Glentrs

Post Number: 1
yup another glen,must be the name eh? well here goes..just bought an JVC TH-D50 HTS. my problem is i cant get speaker sound from it watching digital cable (comcast). DVD is ok tho. have optical hookup from console to receiver, HDMI- TV to receiver. composite jacks- TV to receiver. and white/red composite- receiver to console. any ideas? called jvc, they set it up that way told me to get the Opt cable, i did, still nothing also have a VHS connected with just cable wires on/off buttons have no effect.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 107
Hope this helps:

The initial setting for the audio input setting is
"COAX." When using OPTICAL terminal, change the
setting to "OPT" before playing back.

Setting the audio input for external components
Set the audio input of the external component for "VIDEO" (TH-D50/TH-D5/THD4).
1 Press "setting" button on remote

2 Select an appropriate audio input according to the audio connection.

You will want Optical or OPT.

That should do it!

Username: Glentrs

Post Number: 2
it did i also removed the red and white coax cables, as they were not necessary and actually interfered with the opt cable, i geuss everything will be fiber optic soon thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us