Need help deciding on receiver

Username: K79miller

Post Number: 1
I'm a real newbie to all of this so need some help. I've tried other forums & haven't gotten much help so I'm hoping that I will have better luck here. First of all my room is 21x23 and it will be used 90%normal tv & 10% movies & music. Here's what I have so far:
TV: Panasonic plasma with 2 HDMI hookups
front speakers: Polk RTi8's
center: Polk CSi25
surround: Polk FXi's(not sure exactly which ones yet)
Sub: nothing picked out yet.

What I need help with is a receiver. I thinking about the Panasonic XR-55 or Onkyo 505. Does anyone have any thoughts on these 2 receivers with this setup? I'm open to any & all suggestions.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14281
Have you listened to anything else?

I am not particularly fond of the Panasonic, but I have known a lot of people really liking it. Keep in mind that it is a personal preference that Panasonic is not my cup of tea but you may end up liking it yourself.

The key is listening for yourself and let your ears decide.

Username: Timmboj

Post Number: 1
Me too. I need to buy a new receiver and want to make sure I get the right one. My main concern isn't sound so much as the right technology to simplify connections and process the latest Blu-Ray and Comcast HDTV programming. Initially I was just gonna buy something with HDMI ports in back, but it seems more complicated than that with all the digital technology happening out there. I was looking at getting a Sony STRDG910. Any suggestions?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14286
Check out the Pioneer VSX-1017 or the Harman Kardon AVR 146, 147 or 247. I would stay away from Sony receivers.

Username: K79miller

Post Number: 2
To be honest I haven't had a chance to go anywhere to listen to anything. I've just been doing alot of research on the net & reading alot of posts over on the avs forum. I live in a fairly small town so I'm going to have to drive 30 mi. just to go do a Best Buy & that is all that town has or go 100 mi to find a town with a few more stores to select from.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14291
That would make things difficult so it would be really important for you to make the right decision because you will be living with this product.

If Best Buy is all you've got, you may want to go there and listen to the products yourself. Connect the same speakers you have and bring your own media. It may not be the best possible scenario, but it can't hurt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us