Analog Vs. Digital... Difference?

Username: Hiwifipi

Post Number: 1
What is the difference between Analog and Digital Audio, and can you mix and match these two formats? Also how can you tell the difference if your receiver is analog or digital?

Bronze Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 31
The technical differences between analog and digital are too complicated to just explain here. Basicly what you need to know is that your receiver is probably both and the difference is in the output you will get from the receiver. With digital you will be able to decode 5.1 or higher when you have a source that is either dolby digital or dts if you have a receiver that has this capability. With analog the ouput will be dolby pro-logic or just stereo this is also dependant on what type of receiver you have. You cannot actually mix them but you can connect both types to the receiver. What type of receiver is it -stereo or surround sound (5.1 or higher)??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Also with digital you do not have to have a dolby digital or dts source. When you process stereo it uses something called dolby pro logic which attempts to turn the stereo output into 5.1 or higher. As is said you can connect both types but there is really no reason to -one or the other will suffice.

Post Number: 2
the receiver is very old, so i am assuming its analog. its a 4 channel qx-949 pioneer receiver. the thing is i just got a brand new television and dvd player, and a friend gave me a brand new 5.1 speaker system setup, and i was wondering if i can hook up the speaker system to this receiver, becaues i do not see anywhere to attach the center speaker, or the sub...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
If I understand correctly -He gave you just the speakers and you want to use your old receiver?

Post Number: 3
right... i all i have is the new speakers, i don't have the money to purchase a newer receiver

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
OK, then you will only be able to attach four speakers to the receiver if that is what you mean by 4 channel. The only way to add more would be to use an impedance matching speaker selector that is protection enabled but there is no reason to do this as your output would still be stereo. Whatever you do do not try to attach more than one speaker to one output. The receiver will overheat, blow a fuse, or damage the receiver. There is no reason to add all the speakers he gave you and there is no way to connect a digital source to the receiver since its all analog. The 5.1 speakers he gave you will only be useful with a receiver that decodes the 5.1 surround sound. It could not hurt to attach 4 of the best speakers you have and position them in each corner of the room but this will still be just stereo. Make sure if you decide to do this that you do have 4 speaker outputs on the reciever -do not try to connect more than one speaker to one output. The subwoofer is also of no use to you without some kind of subwoofer out on the receiver.

Post Number: 4
awesome... that is exactly the answer i was looking for, thank you very much jeff!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us